Sign in to follow this  
Evad_Flor

Azeroth Wars Upgrade Ideas

I believe that there should be a standardized framework where differences are built within. It provides that consistency that makes it comfortable for players to switch factions and for beginners learning the game. I made a similar thread before just to get some discussion on this and provoke thought. Now I've given it some more thought and I'd like to summarize the suggestions.

Symmetric Ideas

1. Move ships & armor upgrades to the Blacksmith/War Mill/Hunter's Hall/Graveyard.

2. Move 'Power Infusion' upgrades to Blacksmith/War Mill/Hunter's Hall/Graveyard.

3. Add a 4th Power Infusion upgrade.

4. All apprentice & master upgrades gives spellcasters grant 5 damage, 100 mana and increased mana regen. Health bonus removed.

5. All towers affected by damage upgrades. Towers unaffected by damage upgrades are currently Arcane Towers, Cannon Towers and Boulder Towers. You can also include Halls of the Dead, Black Citadel and all Ahn'Qiraj buildings here as they're technically towers as well.

Assymmetric Ideas

Scourge

- Death Infusion now grants 2 armor. Scourge doesn't have Power Infusion for their Necromancers & Banshees.

- Gets a new upgrade "Blighted Ground" at the Black Citadel. Affects the Halls of the Dead and Black Citadel. Grants a large 1300 AoE regeneration aura to all friendly units. Can be upgraded 3 times. Stacks with Unholy aura.

Halls of the Dead gives 4/6/8 hp per second

Black Citadel gives 6/8/10 hp per second

- Rework Black Citadel 'Raise Dead'. Its currently broken, summoned units instantly dies from the spell. New 'Raise Dead' creates 2 Skeleton Warrior and 2 Skeletal Mage from 1 corpse. 1000 range, 75 manacost.

- Halls of the Dead & Black Citadel attacks gets improved by damage upgrades.

Legion

- Gets a new upgrade "Demonic Construction" at the building 'Legions Armory'. Grants 2.5hp per second, 1 armor and an 800 range enemy negative armor aura by -3 to all Legion buildings. Can be upgraded 3 times giving eventually 7.5 hp per second, 3 armor and -9 armor to all nearby enemy units. Name of aura is "Cursed Ground".

- Burning Citadel armor increased from 0 to 5.

Dalaran

- Arcanist, Pyromancer, Geomancer and Hydromancer gets 2 damage per attack upgrade from the Blacksmith.

Dwarves

- Tinkers reduced health from 750 to 650, armor from 6 to 2. Is now affected by damage & armor upgrades.

Frostwolf, Warsong, True Horde, New Horde

- Can now build Boulder Towers.

Sentinels

- Now have Improved Masonry upgrades (just like humans do). Affects all buildings except Ancient of War.

Druids

- Nature's Blessing now affects Hunter's Hall, Moonwells, Shipyards and all Night Elf Houses.

C'thun

- The ability all buildings have that let's them attack now gets improved by damage upgrades.

Illidari

- Improved Masonry upgrades no also affects all Naga and Draenei buildings as well.

Edited by Evad_Flor

Il just adress the symmetric ideas:

You are basically asking to move all upgrades to the same buildings. If we do that, then that means eventually those building will be meta-buildings/ui. Is that what we want for azeroth wars? 

To have a tech center with all your faction upgrades and accessible outside the map? Because those changes would be a massive step in that direction. Il be honest I've considered that option many times and I decide against it. This is warcraft 3 we are talking about, unit producing buildings have upgrades in them, and just for the charm of it, I prefer it stays that way.

It was explained many times, to you, that aoe towers don't gain damage from upgrade as they would scale too much and make camping too strong.

Giving Dalaran casters attack upgrade is an awful idea and I had my taste of that when I gave Trappers upgrades, a mistake I'm not repeating.

Can give Sentinels masonry.

Illidari don't have naga and draenei buildings anymore. Just illidari buildings. 

In general, the 2 evil ideas are just too much work for what they are worth.  3 upgrade each is just more than I'm willing to put for some auras on buildings.

Edited by Lordsebas

12 minutes ago, Lordsebas said:

Il just adress the symmetric ideas:

You are basically asking to move all upgrades to the same buildings. If we do that, then that means eventually those building will be meta-buildings/ui. Is that what we want for azeroth wars? 

To have a tech center with all your faction upgrades and accessible outside the map? Because those changes would be a massive step in that direction. Il be honest I've considered that option many times and I decide against it. This is warcraft 3 we are talking about, unit producing buildings have upgrades in them, and just for the charm of it, I prefer it stays that way.

I'm not basically saying move all upgrades to the same building. 

Power Infusion, damage upgrades, armor upgrades, ships upgrades are all closely related. They're in the same category of upgrades. They're improving the gear and weapons your units have. Power infusion is basically spellcasters getting better armor. I don't ever suggest to move all upgrades to the Blacksmith nor have I thought about moving more upgrades to the corner of the map. I believe upgrades that's about giving units new abilities should stay on the relevant building and not at the blacksmith.

Edited by Evad_Flor

But those, the unit upgrades, are already disappearing, or rare. Again, that would eventually mean making your blacksmith a meta building with all your general upgrades. This is a direction I don't want to take. 

From a pure gameplay perspective, that means slowing down which upgrade you are getting or having to add a whole bunch upgrade buildings like forge that will get unused: at the start of the game I might want to upgrade ships speed, caster health, attack and defense upgrades, but I wouldn't have enough forges. Then once I'm done with casters, now my forges are all obsolete but 2. 

On the flipside, you always have unused harbours or caster building. Ones that are far away from your fight, and you can use those to research those upgrades perfectly fine. So all in all, a change I'm not going to do unless I decide to completly moved every racial upgrade to 1 building,  which I tested with Legion somewhat.

Edited by Lordsebas

You could add new race. (not as a second chance race) 

Trolls for example (the player would choise where start in quel or lordaeron or arathor (south) or i northernd (ice trolls) or on islands (zandalar) or in kali )

and every starting position will get unique for it units and heroes it will give u 6 small races 🙂

6 hours ago, Loki311 (Loki311) said:

You could add new race. (not as a second chance race) 

Trolls for example (the player would choise where start in quel or lordaeron or arathor (south) or i northernd (ice trolls) or on islands (zandalar) or in kali )

and every starting position will get unique for it units and heroes it will give u 6 small races 🙂

This is something that's been discussed a few times in  the past, it's something I'm interested in seeing. Right now there's a small playerbase which makes custom maps that requires very many players difficult to fill up in reasonable time. So increasing the number of players required to play any higher then 12 isn't considered. If Warcraft Reforged have stability + large playerbase, then adding another starting faction would be considered.

I am personally interested in seeing Troll empire, Fel Horde split up into 2 and tiny starting factions added but I understand stability and keeping it at 12 player is important.

• This 1

When the playerbase expands again with Reforged, all kinds of new directions may be possible, but the size and scope and absolute girth of AWLR means that adding something huge like a new race will have massive consequences and potentially break the game balance-wise. Also, as Flor pointed out, the game requires 12 players who all moderately know what they're doing to some extent and can be a challenge to fill at some times 

There are , however, a huge amount of maps within wc3's history which have depicted and been set in every kind of scenario and setting imaginable within the Warcraft universe and timeline. I'm sure if you'd like something more troll focused, it's out there (though not as good and in-depth as LR 😉 )

• Informative 1