Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Is Tulsi Gabbard going on active service going to hurt her chances?

I reckon you guys need a lil Polynesian influence in your executive anyway...you ought to vote for her. Plus she's a surfer, surfers a chill, there's a reason people go surfing. 

I'm a huge fan of how calm, collected and calculated she is. During the debates she stayed on message and didn't get side tracked vs Kamala Harris. Essentially stabbed and twisted. She is single-handedly the reason why Harris is doing so poorly. 

I look forward to having a president like her who can communicate and speak with so much confidence and persuasion while also someone who could probably cross the left/right wing divide. 

Yes but do you think her taking two weeks off for service will hurt her on the campaign trail?

Not at all. It shows she's committed to the job she has which means she'll also be committed to the job she wants. 

She's more of a general election candidate than one able to survive a primary dominated by progressives. So I don't think it will hurt her chances because they are already pretty low. She needs three more qualifying polls to make the mext debate. Some candidates will probably drop out once they can't make it in, but the primary will go on for a very long while yet so it won't be a death blow. Once all the moderates who aren't Biden drop out she could suck up some of that support. On another note it's a shame that Tom Steyer (billionaire) will be qualifying so easily. At least Yang is in but Tulsi should be as well since she's a fairly distinctive candidate that also seems to have some crossover appeal with conservatives, but that quality doesn't yet matter so early on.

Isnt Tulsi pretty progressive on the economy? I mean she was one of the first politicians to endorse Bernie last election cycle. 

Yes but she otherwise has more measured views on things like gun control and immigration, and her anti-war stance has been spun as dictatorial support (specifically with Syria, you can look that up to make your own opinion). So for the progressive base, with 2/3 of those issues currently on prominent display, she's not pleasing to them compared to the alternatives. Russian internet efforts have also mildly suppported Tulsi thus far so some progressives basically view her now as the Russian Dem candidate like Trump was for Republicans.

Posted (edited)

I like Tulsi, don't get a partisan vibe from her the way I do a lot of the other candidates. Strikes me as silly that being against going to war in Syria makes her an "Assad Cheerleader" according to the likes of Kamala.  By that same logic Bernie would've been a cheerleader for Saddam Hussein since he as against the war in Iraq. 

My main gripe with Tulsi is she hasn't come out in support of Nuclear Energy afaik.  Anyone who purports to be going green, but doesn't include nuclear power, I have trouble taking seriously. 

Still, I like Tulsi, she's my front runner. 

Kinda like Yang too.  Feel there was a real missed opportunity not taking the moniker of 'The Wu-Yang Clan.' 

Edited by Belisarius