tagloro

Mental Health talk

So as a lot of the categories are uninhabited I will put this here.

I'm interested in discussion on REAL TALK mental health, especially with all this healing circle talk going on. It's a large part of my life. How does it impact you? What do you do about it? What can you use help with?

I have Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-Polar type. (for a quick overview https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoaffective_disorder )

As such I have a whole litany symptoms. Including psychosis, hallucinations, delusions etc. as well as mood issues like mania, anxiety and depression. It's been a long journey with multiple hospitalizations, innumerable meds and a lot of help from those around me, particularly online.

For me it's been a long grind upwards. Mindfulness, CBT therapy and extensive introspection have been the most helpful. Learning to recognize the signs of something being unreal and grounding myself in reality. Meds have helped too but I think of them as only 30% of the process. They were there to enable me to learn, make lifestyle changes and experiment to find what works best. Now they are a safety net for when I need them most.

If you have any questions about my experiences I'm always happy to share. If you want to talk about your own struggles I want to listen. If you want to lurk I hope you read something helpful to you.

Edited by tagloro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Tag something that really resonated with me was the article that your sister wrote on Medium. Not only did it get me reading more, but she did a good job explaining how a support network might work in another situation. 

8 hours ago, tagloro said:

So as a lot of the categories are uninhabited I will put this here.

I'm interested in discussion on REAL TALK mental health, especially with all this healing circle talk going on. It's a large part of my life. How does it impact you? What do you do about it? What can you use help with?

I have Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-Polar type. (for a quick overview https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoaffective_disorder)

As such I have a whole litany symptoms. Including psychosis, hallucinations, delusions etc. as well as mood issues like mania, anxiety and depression. It's been a long journey with multiple hospitalizations, innumerable meds and a lot of help from those around me, particularly online.

For me it's been a long grind upwards. Mindfulness, CBT therapy and extensive introspection have been the most helpful. Learning to recognize the signs of something being unreal and grounding myself in reality. Meds have helped too but I think of them as only 30% of the process. They were there to enable me to learn, make lifestyle changes and experiment to find what works best. Now they are a safety net for when I need them most.

If you have any questions about my experiences I'm always happy to share. If you want to talk about your own struggles I want to listen. If you want to lurk I hope you read something helpful to you.

I love how open you are about mental health Tag. What do you like most about CBT therapy? I don't think I'm the most mentally unhealthy person in the world, but as I understand it CBT can be good for anyone. I've considered trying it to help teach myself to deal with issues that provoke my anxiety and to help avoid negative thoughts. I've always heard with enough time and effort in CBT you can almost will yourself into being a "happy go lucky" person. Do you think that's true? 

• Like 1

Cniper- I'm really glad it was thought provoking! I will make sure to pass that on to her

Burden -  I have had good success with CBT therapy. It is definitely something I would consider helpful to most to at least some degree. It has helped me the most with anxiety and depression. One of the skills I practice is eliminating negative thoughts before they can affect my mood and behavior. Keep in mind it is a process and requires both practice and a genuine effort. Often the first lessons in CBT therapy are about effective goal setting and I can't emphasize it's importance enough. They use an acronym S.M.A.R.T (Specific, Measurable, attainable, Realistic, Timely) In my case I started with a goal of taking my meds at the same time everyday.

Now as for what I like most, that would be the how useful it is every day. CBT emphasizes "in the moment" as opposed to talk therapy (wherein one talks about past events to contextualize current issues and work towards a solution) for example. Thus CBT ends up being useful everyday. 

I wouldn't say it's something that will teach you to will yourself happy go lucky. It can't change someone altogether, rather it enabled me to integrate myself, kinda like lifting the fog of war so I can create a better strategy with that new information.

I would recommend giving it a shot, particularly if anxiety is bothering you. As long as you are willing to put in practice and truly want to, you will likely find some things that are useful to you.

I'm on my phone in bed, otherwise I'd link some resources. If you'd like some let me know.

I'm unironically too high functioning to be able to get diagnosed with autism which is a strange situation despite me hitting a litany of symptoms that I've mostly overcome. E.g. I could barely talk until I was 5 years old and I just power through the gag reflex and nausea so I'm not ordering chicken tenders or plain food when out socializing. I know self-diagnosis isn't valid but they didn't want me in unless I was reporting an issue like depression, anxiety, lack of self-sufficiency etc. that is resultant from being unable to cope properly with autism.

Do you guys actually think you can have a conversation about mental health without signaling about it on social media for likes and affirmation ?

• DisgustinglyHaram 2
  • TRIGGERED 1

11 minutes ago, Spankfurt said:

Do you guys actually think you can have a conversation about mental health without signaling about it on social media for likes and affirmation ?

