Sign in to follow this  
avisthesking

Avis first try at Medieval 2 Total War(with pics)

Disclaimer- there are no pics.

This is a story of hardships, losses and victories, where Battles were fought for no actual reason but for the sake of fighting. Unfortunately there are no pictures because i didnt expect this whole turn of events to happen one after another.

All that Will be written here actually happened, no modification was made to the events.

This tale begins in the campaign selection, not sure what to play to just try out the game i decide to play britannia, i go Over the choices and it says "strong pikemen" for Scotland, good enough of a reason to me, Turn on hard mode and let's go.

Game starts, i take a look at graphics, could be worse, i select a village, right click buildings to see what they do,queue random buildings and check my finances,i dont take a deep look and i figure they probably decent,realized later on i was already negative at start.I see some dudes on map, i figured spies or something like that, i click one, says merchant, Over mouse in picture "right click to show Info" , i right click, no Info is shown, same for the diplomat, still dont know their actions.

I look for my armies, i see 2 armies in army tab, One big in south and one smaller in north, i queue up all units available for recruitment in both armies. I passed 3 turns to get the units. Mission pop up, random rebels occupy One province, i send my north army into it and autoresolve, rip rebels. I decide to send south big army into norway towns, same with north, the true story starts here, the northern expedition.

Northern Expedition

First Battle

The Expedition Started on a cold day, forces marched through the mountain led by their general, a Young man in his thirties. There was a fort close to our borders, moves my army there and declared war, it was do or die against norway. Bigger army inside then mine so i start sieging and buildings siege units, 3 towers, 1 ladder and 2 catapults.After 2-3 turns the army inside attacks me, its the first battle, i have the siege units but Will do me nothing here. I go to the Battlefield, i try to reposition my units, no unit is actually moving so i dont know whats going when its deployment phase. I take a look at enemies fortress and i realise they are moving " oh, we out of deployment phase". Enemies Sally out, my units are all in a line, i have no time to reposition them, Enemy cavalry crashes into my right flank, infantry is forced to fight it, i send some cavalry there while i try to figure out who are the archers, infantry etc among my units. Everything is going to fast, Enemy infantry charges against my line of units, its a complete mess in the center, my good cavalry with my general is on the left, i send them against that Enemy infantry flank and their cavalry there. Enemy starts to rout in the center, i keep pushing with infantry and likes, enemies rout nonstop and keep returning so iam just chasing them, my armies chase them to the left side of the fort.

I look Over to the siege units, i look Enemy cavalry attacking it and my archers, i send One unit Over to fight it. The chase continues, enemies keep routing and returning, its a blood Bath next to the fortress, enemies are running, my men chase and surround their general, Enemy general is dead, half of the army now starts to rout inside the fortess, my men rush in and slaughter them, the fortress falls in our hands. Around 180 units Lost of 100 from us, Over 1000 dead on their side.

Second Battle

The fort was taken. Its now Norway time to make a move, an army of 1000 arrives by boats and walks close to the fort, its my Turn now,i get an event pop up- Norway King arrives with vikings army- i dont wait for units, rush out and face this second army. This time i have deployment phase, i deploy pikes on front, infantry and archers behind, cavalry on right flank and 2 catapults on the back, its 3 cav units with general, 4 good pikes 1 spear, 5 infantry and 2 archers.

Iam on a small mountain, my units are slowly going down while enemies arrives, once he arrives we look at each other and to my surprise he attacks me, he cant charges because Cliff and the viking Clash into my pikemen, my cavalry attacks from the right and my infantry from the left, enemies start routing, i chase them down, they keep returning, a fierce battle going on but iam winning decisively. A cinemátic comes up, One of my horsemen falling down "oh my general is dead" "Your King had fallen!" " Oh wtf, he was my King,why did he have the shit army", the King falls but the men do not waver, they chase down this King slayers around the map for vengeance and so the Enemy general also fell. The battle was won but at what cost? The King was dead and the men wavered in their Will to fight. Same amount of units dead lowering the army to around 600. Men were tired and wanted to recover but such was not the Will of the gods.

Third and final battle

Doom was then ever before, after the Turn passed the army moved northeast into a coast with a town fortress, it was insane to attack,an act of a madman, the advisors warned " it must be where the King is, there is even a nearby force,its impossible!". The general did not care, this would be it, what would lead him to victory, the King had to be Avenged!

