DIPLONEWS
  • Don't miss DGL at 8PM EST rotating Saturdays and Sundays.
  • Diplo is getting an Ark server contact Duck for more information.
  • Want to play Dungeons and Dragons? Join D^3 to play now!
  • Want to watch movies with Diplo? Contact BaneBladeLuv for more info on movie night!
Sign in to follow this  
Thurr

Audiobook suggestions

Recently I got an audible subscription and now I'm looking for books to listen to.

Anyone got some good suggestions?

"Audible.com because people are so stupid now we need our books read to us like children" - Big Money Salvia

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

48 minutes ago, Feanor said:

"Audible.com because people are so stupid now we need our books read to us like children" - Big Money Salvia

Audible let's people listen to books while they're doing other passive things, like driving. Anything that let's people learn or listen to story in more places should be a good thing.

@Thurr I'm listening to Robert Greene's the Laws of Human Nature. I think a lot of what this guy says needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but a lot of it makes sense. He seems to reach a lot of the same conclusions Jordan Peterson reaches with different examples, and it's a good learning book.
https://www.audible.ca/pd/The-Laws-of-Human-Nature-Audiobook/B07DKR8G3D

If you're looking for true stories in the gaming realm, try Blood, Sweat, and Pixels. Basically the author goes behind the scenes to a bunch of games and describes the development process. There is definitely a game you've played on the list, and it's really interesting the stories behind the fun.
https://www.audible.ca/pd/Blood-Sweat-and-Pixels-Audiobook/B074P1C2XT

Posted (edited)

Stop being lazy, buy a kindle and read instead.

@CNiper Listening to audiobooks while driving is just as irresponsible as talking on a cellphone while driving, except that politicians are ignorant so that's why it's legal (or barely, depending on where you live).

Edited by WoAMapMaker
  • What? 1

1 hour ago, WoAMapMaker said:

Stop being lazy, buy a kindle and read instead.

@CNiper Listening to audiobooks while driving is just as irresponsible as talking on a cellphone while driving, except that politicians are ignorant so that's why it's legal (or barely, depending on where you live).

Should we also ban talk radio and music that has vocals in it? How are these things similar to having a conversation with somebody?

2 hours ago, CNiper said:

Should we also ban talk radio and music that has vocals in it? How are these things similar to having a conversation with somebody?

Books, especially the ones that are worth reading as an adult, require concentration to understand, unlike "talk radio" and music, in fact it's more than likely that you will miss what's going on on more "hard to read" books if you're doing something else, so you will either cause an accident/be caught in an accident or you will simply miss the point of the book.

• Creative 1

I would say most people are capable of listening to an audio book, and driving. 🤷‍♂️

22 hours ago, CNiper said:

Audible let's people listen to books while they're doing other passive things, like driving. Anything that let's people learn or listen to story in more places should be a good thing.

@Thurr I'm listening to Robert Greene's the Laws of Human Nature. I think a lot of what this guy says needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but a lot of it makes sense. He seems to reach a lot of the same conclusions Jordan Peterson reaches with different examples, and it's a good learning book.
https://www.audible.ca/pd/The-Laws-of-Human-Nature-Audiobook/B07DKR8G3D

If you're looking for true stories in the gaming realm, try Blood, Sweat, and Pixels. Basically the author goes behind the scenes to a bunch of games and describes the development process. There is definitely a game you've played on the list, and it's really interesting the stories behind the fun.
https://www.audible.ca/pd/Blood-Sweat-and-Pixels-Audiobook/B074P1C2XT

That's just it. Reading as an active process works differently in your brain then listening as a passive process. It's part of the essential difference between reading and television. Make time, read a book, exercise your brain.

• Like 1

Talking on a phone isn't illegal while driving. Handling a mobile device *is*. It's perfectly legal to take a phone call, as long as it's part of the cars onboard systems. Reading involves exactly the same components of the brain as having a conversation with another human being. Shall we ban speaking to other people in cars as well? 

The danger with cellphones in the car arises from the fact that people are distracted by the device itself, taking their focus off the function of the vehicle. An audiobook does none of those things. 

As for audiobook suggestions, I've just finished Mary Beard's book, SPQR, which is an excellent and concise history of the issues that divided the roman republic from a more common perspective than we usually see roman history presented. 

Edited by Ser_Fergus
  • This 1

33 minutes ago, Ser_Fergus said:

As for audiobook suggestions, I've just finished Mary Beard's book, SPQR, which is an excellent and concise history of the issues that divided the roman republic from a more common perspective than we usually see roman history presented. 

Sounds good! Will check it out.