Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Blade to become Muslim drama

Personal Comment:

I don't think this will happen...Just because as he says, the actor is Muslim, yeah nah, I would be very surprised to see this. 

Title is misleading since it's just typical YouTube speculation. I do think a prominent Muslim "superhero" in a Marvel movie (with the actor also a Muslim) would actually be a brave step forward for diversity instead of the usual rote Hollywood diversity. The Ms. Marvel movie would do that as well but we'll see if that project happens and who they cast.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, EagleMan said:

Title is misleading since it's just typical YouTube speculation. I do think a prominent Muslim "superhero" in a Marvel movie (with the actor also a Muslim) would actually be a brave step forward for diversity instead of the usual rote Hollywood diversity. The Ms. Marvel movie would do that as well but we'll see if that project happens and who they cast.

The only bravery there would be if they cast a shit actor, which Mahershala Ali is not. And since you have a boner for diversity, the original Blade, apart from being an actual good film for it's genre, was one of the most diverse ones in terms of collecting ethnicities. It had a female asian vampire double-welding crowbars swinging at Wesley Snipes in a rave party filled with hispanic, white and black vampires. The success of the film will solely depend on what direction it's taken, but the original one remains one of the most comfy Wesley Snipes kinos.

image.png.5358f08de8ccb61e36cce9e80246d530.png

Edited by cell_destroyer

I don't like it when diversity is promoted as a value in and of itself.

Cell I posted it in the context of diversity speculation being stated as fact. We'll see Captain Chile on screen soon enough.

I find Buddhism more interesting for a vampire because of the more spiritual meaning behind the religion but both Catholicism (Like in Hellsing) and Islam can work as well, Islam is a more interesting tone to see how can a vampire who needs to consume blood for a living live when his faith forbids him to do it, they need to do it right though.

Actually now that you say that, makes me kinda want to see how that would go down. 

Though the pessimist in me has no faith that Hollywood wouldn't McFuck that concept badly without trying.

On 8/1/2019 at 2:02 PM, cell_destroyer said:

The only bravery there would be if they cast a shit actor, which Mahershala Ali is not. And since you have a boner for diversity, the original Blade, apart from being an actual good film for it's genre, was one of the most diverse ones in terms of collecting ethnicities. It had a female asian vampire double-welding crowbars swinging at Wesley Snipes in a rave party filled with hispanic, white and black vampires. The success of the film will solely depend on what direction it's taken, but the original one remains one of the most comfy Wesley Snipes kinos.

image.png.5358f08de8ccb61e36cce9e80246d530.png

This post reeks of /tv/ copypasta

On 8/2/2019 at 9:58 PM, Baledwyr said:

Actually now that you say that, makes me kinda want to see how that would go down. 

Though the pessimist in me has no faith that Hollywood wouldn't McFuck that concept badly without trying. 

Probably, I agree on that, but solely making him muslim isn't that bad, it could end up being (with a good director) an amazing and philosophical concept for a movie, I'm somewhat pessimistic about it though, most hollywood directors are hacks.

Posted (edited)

If this is real then this change seems steeped in an especially-American anachronism about African identity.  Black Americans make up less than a fifth of American Muslims, and most of them are converts.  Among all Muslims, only 13% are sub-Saharan African in heritage.  Among all Sub-Saharan Africans Muslims constitute a quarter of the population.

So, really, this comes off more like another Hollywood opportunity to feed into the very small and insignificant, but culturally visible, sect of African American identitarians who rejected Christianity, English names, and Euro-centric institutions, and who created a parody of the black American identity in the 1970's which still, today, feeds into stereotypes and discrimination in the United States.

I'd be fine if he were Muslim and an African, rather than the mythical American idea of a Muslim African-American that they're going to make.

Edited by Frum

He'll be a mix of Malcom X, Elijah Mohummed and Kareem Said from OZ.