Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Philippines' Duterte loses patience, orders trash shipped back Canada

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered his government to hire a private shipping company to send 69 containers of garbage back to Canada and leave them within its territorial waters if it refuses to accept the trash, his spokesman said on Wednesday.

“The Philippines as an independent sovereign nation must not be treated as trash by other foreign nation,” Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo told a media briefing.

Canada says the waste, exported to the Philippines between 2013 and 2014, was a commercial transaction done without the government’s consent.

Canada had already agreed to take the rubbish back and the two countries were in the process of arranging the transfer.

But Canada missed a May 15 deadline set by Manila to take back the shipment, prompting the Philippines to withdraw top diplomats from Canada last week.

“Obviously, Canada is not taking this issue nor our country seriously. The Filipino people are gravely insulted about Canada treating this country as a dump site,” Panelo said.

On Wednesday, Canada said it had hired a company, Bollore Logistics Canada, “to safely bring the waste back to Canada as soon as possible,” according to a government statement.

“The removal will be complete by the end of June, as the waste must be safely treated to meet Canadian safety and health requirements,” the statement said.

The Philippines has made several diplomatic protests to Canada since a 2016 court ruling that the garbage be returned.

The consignments were labeled as containing plastics to be recycled in the Philippines but were filled with a variety of rubbish including diapers, newspapers and water bottles.

Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland spoke to her Filipino counterpart, Teodoro Locsin, about the garbage spat last week.

“As I mentioned to their Foreign Secretary last week, we are committed to resolving this issue as quickly as possible. Today is an essential step forward in accomplishing that,” Freeland said in the statement on Wednesday.

The issue is not the only one to strain ties between the two countries.

Last year, Duterte ordered the military to cancel a $233 million deal to buy 16 helicopters from Canada, after Ottawa expressed concern they could be used to fight rebels.

Reporting by Karen Lema and Neil Jerome Morales, additional reporting by Steve Scherer in Ottawa; Editing by Robert Birsel and Susan Thomas

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-canada-waste/philippines-duterte-loses-patience-orders-trash-shipped-back-canada-idUSKCN1SS14D

PERSONAL COMMENT:

High level diplomatic Negotiations cut into Rodrigo's nap time. But actually strong man is admirable. 

That helicopter deal is funny though. Trying to sell military helicopters and then being mad that they will get used in an on-going conflict.

• Like 1

Good to hear that Duterte is still being a hardass. Also yes, the irony regarding the helicopters is great- especially when the Canadian military continues to assist NATO in the Middle East against, what're they called? Extremist rebels?

1 hour ago, Soup said:

Good to hear that Duterte is still being a hardass. Also yes, the irony regarding the helicopters is great- especially when the Canadian military continues to assist NATO in the Middle East against, what're they called? Extremist rebels?

Hey, HEY! They're fighting TERRORISM! Not at all the same as rebels freedom fighters in the Phillipines.

4 hours ago, Baledwyr said:

What happened with the helicopter sale?

When you don't read the article you yourself posted. 🙄

18 hours ago, Baledwyr said:

Last year, Duterte ordered the military to cancel a $233 million deal to buy 16 helicopters from Canada, after Ottawa expressed concern they could be used to fight rebels.

1 hour ago, Spankfurt said:

Hey now he's just the messenger ! The paperboy can't be expected to be literate, let alone read every Sunday issue

Given his age, shouldn't it be paper uncle, or paper grandpa?

2 minutes ago, War4life said:

you guys are like 2-4 years apart tops, bors just looks 45

Well @Baledwyr routinely refers to me as Diplo's creepy uncle, so paper uncle it is.

I read it, I thought Feanor might have some more juicy goss from the deep dives into his stash of recently declassified KGB  dossiers. 

• You need communism 1

Posted (edited)

The real question here: Was Duterte talking about literal garbage or was he referring to the unchecked scourge of illegal Canadian immigrants?

Edited by M3rkabo

26 minutes ago, M3rkabo said:

The real question here: Was Duterte talking about literal garbage or was he referring to the unchecked scourge of illegal Canadian immigrants?

This.

They are like a never ending line of stoned maple syrup salesmen. Where one bottle falls, another steps forth to take its place in the line. 

Posted (edited)

The thing about the garbage is, and I ain't talking about those people, is how a Canadian company was selling Recyclables to the Flips, but they were actually dumping garbage there. Household waste etc. So naturally, Papa Durente is like "what the fuck is this noise"  and goes into Hercules mode. So then it turns out the company that was shipping Canada's trash goes belly up and bankrupts. Enter the current(ish) show we see of how Papa Durente wants Canada to pay, in which Canada will (or has already?), to the tune of a estimated 1.5ish million and take the literally trash back.

The helicopter deal is just Canada's PM trying to appear pro-military and typical, prostrating to the world. As far as I know, Canada really isn't known for it's mighty military arms deals and manufacturing of such. Durente knows Trudeau is a muppet and a push-over. Honestly, I think they should duke it out, bareknuckles for 3 rounds of 3 minutes each, cuz let's be fair, it would be glorious to watch Papa smack that chump around for a bit.

Edited by VisKnut

9 minutes ago, VisKnut said:

The thing about the garbage is, and I ain't talking about those people, is how a Canadian company was selling Recyclables to the Flips, but they were actually dumping garbage there. Household waste etc. So naturally, Papa Durente is like "what the fuck is this noise"  and goes into Hercules mode. So then it turns out the company that was shipping Canada's trash goes belly up and bankrupts. Enter the current(ish) show we see of how Papa Durente wants Canada to pay, in which Canada will (or has already?), to the tune of a estimated 1.5ish million and take the literally trash back.

The helicopter deal is just Canada's PM trying to appear pro-military and typical, prostrating to the world. As far as I know, Canada really isn't known for it's mighty military arms deals and manufacturing of such. Durente knows Trudeau is a muppet and a push-over. Honestly, I think they should duke it out, bareknuckles for 3 rounds of 3 minutes each, cuz let's be fair, it would be glorious to watch Papa smack that chump around for a bit.

When a white supremacist praises a Filipino crime boss.

• You need communism 1

2 minutes ago, Feanor said:

When a white supremacist praises a Filipino crime boss.

Durente is a god-level Troll. My understanding is that, people like him, but don't like him for his anti-drug punishment stance, but it's working.  I think the world needs more proper men running it, instead of the sissy, fashion weekly, bonaza we're all so accustomed to over here.

7 minutes ago, VisKnut said:

Durente is a god-level Troll. My understanding is that, people like him, but don't like him for his anti-drug punishment stance, but it's working.  I think the world needs more proper men running it, instead of the sissy, fashion weekly, bonaza we're all so accustomed to over here.

I think this is how he wants to be seen but bluster can't replace competence.

I mean he's doing something right. Most Filipinos over here don't have any problem with him brutalizing drug dealers. 

Posted (edited)

Duterte has brought down crime a lot. Apparently having rowing bands of gunmen roaming the streets samarily executing 'suspects'. Actually does deterr drug trade in this case.

The less educated lower-classes in the Philipiners love him because he actually has brought results. Buuut if you just watch him on youtube, holy shit the man is stupid.. I mean i can see why people like Putin because he is actually intelligent. Duterte just looks like a complete buffoon in any interview i've seen him in..

I guess people like strongmen for the same reason that we have had kings and despots for all of human history.

Edited by SteakOnSpear