And so, the attack begun and the battle Started, everyone knew that the expediction was close to its end and this would be it. The battle starts, the 2 catapults start shooting the gate, the 2 archers go forward to fire, too late did i realise they were being shot at, Lost half the archers while the gate fell, an army was coming closer, it was the second nearby army, same Number of units/divisions but with no losses to them(i almost never Lost divisions in previous fights). Pikemen were out on the front in spearwall, cavalry on the flanks and infantry behind again, they came from the left side of the fortress. A Clash was unavoidable, fortunately for me the pikes still had around 70 men each, enemies rushed forward, the pikemen held, the cavalry vs cavalry Clash begin and the infantry Started to flank, this day they wouldnt lose, they would push this army before reinforcements arrived and such they did, enemies wavered and Run for their lives, the fight was on, enemy units came One after another,routing and returning nonstop, the fight was fierce.The Enemy general was surrounded and Killed, 2 infantry units were sent to hunt down the archers left, the rest had to go inside the fortress, the pikes were sent ahead, the push was slow but steady, the army broke through and rushed in to fight the enemies, enemies were routing to capture point, One cavalry unit was on the side so the army engaged, all that was left was the units on the capture point, blinded by victory i rushed everyone in, it was disaster,the man already low Started to waver with less then 20 units each, only 2 units of cavalry were left - 1 with only the general Alive and the other with two horsemen- they were orders to retreat while infantry fought, in a Blaze of Madness and bravery the infantry surrounded the Enemy cavalry " the Enemy King has fallen!". The King was Avenged but it was not Over, units start to rout until all left, it was Over, the 2 infantry units never reached the archers and were far away,1 even came back, all that was left was 3 horsemen and some archers and catapult men that left the catapult, the horsemen rushed the archers outside the fortress routing them, more then half the men dead. 3 infantry units left from the enemies almost full of units, in madman act i sent the horsemen with the archers and catapult men against them, they imediately routed, 2 heavy infantry units were behind, once again a charges begun, it was the end but One must face the end in bravery, the cavalry charged the enemies, in maybe a blessing from God the first unit routed and the other followed.

"Victory!"

It was Impossible but it happened the Expedition was Over and the north was Taken, more then half the men dead but the King was Avenged.

And this ends the tale of the Northern Expedition,a tale of bravery, sorrow and vengeance.

TLDR:Medieval 2 -10/10

Battle realism 10/10

Scotish pikes stronk confirmed

The scotish pay their debts

• Like 2

It is interesting you find that pikemen are strong in med2. Is it a modded game? Far as I remember I heard many accounts that pikeman and 2 handed soldiers are mega gimped in med2. I know in mods they fix them but in vanilla they are a niche unit at best. Watch out don't rely too heavily on pikemen. I am not trying to discourage you a lot of people really favour scotland however I am just saying it is unwise to rely too much on pikemen in vanilla. Eitherway cavalry really dominate the playing field in med2 but there is nothing more glorious than infantry combat so fuck cav.

Like pona said It would be a enjoy to see some pictures of the battles, if that is possible. Maybe even gifs those would be better.

It is interesting you find that pikemen are strong in med2. Is it a modded game? Far as I remember I heard many accounts that pikeman and 2 handed soldiers are mega gimped in med2. I know in mods they fix them but in vanilla they are a niche unit at best. Watch out don't rely too heavily on pikemen. I am not trying to discourage you a lot of people really favour scotland however I am just saying it is unwise to rely too much on pikemen in vanilla. Eitherway cavalry really dominate the playing field in med2 but there is nothing more glorious than infantry combat so fuck cav.

Like pona said It would be a enjoy to see some pictures of the battles, if that is possible. Maybe even gifs those would be better.

I didnt take any pics, no idea how i would get them when i didnt save anything, also yeah no idea if pikes are actually good, game was a bit buggy for me with others not being issued correctly and those constant routs didnt seem normal at all.

Used no mods, was just me getting a feel for the game regarding combat wise and management, not an actual campaign, i even forgot to say that by the end of it i was -15000 in treasury with supposed rebels popping that i never Saw.

I didnt take any pics, no idea how i would get them when i didnt save anything, also yeah no idea if pikes are actually good, game was a bit buggy for me with others not being issued correctly and those constant routs didnt seem normal at all.

