Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Sushi Hamburger...Hamburger Sushi

This is either the very best of things or the very worst. 

Related image

Related image

Image result for hamburger sushi

Image result for hamburger sushi

Yeah, I don't get it. It's not like rice is the reason you eat sushi, and there's so much of it in these...

It's like Sushi Pizza. It's an excuse for Chinese slumlords to sell a ball of deep fried rice with a piece of frozen fish ontop with mayonnaise for $15

I managed the front of house for a Sushi restaurant for a while. The industry is such a great con. Large white women still think they're eating healthy when they get their fill of rice soaked in vinegar/sugar, mayo with sriracha and sugar, and deep fried tempura batter surrounding a sliver of salmon and fake crab meat

• Funny 2
  • You need communism 1

2 hours ago, Spankfurt said:

It's like Sushi Pizza. It's an excuse for Chinese slumlords to sell a ball of deep fried rice with a piece of frozen fish ontop with mayonnaise for $15

I managed the front of house for a Sushi restaurant for a while. The industry is such a great con. Large white women still think they're eating healthy when they get their fill of rice soaked in vinegar/sugar, mayo with sriracha and sugar, and deep fried tempura batter surrounding a sliver of salmon and fake crab meat

I eat sushi because I like the taste, not because it's healthy.

@Spankfurt theres a sushi place near my house that does rolls for $4 to $6 and higher end for $10. The rolls aren't always the best sushimanship bc they're assembly lining the fuck out of their production to keep costs low but I regularly get 7 or 8 rolls for around $35 to $40. Salmon, shrimp and tuna are plentifully cheap in my area so those are the best rolls to buy. 

Yeah we had some pretty good stuff for cheap as well, but no one just goes for regular salmon or tuna Maki anymore. Most people want it with tempura batter and spicy sauce

I love Sashimi but most places it's too expensive to fill your belly with it. A nice 3 slices is usually close to $10

I eat sushi for fun so I can puke it up and laugh and entertain myself and others. If I'm eating Asian food to actually eat it I'll just go for Korean barbecue. On a tangential topic someone also took out a nearby sushi place with arson, no clue why. So I suppose my vote is that it's the very worst but I'd still try a bite knowing I will hate everything about it.

The "sushi" burgers have existed for a while, the first I heard of them was years back, from a local Mos Burger restaurant. They're pretty good and tend to go better with some of the more asian-centered meat flavours like the ginger-pork and and of the teriyaki; in general, a "sushi" burger is more an alternate way to present sushi, in a more traditional meal (with chips) and they normally come hot, which sushi does not (traditionally).

I'm not a huge fan of sashimi (the raw fish sushi), but there's plenty of fusion-style sushi places around where I live- my favourite to date is a Korean-Japanese fusion place that does aburi-styled sushi which is normally presented nigiri (a narrow bed of rice with the meat/vegetables on top, and a small band of seaweed to attach them). Specifically, they also do a wagyu aburi, which means they place fantastic quality raw beef on top of the bed with some asian BBQ sauce, sear it with a hand torch and you get it slightly raw but thin and hot enough to have eradicated any potential health concerns. It's absolutely delicious, but a departure from traditional japanese cuisine. Also, aburi cheese and chicken is mouth wateringly good.

Also Eagle, good taste. Korean BBQ is pretty great, and I've learnt that I have access to good sauces at my local asian grocers to make bulgogi and galbi at home, which I put shabu-shabu style meat (thinly sliced to the point of being shaved, normally ribeye steak) in the sauce to marinade for a little bit, and then throw it on the barbie. Comes out delicious and cooks in almost no time at all thanks to the thinness of the meat, and I serve it quite simply with rice and sliced cabbage on the side, with yuzu dressing available for the cabbage, a roasted sesame seed mill and japanese mayo condiments.

