Abdel

2020 US Presidential Election thread

Depends on who the Democratic nominee is. I think overall Biden has the worst chances of the top 4; Bernie has the best.

Bernie will win Iowa and New Hampshire, Biden will eek out a win in South Carolina against a Bernie on the warpath with momentum. 

I think Bernie would give Trump a run for his money in the debates. Of course there will be the Trump fans that will think the playground insults he hurls will constitute a victory no matter what. I think the Bernie will fling enough back to make Trump sweat. He won't be afraid to call out Trump on lies.

Edited by IamtheWalrus.

47 minutes ago, Spankfurt said:

I think Trump destroys Bernie in debates. I can't see any of the current crop taking on Trump and everything in his arsenal and coming out ontop

Debates overwhelmingly change very little in an election. Based on all empirical evidence Clinton largely whopped Trump in debates, but still ended up losing Electoral  college. Same in 2012- Obama annihilated Romney in two last debates after sleeping through the first one and it barely changed the dynamic of the race. 

5 minutes ago, Spankfurt said:

Imagine believing this 

I'm open to evidence supporting your view if you have any. Otherwise its just that, your view. 

>links online "polls" from Breitbart and Drudge

lol

How could Trump destroy Bernie? Trump is a coward, he hides behind his Twitter to talk to the world instead of to the press and constantly runs off to his campaign rallies for positive reinforcement. He lets in very little contradiction to his world. You get Trump on stage with someone who's actually willing to go toe-to-toe and I think the result could be very embarrassing for Trump. I could see Sanders bullying Trump. If a politician isn't playing on "classical" rules like Clinton did and Biden might, and Trump isn't engaging with fellow Republicans like in the primary, I think Trump is actually very exposed on stage. He's barely had to be tested at all in that sort of environment, I mean even against Clinton he was reduced to blubbering no puppet no puppet.

• Cheers 1

"No puppet, no puppet--you're the puppet!" Lol, I forgot about that exchange. Basically, I agree with Eagle. Trump will go from shaking someone's hand at an event, to insulting their wife on twitter a few days later from the comfort of the white house--total coward.

I have a feeling the laugh factor will wear off a little bit during these presedential debates, partially cus Trump's mental health isn't exactly improving. So he might slip up and say something that makes no sense (well even more so than before), or fail to pronounce word(s) properly.

I gotta say I get a bit uncomfortable watching the Democratic debates. During the presedential debates, I feel like they should present video, picture, or other types of evidence other than just yapping about how bad Trump is. Why don't you show us the damage that he's done instead of yapping about it. I mean it's not necessary in a Democratic debate, but yeah.

Edited by Talinn

1 hour ago, Talinn said:

I have a feeling the laugh factor will wear off a little bit during these presedential debates, partially cus Trump's mental health isn't exactly improving. So he might slip up and say something that makes no sense (well even more so than before), or fail to pronounce word(s) properly.

I gotta say I get a bit uncomfortable watching the Democratic debates. During the presedential debates, I feel like they should present video, picture, or other types of evidence other than just yapping about how bad Trump is. Why don't you show us the damage that he's done instead of yapping about it. I mean it's not necessary in a Democratic debate, but yeah.

Debates, like much of US politics, aren't about facts or evidence. They're about political games; mudslinging, and crowdpleasing.

• Like 1
  • This 1

Who wants to call Iowa? My boring answer is the 538 prediction: Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg, but maybe the last two about equal. I think now that the primary is finally happening, fans of Sanders/Warren are feeling a need to more strongly commit to one candidate or the other. Biden and Buttgieg by contrast are officially moderates but I think are very different candidates in what they're running on.

Slate also argued that part of the campaigning success so far may be his quietness and general lack of flash - with sleepy Joe being an advantage, not a negative. Basically the gist is that people are so tired of Trump this or that all the time and they desperately want a return to a Presidency where they can just tune out instead of having to worry about senile Twitter ramblings that upset trade or foreign policy. Biden isn't a drama machine and with the glow of Obama, that might just be enough for most people. For contrast some Dems may not like a Sanders presidency because it would then alternatively mean the conservative media crying about Sanders 24/7, Sanders this/that in every topic, helped along by his own more charged rhetoric.

• What? 1

Is this some sort of Joke? A leader as great as Stalin would never allow his leadership to be decided upon by the whims of the simpleton plebs.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:16 PM, EagleMan said:

Who wants to call Iowa? My boring answer is the 538 prediction: Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg, but maybe the last two about equal. I think now that the primary is finally happening, fans of Sanders/Warren are feeling a need to more strongly commit to one candidate or the other. Biden and Buttgieg by contrast are officially moderates but I think are very different candidates in what they're running on.

Slate also argued that part of the campaigning success so far may be his quietness and general lack of flash - with sleepy Joe being an advantage, not a negative. Basically the gist is that people are so tired of Trump this or that all the time and they desperately want a return to a Presidency where they can just tune out instead of having to worry about senile Twitter ramblings that upset trade or foreign policy. Biden isn't a drama machine and with the glow of Obama, that might just be enough for most people. For contrast some Dems may not like a Sanders presidency because it would then alternatively mean the conservative media crying about Sanders 24/7, Sanders this/that in every topic, helped along by his own more charged rhetoric.

I think Bernie is going to win Iowa and New Hampshire. Depending on his momentum, he'll come a close second in South Carolina or, very tiny chance, he'll win outright. 

1 hour ago, Abdel said:

Is this some sort of Joke? A leader as great as Stalin would never allow his leadership to be decided upon by the whims of the simpleton plebs.

This isn't one of Bors' silly monarchies. Good communist citizens have the right, nay the civic duty, to vote for their beloved leader and his mustache.