Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Happy New Year!!

You know, one of those names on the side of the discord that says "online," but never participates in or plays games with anyone else we know.

So half the discord?

• Like 1

You know, one of those names on the side of the discord that says "online," but never participates in or plays games with anyone else we know.

Oh yeah, all those fancy colored names and tags that do literally nothing other than have a little 150x300 pixel diplo logo on thier page

Not everything revolves around Diplo, guys. New people to the community that only play multiplayer games with us some of the time, or who just like to interact in chat is fine. Just because you haven't played games with them does not mean they don't play games at all with other people in the discord.

The deal with partnered streamers is that people looking for an LFG community who watch them come here and find us, and in return we feature there stream in a spot so a good loop can form. I'm going to be overhauling that program so its more relevant to what Diplo'ers would like to watch.

The team is trying to figure out different things that do and don't work, and then focus on that for 2018. Things that don't help is prominent members who get salty when a new game, group, or individual shows some interest and wants to participate in some way.

Not everything revolves around Diplo, guys.

I thought that on the Diplo site and discord, DIPLO would be the focus, but I must be the fucking stupid one then.

I thought that on the Diplo site and discord, DIPLO would be the focus, but I must be the fucking stupid one then.

You kind of are, yeah. Why would new people to the community automatically have Diplo as their main focus? These are people from all types of games who do a lot of different things and have many different friends, like any average online individual.

Its ok that people use the site and discord to casually reach out to people and game. If you wanted an exclusive members only cult, gizzle is >>>>> that way

Which website are you the operations director for again?

Not that I should have to defend new members, but both Chi and Robert both play games with people on the discord and also have a pretty cool podcast they do as a hobby. I'm the operations director for a site that has some of the the most fun multiplayer experiences ever, is a great place where long lasting friendships have been formed, and sometimes has the greatest concentration of salt known to the internet.

Not that I should have to defend new members, but both Chi and Robert both play games with people on the discord and also have a pretty cool podcast they do as a hobby. I'm the operations director for a site that has some of the the most fun multiplayer experiences ever, is a great place where long lasting friendships have been formed, and sometimes has the greatest concentration of salt known to the internet.

Without the salt we would not be diplo.

Believe me, I would love nothing more than for more people to participate and new people to come in. I don't even care if they play games I like or even whether or not they hate my guts. I guess it's just a little ridiculous, to me, to call someone a diplo'er who doesn't participate in the community at all. I don't really get why you disliked my comment, when it's merely reflecting a reality of our discord.

I've had many conversations, with people who are old-guard types and with some of our newer-active members, about who these people are in the discord and why they never do anything. No one seems to have an answer. The discord members who don't participate give us a number, and to some people that number looks impressive. I'm more about experiences, so if a discord has 10,000 members but none of them actually put in work to grow a community culture or a group of friends that play games together, it's worthless to me. I personally think that having so many people in the discord without them ever doing anything does have an effect of lowering morale, ironically making the space feel more barren and empty, and ultimately seem more inactive. If I can see one person online and think, "Ok, I'll play a game with them" that seems a lot more lively to me than if I see a wall of people who are unfriendly, in their own worlds, and apathetic to diplo.

I'll continue to support new players and I'll try my best to be friendly and inclusive, but I'm not gonna act like someone who joins the discord off some streamer then never talks or plays or participates in anyway is somehow part of the community. Everyone has an opinion, and that's mine. Obviously, I don't run Diplo, so CNiper's opinion is really the only one that matters at the end of the day, and I respect that.

• Like 1

Honestly it sounds like these streamers want to promote themselves but aren't interested in doing much for us, hence their lack of interest or activity.

I disliked your post because you were responding as if Chi and Robert haven't played games before when they have. Its like someone on the forum saying "Who the fuck is Stormy! Hes just one of those guys that made an account and doesn't post anything".

There is a lot of people who are in the discord and don't do anything. They're free to come and go as they please, and I don't mind them being there or not being there really. After all its a public discord, and its the reality with most discords with a large amount of people in them. Just like the forums, almost 4,000 members...

I'll continue to support new players and I'll try my best to be friendly and inclusive, but I'm not gonna act like someone who joins the discord off some streamer then never talks or plays or participates in anyway is somehow part of the community.

The people I was mentioning and that you were responding to aren't these people, though.

