Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Banded Collar Shirts

Men-s-Banded-Collar-White-Dres-15224_xla

What do we think of the, Diplo? I think they look cool, are sharp and designed to look so without taking a tie which is good since so many business people and politicians these days think that the tie is a useless appendage.

CAIZIYIJIA-Summer-2018-Men-s-Banded-Coll

MV5BYmRiNDAzYTItMWE3YS00ODkyLTgzNWItYjEx

I'm not on board. I prefer shirts with a collar.

• Hello 1

I'd wear one of those if:

I was a chef

I worked a cruise ship as a chef

I kinda like the deleted button look, but I think it would look silly with the top button undone.

Not in a professional setting. Casually, do what you want.

Our Indian Hotel Manager wears them and he looks like he's trying to be some tropical executive chef

Prefer the collar but they can look sharp

See reason I wouldn't mind them in my line of work is that there's no collar, so difficult for someone to get you by the scruff in a fight...and likewise as there is no collar and they are not designed to take a tie, there would of course be no tie that someone can neck you with in a fight. But at the same time it still looks suave as fuck.

• Funny 1
  • Broadside 1

11 hours ago, Baledwyr said:

See reason I wouldn't mind them in my line of work is that there's no collar, so difficult for someone to get you by the scruff in a fight...and likewise as there is no collar and they are not designed to take a tie, there would of course be no tie that someone can neck you with in a fight. But at the same time it still looks suave as fuck.

Bors when considering formal clothing options: "would this work well in a fight?"

I mean I enjoy the occasional Bond film too but...

Posted (edited)

The first thing that came to mind besides a chef's outfit was a shirt my dad ended up ordering off the internet that had a good cut to it (but a terribly itchy fabric). I've since discovered the style of collar that I thought was banded was actually a mandarin collar (and the indian nehru collar which copied it), and honestly while the banded collar is... Classic, for service staff, beyond instant recognition of such I'd say it lacks the stylish flair of the mandarin collar or the well-dressed look of a typical western shirt and tie that looks sharp when done well.

spacer.png

As it is, band/banded collars seem to have been designed for detachable collars which were popular in the 1830's. The banded "collar" shirts have remained in clothing, but the detachable collars don't seem to have. I don't particularly care for them without the potential of some of the what I must imagine were more interesting collar designs, and thus in lieu of them I would take a mandarin collar any day for a sharp but tie-less shirt. I will note however, that both banded and mandarin collared shirts can seem to come in the short base-of-the-neck style and the the high collar look, and I think both look better in the latter.

They can be quite spiffy:

spacer.png

Chinese clothing adverts are an unexpected gem:

55cd65d6N13b0ac90.jpg.cca55967472b1e0acca08849fe450d99.jpg

Quite nice on the ladies as well, though shirts are harder to find:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would also add that it seems you can find a good mandarin collar by looking for the nehru collar that it inspired. Apparently, this particular style of collar has also been used in movies throughout the years in villain apparel...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

987702-dr-evil-wallpaper-1920x1080-download.thumb.jpg.675293fb9ee3b6332ad20e4ed4a0e786.jpg

spacer.png

And how Dr No dressed Bond while he was out cold:

spacer.png

Wait is this guy a villain?

spacer.png

Edited by Soup
[spoiler]

On 5/15/2019 at 4:57 AM, Baledwyr said:

Would you actually fight some tuff? I can just picture you standing there telling the perp to do whatever and take whatever, the shit is insured and quite frankly, you really don't give a toss.

Oh if you could hear some of the stories of some of the incidents in Westfield. 

Sign in to follow this