Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Baby powder helping fund Islamic State in Afghanistan: report

KABUL (Reuters) - Islamic State fighters in Afghanistan are making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from illegal mining of talc, much of which ends up in the United States and Europe, advocacy group Global Witness reported on Tuesday.

Almost all went to Pakistan, where much of it is re-exported. Pakistan provides more than a third of U.S. imports of talc and much also ends up in the European Union, it said.

“Unwitting American and European consumers are inadvertently helping fund extremist groups in Afghanistan,” Nick Donovan, Campaign Director at Global Witness, said in a statement, calling for stronger checks on imports.

Illegal mining of gemstones and minerals such as lapis lazuli is a major source of revenue for Taliban insurgents and the report said Islamic State was fighting for control of mines in Nangarhar, the province where it has its stronghold.

Nangarhar, on the border with Pakistan, has large deposits of talc as well as minerals such as chromite and marble, and sits on major smuggling routes used for drugs and other contraband.

The report quoted a senior Islamic State militant commander as saying that wresting control of mining assets from other armed groups in Nangarhar was a priority: “The mines are in the hands of the mafia ... At any price we will take the mines.”

Security officials in Afghanistan have long been concerned about the uncontrolled traffic in Nangarhar of commodities like talc and chromite, which the Global Witness report said “may be the least glamorous of conflict minerals”.

It said that while it was difficult to estimate the value of the trade to Islamic State, revenue from mining in Nangarhar could amount “anywhere from the high tens of thousands to the low millions of dollars a year”. Somewhere in the hundreds of thousands was a plausible mid-range estimate, it added.

The sum did not appear very high, it said, but the U.S. military estimated the strength of Islamic State in Nangarhar at somewhere between 750 to 2,000 fighters, meaning the funds would be a significant source of revenue to the movement.

An Afghan mining ministry spokesman said a special committee had already been established to coordinate approaches to the issue with security and intelligence services. The ministry planned a news conference this week to address some of the specific issues raised in the report.

Reporting by James Mackenzie; Editing by Mark Heinrich

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Edited by Guest

Good guy terrorists

Helps make baby powder

See, shit like this is why the Baltics keep getting taken by someone bigger.

Actually, nobody ever covers India ever but their government is becoming somewhat overrun by Hindu violent nationalists.

So when you buy stuff "Made in India", there might be a good chance that you bought something from a dude who supports lynching people for slaughtering cows (or did it himself). As a whole, the population there seems to be getting more radical towards its minority Muslim population.

And India's economy, although it has massive problems, still commands a powerful influence in the world.

Edited by Guest

Actually, nobody ever covers India ever but their government is becoming somewhat overrun by Hindu violent nationalists.

So when you buy stuff "Made in India", there might be a good chance that you bought something from a dude who supports lynching people for slaughtering cows (or did it himself). As a whole, the population there seems to be getting more radical towards its minority Muslim population.

And India's economy, although it has massive problems, still commands a powerful influence in the world.

I'll need to see some polls and stats on Indian opinions before i believe that. Budist countries are usually very non-violent compared to the west.

Edited by Guest

I'll need to see some polls and stats on Indian opinions before i believe that. Budist countries are usually very non-violent compared to the west.

Yes because Indonesia is a prime example

It's not like most Indians are terrorists or something like that, but Hindu nationalism is something to watch out for. I was friends with several Nepalese people when I lived in Colorado and they all said that many Indian people are kinda crazy-angry at most Muslims. Of course there are plenty of good things about India and Indians in general.

Secondly only Sri Lanka, Bhutan and south east Asia are primarily Buddhist. Sri Lanka had a civil war, Laos and Vietnam had the Vietnam War, & southern Thailand and Myanmar have fanatical buddhists that persecute Muslims.

Buddhists are barely more likely to follow the teachings of Buddha than Christians are to follow the teachings of Christ. Most people are not willing to meditate 16 hours a day and so they half ass Buddhism as much as Christians half ass Christianity.

Many Buddhists have no problem raping people inside temples. No problem, common practice. And early Buddhist sites were as like to host criminal syndicates and brothels as meditation hubs.

Edited by Guest

Indonesia is mostly of the islamic faith though?!

Yes its islamic and its state religion is sunni

Myanmarese have been butchering muslims for some years now

I seen reports saying up to 100k muslims could have been killed and up to 1mil more driven away to bangladesh

Edited by Guest

Yeah I've been reading of/ hearing about the animosity between Indian Hindus and Indian Muslims from colleagues for a while now.

Also, most of Southern Sri Lanka is Catholic as a hang over from the Portuguese.

Buddhists are barely more likely to follow the teachings of Buddha than Christians are to follow the teachings of Christ. Most people are not willing to meditate 16 hours a day and so they half ass Buddhism as much as Christians half ass Christianity.

