Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Spankfurt said:

First non-editor forum post for AWLR and hopefully the first of many more 

I'm reporting you to the admins for spamming my thread with irrelevant posts. Ree

---------------------

The logic applied in my suggestion can also be applied to the spellcasters. There's a lot of things that can be improved there.

Here's what I'm suggesting with spellcasters

1. Remove health upgrade all spellcasters get from apprentice and master upgrades (usually 40hp + 40hp).

2. Give all apprentice and master upgrades 5 damage to the spellcaster (5 + 5 = 10 dmg).

3. Move Power Infusion/ Spiritual Infusion upgrades to the Blacksmith/ War Mill/ Graveyard/ Hunter's Hall
4. Increase the number of times you can research Power Infusion from 3 to 4.
5. Remove the health upgrade that Scourge Nercomancer and Banshee units get.

6. Add Power Infusion upgrades to the Scourge Graveyard (the version Legion techs).

7. Edit the upgrade description to include the info (100mana, 0.33 regen, 5 damage).

Consistent techtree for all factions. Scourge spellcasters doesn't get any armor and thus have 0 the entire game. Some spellcasters get damage from apprentice & master upgrades while other's don't. Increased tankiness for spellcasters now only comes from Power Infusion (no hp from apprentice & masters). Overall, a general buff to spellcasters max potential done so in a fair fashion. The total armor spellcasters can get increases from 6 to 8 and 20 more health.

Edited by Evad_Flor

Posted (edited)

The tower part im still pondering, but the moving the research to research buildings is an interesting idea.

What would that do for ships though, i dont know if buffing towers even more is a good idea.

Basically i dont to encourage camping and static gameplay. It would be a buff to ship upgrades though

Edited by Lordsebas

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Lordsebas said:

The tower part im still pondering, but the moving the research to research buildings is an interesting idea.

What would that do for ships though, i dont know if buffing towers even more is a good idea.

It's always good to standardise and make the game consistent. I don't think it's good to let techtree inconsistencies be a part of the balance. If something gets too strong as a result of changes I suggested then tweak the numbers afterwards.

Besides, we already have Improved Treant Protector on Druids, those towers are as strong as you can possibly get. The only one that I've seen massing those towers is myself.

Edited by Evad_Flor

Just now, Lordsebas said:

Yes and no,

a big part of awlr is the assymetric design of factions. what are the other tech tree inconsistencies you speak of?

Some towers get damage upgrades and some don't. Cannon Towers, Boulder Towers and Arcane Towers don't get damage from research.

Then some also get heavy amount of armor and hp upgrades like Druids and Dwarves while Legion got useless towers that can't take any damage.

Some spellcasters get a lot of damage from apprentice and master ugprades while other's don't get any. 

By making it consistent such as all apprentice & master upgrade always give 5 damage then people can more easily remember it and play with it. Making all towers be affected by some sort of damage upgrade and hp+armor upgrade then all factions have some ability to build useful towers.

i didnt know caster had different bonus frmo apprentice and master, are you sure thats current? 

As for towers, i just think thats part of whats make some factions unique. Dwarves have better architecture. 

Also, canon towers with damage upgrade sound way too strong.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Lordsebas said:

i didnt know caster had different bonus frmo apprentice and master, are you sure thats current? 

As for towers, i just think thats part of whats make some factions unique. Dwarves have better architecture. 

Also, canon towers with damage upgrade sound way too strong.

I believe there should be a standardized framework with variety within it. All factions have the exact same shipyard, that's not a part of assymetric design. Neither is the armor & damage upgrades, masteries and more.

You can reduce the amount of damage cannon towers make in exchange for having upgrades. Remove like 32 damage from them and then add 8 damage upgrades.

Druid of the Growth gets 9 damage from apprentice and master, eventually giving them 41 magic damage.

Druid of the talon gets 7 damage from apprentice and master, eventually giving them 39 magic damage.

I checked that in 2.10d version. There might be more such examples but I don't want to spend the time finding them all.

Edited by Evad_Flor

For technical context that you may already know: damage upgrades in Warcraft 3 increase Damage Number of Dice, not Damage Base. As a result the actual damage increase is dependent on the individual unit's Damage Number of Sides. This inconsistency is good; high damage units should benefit more from upgrades than low damage units. 

I do agree that all towers should benefit from a research if any do. 

• Informative 1

Im fairly certain all towers use attack upgrades for all factions.

As for armor, its only the factions that have the fortify defense or masonry upgrade that can upgrade their towers.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lordsebas said:

Im fairly certain all towers use attack upgrades for all factions.

As for armor, its only the factions that have the fortify defense or masonry upgrade that can upgrade their towers.

Cannon Towers and Boulder towers don't get any. I checked it today. I'm fairly sure Arcane Towers don't get attack upgrades as well.

In melee warcraft, all 4 races have their own ways of defending their base but in Awlr you don't have that same kind of balance. 

I suggest that some sort of masonry upgrade should exist for Sentinels since they don't have any EHP buffing upgrades for their buildings. I also suggest some sort of upgrade for Legion and Scourge buildings. You cannot create blight in Awlr which gives Undead their defending advantage while Human factions still got the masonry upgrades. It's only fair.

Edited by Evad_Flor