Abdel

2020 US Presidential Election thread

4 minutes ago, Abdel said:

Slumped in the polls? Make another workout video

I'm pretty sure horny, young trumpers are a demographic of limited strength in a Democratic primary. 

2 hours ago, Abdel said:

They lost Lauren Southern, they need new meat to ogle at.

But isn't she canadian?

She is.

Also let's be real, Trump has a powerful base of supporters across America just due to the massive political divide between the Democrats and Republicans. Truth be told, I think he has a decent shot in re-election unless a charismatic democrat that isn't a establishment candidate is nominated in the primaries.

The acid test will be the presidential debates.

12 minutes ago, nodle said:

She is.

Also let's be real, Trump has a powerful base of supporters across America just due to the massive political divide between the Democrats and Republicans. Truth be told, I think he has a decent shot in re-election unless a charismatic democrat that isn't a establishment candidate is nominated in the primaries.

The acid test will be the presidential debates.

Believe it or not, that goes contrary to the current polling:
image.png
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/upshot/trump-biden-warren-polls.html?searchResultPosition=6

This could obviously change but it appears that Biden is the safest bet in battleground states. Trump is polling poorly nationally but he can win the same way he won in 2016 if he focuses on maintaining his lead in leaning red states and continuing to poll well in battleground states, the ones he pulled from democrats in 2016. 

I'd appreciate if we kept the shitposts to a minimum in this thread. Due to the discord-forum dynamic, most people shitpost on discord but come to the forums for a little bit of a more serious tone. 

I think Trump's moniker of "Sleepy Joe" does cut deep. Biden polls well in the abstract now but simply doesn't seem energetic enough to take on Trump properly in the general election. His campaign seems to barely have a pulse right now and he's mostly coasting on "You liked Obama right?". It's possible this may have been calculated though, since if he's not active, he can't be making gaffes that will sap his support ahead of Iowa, but eventually he does have to wake up.

As much as I like Warren for how much she infuriates Wall Street, she also infuriates Wall Street. Bankers are desperate for any alternative. The social policies of Trump don't really affect them so at the end of the day they'll probably fund Trump a lot.

Buttigieg is interesting for how he's tacked to the center lately, he seems like he's positioning himself to mop up in the event that Biden implodes. If Sanders/Warren are going to split the liberals, Buttgieg is trying to split the moderates now. However he does have absolutely abysmal ratings among black voters which remains one of Biden's key strengths in the race. He is also a very prolific fundraiser, and may set himself up for massive donations from Wall Street if the race eventually dwindles to the point where he becomes seen as more viable with Biden less so.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Abdel said:

I'd appreciate if we kept the shitposts to a minimum in this thread. Due to the discord-forum dynamic, most people shitpost on discord but come to the forums for a little bit of a more serious tone. 

I mean... I was only half-joking. Do you see a candidate you like and trust to break the corrupt cycle of US domestic politics? I don't.

Bernie Sanders. Although any Democratic president will probably ultimately be obstructed by the Senate, no matter how good their intentions.

14 minutes ago, Derdan said:

Bernie Sanders. Although any Democratic president will probably ultimately be obstructed by the Senate, no matter how good their intentions.

I don't think they will let him run though. I think they will keep him around to drum up support during the primaries, and then run some corrupt old bitch instead.

There's answering your previous question though and then whether or not they will win the nomination.

7 minutes ago, EagleMan said:

There's answering your previous question though and then whether or not they will win the nomination.

To answer my previous question; I don't trust Bernie Sanders to break the corrupt system because he's powerless to do so.

He's the kind of person who would do it, but I doubt the DNC will let him get the nomination even if he wins over primary voters. They'd probably rather go with Biden who's the weakest of the top 3 candidates. I have a feeling corporate democrats would rather Trump win than Bernie.

4 hours ago, Derdan said:

He's the kind of person who would do it, but I doubt the DNC will let him get the nomination even if he wins over primary voters.

Wat? What do you mean "let him get the nominations". If he gets enough votes to gain enough pledged delegates then he has won the nomination, done.

16 hours ago, Abdel said:

Believe it or not, that goes contrary to the current polling:

"current polling" - shows one poll by NYT that is in contrary to pretty much all other polls done in recent weeks/months. Also those results flat out don't make sense. Warren is losing Michigan by 6, but is somehow winning Arizona by 2 eventhough those states have around 6 points of PVI difference between them?

3 hours ago, Ordo said:

Wat? What do you mean "let him get the nominations". If he gets enough votes to gain enough pledged delegates then he has won the nomination, done.

That's just it. The pledge delegates form a sort of internal electoral college. Even if the majority of rank and file democrats would prefer Bernie, they can simply not vote for him regardless.

If Bloomberg really joins (he's sort of quasi-in at the moment), he may just hand the election to Trump. Thanks billionaires, you've really been having a positive effect on our political process this past decade.

• Cheers 1