Abdel

Public Square

Not a single candidate has offered a concrete solution on how they will mend the schism.

Not only this but what about a plan for progress?

The diplomunion age is climb day by day; how will you attract new bloods?

How will you fund us DiploGuard's pensions and healthcare?

What actions will you take in foreign relations? 

And candidates... when will you show us your tax returns?

13 hours ago, ChocolaTea said:

Not a single candidate has offered a concrete solution on how they will mend the schism.

Not only this but what about a plan for progress?

The diplomunion age is climb day by day; how will you attract new bloods?

How will you fund us DiploGuard's pensions and healthcare?

What actions will you take in foreign relations? 

And candidates... when will you show us your tax returns?

One answer to all questions; labor camps.

20 hours ago, StormTrooper said:

It's gunna be biggly

It was pretty big alright. BASED STORMY TYRONE COALITION 

It's simple really, by voting for me your voting for reform for the return of Pre-schism Diplo. The relaxed Politics channel will encourage Political Autism to migrate to DM, I will push for a Weeb Channel that will contain the degeneracy instead of it spilling over into the Pub and NOT ONLY THAT, I have information that will lead to Abdel's arrest.

• Like 2
  • DisgustinglyHaram 1
  • Troke 1

7 hours ago, nodle said:

It's simple really, by voting for me your voting for reform for the return of Pre-schism Diplo. The relaxed Politics channel will encourage Political Autism to migrate to DM, I will push for a Weeb Channel that will contain the degeneracy instead of it spilling over into the Pub and NOT ONLY THAT, I have information that will lead to Abdel's arrest.

You know Mossad doesn't arrest people.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:15 PM, Abdel said:

The premise is flawed for many reasons. 

The site and the discord serve two different purposes. The site exists for big picture projects and initiatives, while the discord excels at day to day communication. Discord is infinitely better at establishing relationships with people while forums are better at keeping discussions organized and categorized in a fashion that helps us get work done. There's a reason why the staff here works better as a team on the forum, its because tasks and goals aren't being overridden by new tasks and goals. The discord works well meeting your friends at a Starbucks coffee shop but for more in-depth discussions or meetings, a library or forum discussion is infinitely better than discord. 

In addition, we learned this past year that many members, whether intentionally or unintentionally are distancing themselves from Diplo and creating their own private (or public) discord servers for their own personal use. Not only does this create an existential crisis for Diplo where the community is fragmented, it also poses a problem that any sperg can just secede their fief from Diplo. The site bots offer the opportunity to reach out to those people to establish feeds on their discord servers so while they can continue to exist autonomously, there's still a door open for them to be part of the larger Diplo community. 

And that's the main issue, the convenience of discord makes it so that the community will inevitably be divided no matter what we do. There will always be a minority of people who are unhappy with the policy of the majority and they'll break off to a new discord. The likelihood of this happening if we refocus the community's activity around the site is much lower, because if all the institutional value of Diplo is placed on the site, then it makes it harder for people to break off without dividing themselves from a huge portion of their diplo identity. Its a huge reason why we have older members who continue coming back, and newer members who aren't as attached to Diplo. 

Both Discord and the forums have their benefits and disadvantages. Shrugging either to the side as useless or inferior is not the right approach. 

The premise of your analysis is flawed for many reasons.

I was comparing the forums and the discord, not the overall site and the discord, which I feel is an important distinction. I agree that the site is needed as a home base--both as a collection of member's contact info and a place that will always be able to be returned to. I also agree with the use of things like the calendar. I don't know how things like the leadership is run on here, though I can imagine things like to-do lists and such would be much easier to track. I even find it's the better medium of communication for things like the election. Personally, I think some of the election threads should be continually scrubbed of spam. There are certain members who like to add posts with 0 relevance, which is annoying. I don't know if there are any rules against that, but there should be.

