DIPLONEWS
  • Don't miss DGL at 8PM EST rotating Saturdays and Sundays.
  • Diplo is getting an Ark server contact Duck for more information.
  • Want to play Dungeons and Dragons? Join D^3 to play now!
  • Want to watch movies with Diplo? Contact BaneBladeLuv for more info on movie night!
Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

Warcraft Total War 24

All 12 new player have been seamlessly integrated into Total War existing framework. They have been worked into everything; diplomacy commands, UI triggers, and the Blacksmith/Help/Map Objective area!

WdNEunMj2_5P7jKt8FUmE_ondUU6Jr9H1jVL9J9chJVGMJPvWj_4RrekHwlz76ModgM2ip3-wSPkwy0tLM2x9tGiFiPUbP2mWztyjuoAMm8ZJqqwfGANaR1p52L5J3Q3RTqRqgeI

The core file will still be 12 players to allow for the development different game modes namely ‘Hour of Twilight’ and ‘Alliance vs Horde: Battle for Azeroth’. A 24 Player File (Warcraft Total War 24) will also be released in parallel with future patches. For obvious reason it is Faction Selector only. The Faction Selector mode was played once in patch 3.11 before 1.29 with actual players and it played out very well with the few reported bugs easily fixed. That battle tested the mode in preparation for the 12 new players which adding in was very simple due to the intuitive design of Total War’s triggers. Enough rambling.

The Faction Selector mode is explain more in detail here:

Warcraft: Total War Faction Selector

24 Player Faction Selector

wYmK9s4rt_xg6usLefWT1Fhe_n55CnczepARtQB0zLiyTwyawi8MnMzx3Afpi4sJOsepmA5K7yGzIk_jHYmZR4x3EHTVQNMnMLuraZ8o69Y3679mIOtlxAd2I3BK7N9I9yZV1wKJ

vwyJlYIrNTyYVam11BPquE2ZL81wI2FetrULw5WWZQFvUIHL1o31thJQWuEtLBnwBaVv0VcDF8J05RGhg6vYimILxJANoXfRR2a1Bty-ZCY7Dyq5mMXWwSm7Owqh3DYeaBypPjsQ

7MZou7tUYJlINCLRd4SDE19I8SaHFuUKEbUOkN8GQwvHbmw3MMNWNZBoRt0Lgv52qdSMJ91jK41AcYF7K8yh-6Wi6YPgAHluf6JxlTMA5sS0sG1y_WK4lNDQuPBjnLc7hd4PrYmG

m2zd9ENC4vT2PJWIQ2iMhYbqK0poHJ8yIkW_KSQoUxXK_MPyJ-VdnehdRaCK_PjfptdTdITEpiTN1WSvq8e8kFDva-XzwMWIPXxxPy3YKzCbmOickc9Cx-bm9aD0XDcbcuRiNwqg

*Note: Pink was picked Garrosh’s faction which was mis-labeled Kor’kron from the Alliance vs Horde mode. I just pasted Draenei over it to avoid confusion but will probably end up confusing people even more. Just wanted to explain why it was copy pasted. :)

As an homage, I also picked all the old Azeroth Wars factions as their rough 13-24 player color equivalents so the Legacy colors could be free pick new factions!

Getting all 24 player slots integrated into the triggers/features was a nice little side project to what I was working on before 1.29 dropped which was overhauling all the Factions. Elites have been massively updated and Heroes are getting tons of unique spells, some with light triggering required. The idea has been to give the Factions the attention I’ve given previous patches which have shaped entire continents. If a singular aspect of the map can still improve that much then it’s still a ways off from the smaller patches and being able to host more that I’ve been after for a long time.

Moving forward I will be releasing 12 and 24 versions of the map. I have been toying around with ideas for a preset game for more than 12 players and it would be very easy and fun to set it up. Maybe 18 players with Alliance vs Horde vs Old Gods vs Scourge vs Illidan as an example. That will have to wait until Factions have been overhauled to have much more unique toolkits to differentiate from one another and I have gotten around to added the planned Quest system to give heroes personal events to pursue.

Now that the 24 player busy work is out of the way I can be get back to the Faction spell set overhauls. Starting next week (hopefully) I will begin posting individual faction threads showing their before and after hero overhauls, give some lore(why I chose the heroes), and maybe some basic strategic tips depending on which game mode their in (if applicable). That will eventually lead up to the next patch which will for obvious reasons be a big one, I’m very excited!

• Like 1

Managed to play a full house game of this on Monday. I feel like a lot of people left due to the amount of things that are going on at the same time. It's really quite hectic and not due to the amount of players. It seemed to put a lot of people off.

I'd suggest some kind of vanilla mode that strips the map of a good chunk of content so people can focus on the actual gameplay.

The gameplay feels very macro/spam oriented.

Managed to play a full house game of this on Monday. I feel like a lot of people left due to the amount of things that are going on at the same time. It's really quite hectic and not due to the amount of players. It seemed to put a lot of people off.