I could probably serve the entire dish as a "burger" with a rice bun, but I feel like having the parts separate let the cabbage be cold, crisp and sharp with the yuzu lends a better overall flavour balance with the rich BBQ meat than putting them all in the same place.

I'll take some piccies next time I get sushi, and when I do korean BBQ at home again.

There's a sushi chain over here that's become almost like a sushi Maccas of sorts called "St Pierres Sushi of Japan"...it's not bad...main haunts are students and white collars.

I mostly avoid asian food. Sushi is pretty much the one exception to that. I don't like teriyaki, and the one time I went to a Korean barbecue place they served me a symbolic-sized portion of meat, and a bunch of weird side dishes, none of which I wanted to eat.

6 hours ago, Feanor said:

I mostly avoid asian food. Sushi is pretty much the one exception to that. I don't like teriyaki, and the one time I went to a Korean barbecue place they served me a symbolic-sized portion of meat, and a bunch of weird side dishes, none of which I wanted to eat.

Yeah the side dishes are definitely specific more to Korean tastes, and though the meat can be delicious with the stuff they give you it gets expensive quick for any meaningful portions. To date though, I haven't really found bulgogi as good as I can make at home- and they don't seem to provide those sauces at Korean BBQ places which I find weird. Not the biggest fan of teriyaki either, I aim more for katsu's flavourings when I go for Japanese.

I'm a whore for Asian cuisine , but after working with Chinese for a few years I got a taste for the more authentic dishes . Braised red pork belly - or "Hong Shao rou fan" is one of my favorite meals if you can get a real one

Pho places and ramen places are becoming like the new sushi spots around here. They're in fashion in the foodie community and popping up like crazy, half of them will shut down within 3 years

10 hours ago, Feanor said:

Might depend on the KBBQ you go to since a lot of Asian places care much less for American standards of service, but you have to ask for the meat and then keep asking. Anyways the more I eat Asian food the more I... never learn to like it much, which is unfortunate because my life has only become increasingly Asian over time.

1 minute ago, EagleMan said:

Might depend on the KBBQ you go to since a lot of Asian places care much less for American standards of service, but you have to ask for the meat and then keep asking. Anyways the more I eat Asian food the more I... never learn to like it much, which is unfortunate because my life has only become increasingly Asian over time.

Honestly I wasn't enamored with the meat either. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great, it was ok. And the place was supposed to be good, it came recommended from a friend who is big on asian food. So I just haven't bothered again. I know a sushi place with reasonable prices and great food, and I go there. For barbecue there's plenty around.

If I want BBQ I'll go find a Maori or a Samoan or a Tongan and ask him to bury some meat in a hot pit for me and then eat like a king. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EagleMan said:

Eagle went further than the yellow belt, friends. He tied the yellow knot

22 hours ago, Feanor said:

Honestly I wasn't enamored with the meat either. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great, it was ok. And the place was supposed to be good, it came recommended from a friend who is big on asian food. So I just haven't bothered again. I know a sushi place with reasonable prices and great food, and I go there. For barbecue there's plenty around.

The meat isn't top tier, but it's basically buffet meat because you can have as much as you want. Plus the shared grilling is supposed to make it more sociable, and people tend to feel gratified by cooking it themselves even though it's made easy for them to get it right.

18 hours ago, Spankfurt said:

Eagle went further than the yellow belt, friends. He tied the yellow knot

Just everything else

Eagle definitely lived in Vancouver for a period of time, it's confirmed.

sushi is only good in countries who have large fishing industries

aka spain,norway,portugal,russian far east etc

everywhere else the fish was frozen before served and its nowhere near as good as fresh fish sushi 

i feel like sushis can only be served with fresh fish otherwise it loses the flavor the same way rice is complete garbo if you put it in the fridge for a day and then cook it again

That's funny cause according to Babish, fried rice is never authentic unless it's day old refrigerated rice. 

Also, Pona surmises that only country's in the Northern Hemisphere have thriving fishing industries.