When you say something like "if we refocus the community's activity around the site" it makes you sound like you think you can strong arm people into using the forums the same way they use discord, which will never be the case again. You can't fight that there's overlap in purpose between the forums and discord now, and as more activity is on discord, for day to day communication, there will inevitably be  less activity on the forums. This is activity the forums will never fully regain. Your no discord November is a testament to this. This is my main point. Feanor seemed to be arguing, in my perspective, for a return of when the forums performed the functions which overlap with discord. You, abdel, are arguing for emphasizing the ways the forums are different than the discord and leveraging those strengths to use the forums pretty much only for those things, which I agree with. I never meant to say get rid of the forums and the website completely, just that it's a fantasy that you can force a new golden age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IamtheWalrus. said:

I don't know if there are any rules against that, but there should be.

This is what people should focus on, the walruses want to enslave the free peoples of Diplo to rules!!

How could anyone with a soul vote for such a monster.

• This 1

With Abdel's blessing, I will scrub this chat free from anyone not currently running for office and continue to do so. I believe this should be a forum for the candidates to address one another without distraction 

On 11/3/2019 at 11:16 AM, Spankfurt said:

With Abdel's blessing, I will scrub this chat free from anyone not currently running for office and continue to do so. I believe this should be a forum for the candidates to address one another without distraction 

It's not a public square if it's being scrubbed. If you want a candidates only discussion thread, you should make one, and tag all the candidates in the starting posts, sticky it, and let it be for a formal debate. This is for the general diplo public.

9 minutes ago, Feanor said:

It's not a public square if it's being scrubbed. If you want a candidates only discussion thread, you should make one, and tag all the candidates in the starting posts, sticky it, and let it be for a formal debate. This is for the general diplo public.

Are you sure about that? If theres a candidates only thread you wouldn't find a way to stick your shitpost dick into it? 😄

• Funny 1

12 minutes ago, Abdel said:

Are you sure about that? If theres a candidates only thread you wouldn't find a way to stick your shitpost dick into it? 😄

But on a serious note, I think it's a good idea to have a candidates only thread, as well as a thread for the general public. Maybe we should come up with some guidelines for the candidates public discussion, and leave this thread as is?

I'm interested how the candidates will approach leadership in a way that focuses less on internal politics and more on how by numbers, interactions, and relationships formed a community is stronger together than apart - even though certain people inside it will never like each other, and others will be at odds with certain members of leadership. 

How you will balance multiple projects for example, a project from a member of the administration vs one from the member-base? And how will you encourage projects can be delivered from an admin-down, but also a member-up approach?

3 hours ago, CNiper said:

How you will balance multiple projects for example, a project from a member of the administration vs one from the member-base? And how will you encourage projects can be delivered from an admin-down, but also a member-up approach?

It's a very vague question. What exactly do you want to know? Which projects will get their own subforum? I imagine we can simply develop a set of guidelines, and apply it indiscriminately, thus avoiding favoritism. Which project a given person spends more time on? Wouldn't that fall under personal preference?

• Unimpressed 1

I will also do my best to give Bane, aka cancer-boi, valued member.

I would also like to mention that I am very much sale, and I am very cheap.

1 hour ago, Abdel said:

yes, here: 

I'd like to see the candidates answer the diplo question shown above; "Why is Feanor a mod?".

• Cease and Desist 1

2 hours ago, Abdel said:

Dont @Feanor me bro

I'm so confused.

EDIT: Oh you meant for me to click on the link... nevermind, I see it now. Though I'm not convinced @Burden meant to ask why Feanor is a mod. Afterall he just posted a picture of the cup. Maybe he wanted the candidates to answer whether they would like some coffee.

1 hour ago, Feanor said:

I'm so confused.

EDIT: Oh you meant for me to click on the link... nevermind, I see it now. Though I'm not convinced @Burden meant to ask why Feanor is a mod. Afterall he just posted a picture of the cup. Maybe he wanted the candidates to answer whether they would like some coffee.

I don't share coffee.