Sign in to follow this  
Abdel

Discord Partnership Code of Conduct - Forums more necessary than ever?

Community platforms (Discord and Website)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What should our approach be to the new Discord policy?

• Trust Discord fully
    • Be slightly wary of Discord and build up our own infrastructure
    • Build up our own systems and move to completely migrate off discord.
    • Abandon Discord fully.

Here's Discord's new code of conduct taking effect next month on Discord Partners. I dont have a problem with any of these on their face, but this is an unprecedented precedent where Discord is actively going to police speech and take disciplinary actions against communities that dont cooperate or comply: 

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024871991-Discord-Partnership-Code-of-Conduct

image.thumb.png.0ffccccfa93789c48edcd18a9f6120e8.png

Although we currently are not Discord Partners there's no reason why they wouldn't apply this on smaller communities in the future, as smaller and more remote communities are more likely to exhibit the behaviors, attitudes and speech that Discord is trying to police on partners. 

What say you Diploer? Am I overblowing this possibility or do you think we're safe? Do you think we need to get ahead of this and build up our own infrastructure again or just trust Discord? 

@Abdel Discord gained a lot of it’s success due to the ability to build your own decentralized message board infrastructure. That and ease of access of course. It’s a shame that they now feel the responsibility to act as mediators, as that is what is leading to the sharp decline in use of other social media companies like Twitter and Facebook. When you start censoring, you lose the cool factor in the youth generation, which happens to be their primary demographic. That said, I don’t think it’s something to jump the gun on, but it wouldn’t hurt to have your bases covered just in case it happens to become inhospitable.

• My Man 1

I believe Discord is a convenient platform for avid video game players, though I remain steadfast in the belief that our community thrives within the forum. I doubt Discord will punish us, though I advise us to be cautious.

• Like 1

I don't particularly like discord as a format, and this behavior makes me dislike them even more. I don't think abandoning discord at this point would be the right decision, given how much use it's getting, but we need to be prepared for the eventuality that we will either have to leave discord, or at the very least severely limit what we use discord for (perhaps just game organizing).

• Informative 1

I have nazi servers in discord at the moment

if they are still fine at this moment

i am pretty sure diplo is more then fine also

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this