I'm proud of you for talking to us about your mental health issues Spink 

@ EagleMan So are you saying that you have developed effective coping mechanisms such that there is a negligible impact on your day to day life? Or do you still feel there is a negative impact that you are used to working around? Or more that you have gone to seek some type of treatment and were turned away due to a perceived lack of "seriousness" of issues?

@ Spank I  get a bit fed up with lip service for sure. Sure awareness of anxiety and depression has gone up, but good luck trying to talk about anything further from the norm. Particularly any type of psychosis is still social poison to bring up. But the virtue signalling hasn't made anything worse than before either. It's just annoying like all the other woke things so I don't worry about it.

1 hour ago, tagloro said:

@ EagleMan So are you saying that you have developed effective coping mechanisms such that there is a negligible impact on your day to day life? Or do you still feel there is a negative impact that you are used to working around? Or more that you have gone to seek some type of treatment and were turned away due to a perceived lack of "seriousness" of issues?

@ Spank I  get a bit fed up with lip service for sure. Sure awareness of anxiety and depression has gone up, but good luck trying to talk about anything further from the norm. Particularly any type of psychosis is still social poison to bring up. But the virtue signalling hasn't made anything worse than before either. It's just annoying like all the other woke things so I don't worry about it.

I get a little triggered by it because it's something with good intentions being co-opted by predominantly high strung or neurotic young people looking for attention and turning it into another way to make something about themselves. They may have issues but in most cases I see on my Facebook or whatever it's people with mild anxiety or a girl who is on antidepressants rather than addressing the core issues of disatisfaction in their life 

To me it's like a worse version of changing your profile picture to signal solidarity with some terrorist event . It makes it more about yourself than people not being able to get by and having their life taken from them by it

The people most vulnerable to mental illness usually end up living in extreme poverty or on the street because of it. It's the people that don't have a support network and are handicapped by the illness to the point where they're unable to secure any of the aid possible to help them cope with it. There is an astounding number of people who had perfectly fine lives now living in horrible situations and are not even in proper control of their own mental faculties. I don't get triggered by much but my family has a history of some pretty nasty mental illness and when someone excuses their poor/selfish decisions and disregard for consequences by saying "oh lol I'm just crazy" I get a little frustrated 

6 hours ago, tagloro said:

It's negligible now but was more negative back in the day. I mostly work around it but shaking the flat affect is difficult and I still come off as living in my own world.

6 hours ago, Spankfurt said:

It depends on what you mean by conversation. I don't think people do it for likes and affirmation, perhaps as coping for their own inability to reach out to someone or work on the underlying issues. It's the exact sort of conversation that has to happen privately though, on a person-to-person basis. No one's going to publicly say "I think we should cut funding for mental health", so platitudes tend to be shared saying "We should fund it more, there's no shame in admitting it, getting help, etc." If you actually want to help it's something you have to take the initiative on, like pairing your public post with private messages to people asking if they'd like to meet up and talk or just simply hang out, instead of putting the onus on them to open up to you first. That can obviously then be a lot of work if multiple people respond, let alone people you don't actually want to be social with, so it does all easily become slacktivism even when I think most mean well initially, they just don't think it through. But basically my answer is no if you're talking about the social media you share with friends and family, unless you're living the life of one of those people who have full on embraced being open about their mental processes, therapy, etc. like Damon Lindelof or Howard Stern. You can't just say you have depression without elaborating, because that "vaguebooking" will frustrate a lot of people, even if you're only comfortable sharing that you are depressed but not publicly delving into why (or privately with someone you haven't established trust with).

• This 1

5 minutes ago, EagleMan said:

It's negligible now but was more negative back in the day. I mostly work around it but shaking the flat affect is difficult and I still come off as living in my own world.

It depends on what you mean by conversation. I don't think people do it for likes and affirmation, perhaps as coping for their own inability to reach out to someone or work on the underlying issues. It's the exact sort of conversation that has to happen privately though, on a person-to-person basis. No one's going to publicly say "I think we should cut funding for mental health", so platitudes tend to be shared saying "We should fund it more, there's no shame in admitting it, getting help, etc." If you actually want to help it's something you have to take the initiative on, like pairing your public post with private messages to people asking if they'd like to meet up and talk or just simply hang out, instead of putting the onus on them to open up to you first. That can obviously then be a lot of work if multiple people respond, let alone people you don't actually want to be social with, so it does all easily become slacktivism even when I think most mean well initially, they just don't think it through. But basically my answer is no if you're talking about the social media you share with friends and family, unless you're living the life of one of those people who have full on embraced being open about their mental processes, therapy, etc. like Damon Lindelof or Howard Stern. You can't just say you have depression without elaborating, because that "vaguebooking" will frustrate a lot of people, even if you're only comfortable sharing that you are depressed but not publicly delving into why (or privately with someone you haven't established trust with).

You are absolutely right that the best conversations for helping people happen on a person-to-person basis