I'd suggest some kind of vanilla mode that strips the map of a good chunk of content so people can focus on the actual gameplay.

The gameplay feels very macro/spam oriented.

Glad you gave the map a shot sorry it didn't work out. The Faction Selector mode (at least by me) was played once with 12 players and twice so far with 24, all 3 games played out pretty well but I was helping people, explaining stuff, and helping them get accomidated. To say there is still a lot to work out is quite an understatement. I do feel overall there is a bit too much on screen text bombarding people and can definitely tone that down for the hotfix. As fun as all these game modes are to work on I plan on fixing bugs but would like to put major overhauls to them on hold while I focus on the core map. Factions are going to be getting some much needed attention to help give them different play styles.

I am a little curious as to what content you are referring to that could be stripped? The map has had little exposure so far but I've largely been playing with people who more or less have been helping me with it all along so they understand the various content (Faction Swaps, Last Chance, Mercs, Capturable Mechanics, Game Modes). A lot of people do agree the map is a bit overwhelming at first but there is a general consensus that once you do it something in the map you understand it. Faction Swapping is a perfect example, people are usually confused by the rules it has but once they do it they get it no problem. Even If you just boot up in in single player for a few minutes to give me some ideas to work with. I've generally had the problem that I (having made it) understand how everything works and have worded tooltips/tips/etc. in a way that again makes sense to me...but I already know it, so I need to to make sense to other people! Any pointed feedback on the subject would be much appreciated!

Glad you gave it a shot though, expect the map to continue to evolve over time!

Edited by Hannibal

Dude make a good F9 guide

we had like 2 ppl who never picked a faction in 12vs12 because they were confused all game

also make commands in f9

like the god damm helpers are not for everyone i was like brown and i din t had a helper so i had no idea what commands wer which

basically make f9 so anyone can read

jesus

i am salty

that game was shit

its was ruined

RUINED BY MEMES AND GARBAGE SCOURGE

• Like 1

Dude make a good F9 guide

we had like 2 ppl who never picked a faction in 12vs12 because they were confused all game

also make commands in f9

like the god damm helpers are not for everyone i was like brown and i din t had a helper so i had no idea what commands wer which

basically make f9 so anyone can read

jesus

i am salty

that game was shit

its was ruined

RUINED BY MEMES AND GARBAGE SCOURGE

Actually, Brown not having those buildings warrants a hot fix. Sorry about that! Faction Selector mode is actually a recent creation and is compatible with 24 players. Text is an on going war and I opted to put all the info on those tool tips because quest menus have a chance of glitching and being cut off. Dragon told me you guys got stomped. :(

Edited by Hannibal

Actually, Brown not having those buildings warrants a hot fix. Sorry about that! Faction Selector mode is actually a recent creation and is compatible with 24 players. Text is an on going war and I opted to put all the info on those tool tips because quest menus have a chance of glitching and being cut off. Dragon told me you guys got rofl stomped. :(

Yeah because we had like two guys who din t even select a faction and nobody had time to explain to them how to select it

And because we had a leaver

So suddenlly all the good players who could do something to influence the game found themselves 1vs2 or 3

So we only got like northrend and few teritories at start but got overhelmed bad

Also some guy who played ironforge somehow had max upgs at like 10 min mark with 10 cps

While i was like 2 1 upgs with 6 cps

Lets just say that was shocking to test out dwarfen steel

I have no idea how the hell he had so much lumber for this

Also was a random guy that nobody knew

Gg

Edited by Guest

Yeah because we had like two guys who din t even select a faction and nobody had time to explain to them how to select it

And because we had a leaver

So suddenlly all the good players who could do something to influence the game found themselves 1vs2 or 3

So we only got like northrend and few teritories at start but got overhelmed bad

Also some guy who played ironforge somehow had max upgs at like 10 min mark with 10 cps

While i was like 2 1 upgs with 6 cps

Lets just say that was shocking to test out dwarfen steel

I have no idea how the hell he had so much lumber for this

Also was a random guy that nobody knew

Gg

Just finished watching the replay he was 3/4 when around turn 15. He captured Ironforge early on (getting 6 per turn) and I believe killed the boss in Uldaman too. I need to rewatch it but in a situation like that a player can just change teams when the pax expires using the ally/unally commands. If I was there I would have suggested or switched sides myself. I found that out in the basic 6v6 mode a player could just go solo if its 6v5 or someone can switch teams if it ends up 6v4 to making it 5v5. I'll let draggy know for next time. He was doing a good job of explaining the grace period and other things.

Also somehow at game start if you look at my heroes and the ship who is transporting them isn t my ship

I believe norsk somehow abducted my heroes and dropped them off in the isles while not geting his own heroes ????

I just remembered this and it was really bizzare

We never shared units or anything lime that

I would like to say more but honestlly din t have time in game to figure out what happened

You should watch that moment

Edited by Guest