Many Buddhists have no problem raping people inside temples. No problem, common practice. And early Buddhist sites were as like to host criminal syndicates and brothels as meditation hubs.

Well buddism isn't really a religion, it's more like a lifestyle. But yeah i forgot most indians are Hindu not buddist. Which is a religion.

Edited by Guest

Well buddism isn't really a religion, it's more like a lifestyle. But yeah i forgot most indians are Hindu not buddist. Which is a religion.

No dude buddhism is a religion its just that western hippies made it into some ghetto culture

But in asia budihists take their religion very serioslly

I mean we had buddhist terrorists active in china for decades now

And now even most prominent religious heads in buddhism are advocatingthat there can t be peace between muslims and buddhists

Yes because Indonesia is a prime example

When people call americans ignorant of the rest of the world, this is why. Indonesia is primarily muslim mate. On Bali, one tiny island of indonesia, people are Hindu but the rest is muslim and some parts christian.

No dude buddhism is a religion its just that western hippies made it into some ghetto culture

But in asia budihists take their religion very serioslly

I mean we had buddhist terrorists active in china for decades now

And now even most prominent religious heads in buddhism are advocatingthat there can t be peace between muslims and buddhists

From what i know about buddism. You don't have a divine deity you pray to. There is Budda a normal guy but no deity. This is what i mean.

People i've talked to on my travels have all told me it's more like a lifestyle it's not comparable to monetheistic religions. Some take it seriously and dedicate their life to it.

Edited by Guest

When people call americans ignorant of the rest of the world, this is why. Indonesia is primarily muslim mate. On Bali, one tiny island of indonesia, people are Hindu but the rest is muslim and some parts christian.

From what i know about buddism. You don't have a divine deity you pray to. There is Budda a normal guy but no deity. This is what i mean.

People i've talked to on my travels have all told me it's more like a lifestyle it's not comparable to monetheistic religions. Some take it seriously and dedicate their life to it.

Buddha is pretty much a god to buddhists

They just pretend to be "enlightened" and say they pray to buddhas vision,world at large,life style,idea and shit like that but in the end they still pray and its still a religion

I mean i can say my life style is to do demonic orgies for satan but its still a cult

You get what i am saying

Just cause some fag said no i am not religious buddhists and then goed on to pray does not actually mean he is not religious its just means he is a lying fag

Its just that some fags in west think of buddhism something it is not

In lithuania we have a buddhist temple and everyone sane pretty much aggres that buddhists use that temple to chanel funds and support for tibet while conducting human indoctrination to gulible stupid people

Edited by Guest

They just pretend to be "enlightened" and say they pray to buddhas vision,world at large,life style,idea and shit like that but in the end they still pray and its still a religion

I mean i can say my life style is to do demonic orgies for satan but its still a cult

You get what i am saying

Just cause some fag said no i am not religious buddhists and then goed on to pray does not actually mean he is not religious its just means he is a lying fag

In lithuania we have a buddhist temple and everyone sane pretty much aggres that buddhists use that temple to chanel funds and support for tibet while conducting human indoctrination to gulible stupid people

All religions are lies though. Believing in a lie, doesn't mean you are lier if you preach it.

Edited by Guest

Not stalinism

No lie there

There was a stalin

And he had balls made of stalinium

Thats it

Also on your point on how westernes understand buddism as being false. That's the case with all religions. Even westerners understanding of christianity is objectively wrong. Religions are always just adapt to cultures when they spread. Kinda like Korean Jesus.

Honestly pre-China Tibet was an awful place. It's rather ironic that the Dalai Lama is held up as some great spiritual leader, given what kind of society the Lama's presided over.

You get what i am saying

Zen Buddhism just involves sitting down, shutting up and getting whacked with a 警策if you fall asleep while meditating. Also koans which are just basically philosophical riddles. No gods, it's just a fusion of Buddhism and Taoism. Theravada Buddhism you're kinda right, they build statues of the Buddha and stuff which is kinda dumb and antithetical to his whole point about dukkha (suffering).

The regions where Theravada Buddhism occured were the same regions cross-pollinated with Hinduism. Hinduism and Buddhism cross-pollinated each other constantly and they rose and fell almost in sync across different regions of southern/southeast Asia. Like half of the temples were dual purpose temples to Buddha / Hindu gods. They probably felt the need to elevate the Buddha to god-hood status after seeing that the Hindus have someone to worship. And Hindus and Buddhists have no problem living with each other so hey let's be friends and do the same stuff right?

I'd argue that Buddhism is a little better than Christianity though just because the content of the religion is harder to fuck up into "OMG let's worship Buddha" than it is with Christianity or Christ's teachings.