DIPLONEWS
  • Don't miss DGL at 8PM EST rotating Saturdays and Sundays.
  • Diplo is getting an Ark server contact Duck for more information.
  • Want to play Dungeons and Dragons? Join D^3 to play now!
  • Want to watch movies with Diplo? Contact BaneBladeLuv for more info on movie night!
Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

24 Players in Warcraft Total War

Warcraft Total War 24 is not a question of if or even how in my mind but when. Having 35 Factions there is already a way for 12 more players to easily get in the mix. There’s basically two ways to go with this, involving static and non-static modes. Essentially Exodus and Faction Selectors can easily accommodate more players because they let players pick factions at the beginning and/or build up without set starting locations i.e. non-static. These can and will be set up with 24 players as soon as everything is working out with the editor. They also are not really dependant on having a set number to begin with as any number of player will do but you at least want 10 or else the map will start to feel empty.

For static gameplay there is quite a bit that can be done just utilizing the existing framework of Total War. I had a grand idea of mixing Alliance vs Horde and Hour of Twilight with several other Evil factions trying to take over. Teams would look like this:

Alliance - Stormwind, Ironforge, Gilneas, Kul Tiras, Sentinels, Draenei

Horde - Orgrimmar, Trolls/Tauren, Forsaken, Blood Elves, Goblins, Kor’kron

Twilight - C’thun, Yogg-Saron, Deathwing

Scourge - Scourge, Ebon Blade

Illdari - Illidan, Fel Elves

That’s 19 kind of an odd number but I think evens out most fronts. I also thought a Legion Team could be added with Dreadlords, Satyr, and possibly giving the 3rd player a choice between Archimonde or Kil’Jaeden’s factions. This brings the count up to 22. All of these factions and heroes are in the map, all that needs to be done is open the player slots and change owner of the units and it would be viable to play.

Another kind of crazy idea would be setting up 24 static nations around the map and setting up the map to be more free for all or diplomacy style.

Ultimately, I think I will keep a core 12 player file rolling while laying the groundwork for some of these other configuration.

The question of when is largely determined by being able to Save the map in the new editor and Custom Tile Pathability. Currently the PTR editor still gives the error that too many units are placed to save the map. And the issue of losing the ability to use Rock Tiles as a means for pathing could delay the move to the default editor. This could be remedied by using pathing blockers, and yes I am aware you can make bigger ones, but I would like to avoid it if possible.

The Error when saving.

YHRLDs_4Sk1wtU6jYjWifluWY6dtZ62WpemjgTzrKkUessHMlwdS93MsJEQCm0OMSz7O67w7ZSi-fSFLzsu6c9PHqW6rSedvrSy7uLPJyy5kw7L66uy5FZsH-6QwSgQsAOzpktjq

There is also an issue of the map taking much much longer to load in the updated Blizzard editor than on the old editor. That’s one of the things I enjoy the most about working on Total War is the speed at which it loads and run in the editor. Opening some of the older maps I worked on to get some resources some of them took much longer to load despite having significantly less content than Total War.

Here is the 12 new players Wisps placed but I am again unfortunately able to save until Blizzard removes those limits as well or another editor provides additional support.

ajMgVym5UcRhsjnzsau_R_5l0BJrA-Cvi_VL5vyuWUGM-Q6HzitQekMPoir1ij6R52RqchkCKM1XdyLst74vTBusQAUWuQqVrWBHjcacAcztrXfGk7RvPKzHw0n8nB7-nqxCTewA

I have already prepared many triggers for 24 players as well. So back to my original thought it’s not a matter of if or how but when Warcraft Total War 24 will be a real thing. I can’t wait for the chaos! :)

Are you concerned about how the black faction will appear in relationship to neutral hostile units?