Sign in to follow this  
The_Phalanx

How Baby Boomers Screwed America

People could work at a grocery store and raise like 5 kids on that wage for the baby boomer generation.

I think that in itself compared to nowadays says something

Let's play the blame game.

It's reactionary to people blaming or shaming millenials when they aren't even in power yet.

Though to be fair there is quite a bit of touchy-feely nonsense in this generation too. It doesn't excuse what went on prior, but every time I see a man wearing earrings, skinny jeans, and talking about their feelings, I want to bring the draft back.

It's reactionary to people blaming or shaming millenials when they aren't even in power yet.

It's just that when you really contemplate your own death / mortality (as opposed to the amusement park of modern society), blaming others becomes a lot less palatable.

Starting with Reagan, we saw this national ethos which was basically the inverse of JFK’s “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.” This gets flipped on its head in a massive push for privatized gain and socialized risk for big banks and financial institutions.

lolwut. JFK's famous quote in this context actually speaks against the argument theyre trying to make. Nobody pays taxes to make their country better, as a matter of fact, we all make an active attempt to be forced to give the least amount of our money in the form of taxes to the government.

This is the same president that cut taxes, favored free trade, was anti-abortion, had lower government spending than Eisenhower, increased military spending and wanted to reform welfare.

JFK would be considered a conservative by any measure if he were alive today. This article is cloaked as "fuck baby boomers" when its really "fuck Reagan".

Or both. Gonna go with both.

Nah it's really a "fuck conservatives" article. Baby boomers and Reagan identify more with Republicans. JFK who essentially had conservative views by modern standards gets placed on a pedestal just because he had a D next to his name.

Then again this is vox.

Boomers are probably the worst generation this far.

Sons and daughters of the greatest generation, they took the exact opposite direction, collapsing the middle class, crashed traditional values trough feminism and hippie BS, polluted the worled en masse and left their children with a bleak future.

The greatest irony is that many of them were yuppies, hippie douchebags screaming to save the planet, and after college they became the elitist corporate aresholes they so much despised.

They call the millenials (who they raised) exactly what they are. pot calling the kettle back.

Thanksdad.jpg

• Like 1

Hippies were always a minority, they are emblematic of the generation but it's not like the whole group was that once. It'd be like summing up millenials as SJWs or alt-righters. All the corporatists aren't former hippies.

I think there was a certain attitude of unity behind JFK's rhetoric that didn't translate to policy, but still reflected the feelings of people at the time. I agree JFK is vastly overrated. I think he's one of the worst, if not the worst modern president. But Reagan definitely personifies an absolute shift away from unity and trust in the government/general national unity. He said shit like the worst thing to hear is "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Well, lets get rid of the military and FEMA then... the government EXISTS to help the national populace. But baby boomers, by and large, see government as solely an impediment, and that anyone who needs help from the government at any time is lazy/sick/taker/worthless. The government should've been making massive investments in infrastructure and education, especially after the Cold War, but we've pissed it away on tax cuts and military spending.

I strongly disagree with Abdel that no one pays their taxes to make their country better. I agree no one pays more than they have to because the idea that everyone should have to pay their fair share, but I ONLY want my taxes going to make the country better. I want it to help my fellow American, and make my nation stronger. I'd support higher taxes on myself if they actually funded programs that made it happen. I think it's so funny Republicans/baby boomers point to nations like China as such a threat... they're a threat because they've spent countless dollars modernizing infrastructure and educating their citizens. As a reaction to that we pour money into our military, while our citizens increasingly take an anti-intellectual and anti-science stand so that they have no chance on competing in an increasingly globalized labor market. We've had the tech for decades to make it so any state actor that attacks us will be wiped off the globe... past that there's really not much/any return on investment for all this military spending.

• Like 2

This man said nothing of substance and ad hominem'd his way through an interview. But I guess that's what made his book sell.

• Like 2

Thanksdad.jpg

You could always run to Siberia. Lush forests, huge rivers flowing into the soon to be warm Arctic ocean, and the ancient fortresses of the Ice Bears to hold back the rising tide of the barbarians.

Siberian Diplo Empire?

• Like 1

Nah it's really a "fuck conservatives" article. Baby boomers and Reagan identify more with Republicans. JFK who essentially had conservative views by modern standards gets placed on a pedestal just because he had a D next to his name.

Then again this is vox.

Nah, he gets put on a pedestal because he got shot.

Also you know: decent foreign policy.

Bay of Pigs and getting the US entrenched in Vietnam were certainly great foreign policy choices. . . His best foreign policy decision was doing nothing during the Cuban missile crisis--rather unspectacular.

Bay of Pigs and getting the US entrenched in Vietnam were certainly great foreign policy choices. . . His best foreign policy decision was doing nothing during the Cuban missile crisis--rather unspectacular.

Bay of pigs wasn't his plan it was eisenhowers, US wasn't entrenched under his policy, that was johnson. He did enforce limited test and had the only correct assesment of vietnam. Most of the stuff he gets blamed for are other people's decisions. His actual policy was pretty solid, even though he got viewed at the time as a weak leader (somewhat like kruschev) was pretty solid in retrospect although that gets into a bit of counter-factuals.

The guy sounds like he is just going to do a comparison between then and now in his book. Yeah, lots of things are worse now. What did the boomers do wrong though?

I mean, as President I'm sure very little is actually YOUR plan that you thought of all the way through...choosing which plans to execute, that's what it comes down to. JFK's administration executed Bay of Pigs. Does it really matter who thought of it? And the diplomatic framework for being entrenched--military advisers, etc--were certainly more firmly laid in JFK's admin. I think a few presidents share blame for that war, and JFK isn't blameless.

you think baby boomers are bad in usa ?

think twice

in europe its catastrophic

once baby boomers go to pension the amount of old people milenials would have to sutain would be half of europes population