At the end of the day, members can be fully fanatical like me, or casual like some of the discord members, or checking in once every 6 months like Zep0l. Nobody should really be judged by their level of engagement though, we're all just here to game.

The issue isn't whether or not they play games, it's whether or not they participate in the community by playing with other players in the community or talking to other players in the community about the games they play. If I'm wrong, I'll concede you're right. Who have they played with/talked to?

The issue isn't whether or not they play games, it's whether or not they participate in the community by playing with other players in the community or talking to other players in the community about the games they play. If I'm wrong, I'll concede you're right. Who have they played with/talked to?

This is the last time I'll be explaining for a new person, it gets tiring. As old members, you guys have to realize you are the gatekeepers of this community. When someone new joins, posts a selfie, or shares something they're doing and you say - "Oh they're useless and don't play games with anyone" thats going to come off as toxic - if I entered a community and someone did that to me I'd be gone quicker than bread at the bread fair.

Chi joined to find people to play PUBG with, Robert joined to find people to play Heroes of the Storm with. Not that I keep a list, but I've played with both of them and have seen others like Abdel and Cole when I'm in discord.

You're right, you shouldn't have to need to explain things for new members.

They should be posting on thier own behalf.

Sure, I guess if you wanted you could PM them this thread, or ask them whats up and if they'd like to game. That'd be a good idea, they are pretty nice people :)

Literally this thread: "Oh no the new discord users aren't using the forum"

Yeah cuz it's not 2007 guys. They play games with community members now and then. That's enough to merit them being in the community. There's a fuckton of users on the forum who don't post or contribute anything. Can you guys rattle off five thousand members names? The pictures are featured because they actually interacted with the little thing CNiper did on NYE. The reason people with more community interaction like Feanor or Van aren't featured is because they didn't post anything.

This is the last time I'll be explaining for a new person, it gets tiring. As old members, you guys have to realize you are the gatekeepers of this community. When someone new joins, posts a selfie, or shares something they're doing and you say - "Oh they're useless and don't play games with anyone" thats going to come off as toxic - if I entered a community and someone did that to me I'd be gone quicker than bread at the bread fair.

Chi joined to find people to play PUBG with, Robert joined to find people to play Heroes of the Storm with. Not that I keep a list, but I've played with both of them and have seen others like Abdel and Cole when I'm in discord.

Sure, and I will happily welcome this newcomer streamer of yours. Where is her welcome thread? Can you link me to it? I can't seem to find it.

Literally this thread: "Oh no the new discord users aren't using the forum"

Yeah cuz it's not 2007 guys. They play games with community members now and then. That's enough to merit them being in the community. There's a fuckton of users on the forum who don't post or contribute anything. Can you guys rattle off five thousand members names? The pictures are featured because they actually interacted with the little thing CNiper did on NYE. The reason people with more community interaction like Feanor or Van aren't featured is because they didn't post anything.

Yeah but my attitude to the 5000 ghost members is just as salty as it is to the discord AFKs. So, we're perfectly consistent here.

There is clearly a discord/forum disconnect and we have to ask at what point do we become simply linked by name?

I'm not saying that people need to post on the forum and vice versa but I think it's fairly clear that two separate entities are forming so to speak and that naturally leads to friction.

I see where Jimmy is coming from and we definitely do need to be wary if that because there is a possibility if left un attended it could mutate into another community schism a la Salazaria/Gwydia.

I think the answer is obvious...we must publish the form newspaper again, we must tell stories.. Brilliant stories! We must galvanise the morale and resolve of our people! We must make examples yes, but examples to follow! We need our Heroes.

P.s.

I will also point out that I did post a Christmas selfie that could have been used that no one added anything to. <.<

I see where Jimmy is coming from and we definitely do need to be wary if that because there is a possibility if left un attended it could mutate into another community schism a la Salazaria/Gwydia.

I think the answer is obvious...we must publish the form newspaper again, we must tell stories.. Brilliant stories! We must galvanise the morale and resolve of our people! We must make examples yes, but examples to follow! We need our Heroes.

I thought the obvious answer would be to send all the separatists and parasites to the GULag. But hey.

I mean, the moderators and administrators between discord and the forum are identical though. Plenty of other groups, like clans exist separate too with no administrative overlap.

For consistency I say we make bane a mod on the forum.

Or remove him from mod on discord.