Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Ask Diplo

Diplo, our union is about to go into collective bargaining shortly with the management and one of the points raised by some of the members is that none of the pay raises that we negotiate in our collective agreement should be passed on to the non-union members. This seems a little heartless, but I understand why they included it? What is your take?

What's a union ever done for me, a non-union member, so why should I join them?

Another question for Diplo: To Brexit or not to Brexit, that is the question.

No at the moment, as it stands, when the Union negotiates, the members get the increased pay STRAIGHT AWAY, and the non-Union members have to wait, but they get it like a few months later. Some of our members have stated that they believe that this is wrong and that you should only get the increase if you are a due-paying Union Member. Period. 

• Informative 1

Plans on the future and passions? Am a man of deep thoughts

@Baledwyr if that's the case, as long as the pay raise is greater than the union dues, everyone will just join. In some states in the US if an employers worksite unionizes, you don't even have a choice of opting out. Well you sort of do, you can reject membership, and they can't deny you the benefits such as payraises, but you are still legally obligated to pay union collective bargaining dues. So effectively you're still supporting the union financially.

The UK is the person who said they were leaving an hour ago and then strayed in the alcove by the front door and didn't move any further. Like Either go or stay stop pussy footing around. 

@Baledwyr The problem is that they need a way to continue after leaving the EU, without screwing the Irish question completely.

@Feanor I never thought that we could return to a time when we see armed guards and soldiers on the Northern Irish border and a new IRA with it.