Used no mods, was just me getting a feel for the game regarding combat wise and management, not an actual campaign, i even forgot to say that by the end of it i was -15000 in treasury with supposed rebels popping that i never Saw.

I enjoyed the Britain Kingdoms campaign as much as the Americas campaign. I can't really tell you anything about scotland however the Britain campaign is phenominal all around. The start of Total War games is always the hardest just gotta plow through. You defeated the enemies so you should be good just focus on consolidating and getting nice troops. This is the Kingdoms campaign right?

I enjoyed the Britain Kingdoms campaign as much as the Americas campaign. I can't really tell you anything about scotland however the Britain campaign is phenominal all around. The start of Total War games is always the hardest just gotta plow through. You defeated the enemies so you should be good just focus on consolidating and getting nice troops. This is the Kingdoms campaign right?

Yeah it is, dont know if i wanna continue, i think i Will get some mods to fix the units and improve the game any sugestions for mods?

Honestly if i defeated aí on hard in a meme campaign while not even going for much strategy i think i Will be fine trying a new campaign and going for real.

Yeah it is, dont know if i wanna continue, i think i Will get some mods to fix the units and improve the game any sugestions for mods?

Honestly if i defeated aí on hard in a meme campaign while not even going for much strategy i think i Will be fine trying a new campaign and going for real.

One of the best campaigns I have played must have been Gondor in the LOTR dlc however it must be the most difficult campaign possible in any med2 scenario. Then there was a super atmospheric Warhammer mod that felt nothing like the new WH by CA. It is worth a try both of them. Finally if you just want historical then you can't go wrong with stainless steel really. Stainless steel is just a direct improvement on everything med2 related.

The 3 most popular med2 mods I believe they are all worth atleast a try. All in all medieval 2 gameplay feels much more mature and rich in content than newer adaptations by CA. It was truly a golden age for strategy.

For the Warhammer mod I recommend Wissenland for a cool and atmospheric campaign. Infact I had more fun and memorable moments in med2 Warhammer than in any other game. It is completely different from CA's Warhammer adaptation and very unique.

If you are interested:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-warhammer-beginning-of-the-end-times

PS: You should still continue your Scotland campaign against the evil brits. FOR FREEEEDDDDOOOOOMMMM!!!!!! Atleast Until your entire army dies lol. Post pictures of your last stand and such!

One of the best campaigns I have played must have been Gondor in the LOTR dlc however it must be the most difficult campaign possible in any med2 scenario. Then there was a super atmospheric Warhammer mod that felt nothing like the new WH by CA. It is worth a try both of them. Finally if you just want historical then you can't go wrong with stainless steel really. Stainless steel is just a direct improvement on everything med2 related.

The 3 most popular med2 mods I believe they are all worth atleast a try. All in all medieval 2 gameplay feels much more mature and rich in content than newer adaptations by CA. It was truly a golden age for strategy.

For the Warhammer mod I recommend Wissenland for a cool and atmospheric campaign. Infact I had more fun and memorable moments in med2 Warhammer than in any other game. It is completely different from CA's Warhammer adaptation and very unique.

If you are interested:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-warhammer-beginning-of-the-end-times

PS: You should still continue your Scotland campaign against the evil brits. FOR FREEEEDDDDOOOOOMMMM!!!!!! Atleast Until your entire army dies lol. Post pictures of your last stand and such!

Will give the mods a look then when i return home thursday and try a campaign and post with pics and everything, if the campaign autosaved i can take that army to the end until it dies but not sure, might just go for a first try at stainless steel since that army was almost dead by the end, probably around 300-400 men left only.

I was promised IMAGES.

im passing around a petition to get avis perma banned from diplo for clickbait

Gottem.

Third age total war is the only good reason to get med2, with mos submod ofc.

Will give it a look, game itself doesnt look that bad if it gets some extra stuff.

Try out Europa Barbaorum 2 as well. Best mod for Antiquity.

And for the Med 2 era, there is also Deus lo Vult, which is similar (if not better) than stainless steel.

Try out Europa Barbaorum 2 as well. Best mod for Antiquity.

And for the Med 2 era, there is also Deus lo Vult, which is similar (if not better) than stainless steel.

Reading some comments on Deus lo vult and i see a lot of talk about crashes though.

since i put more 10000 hours in med 2 20000 in all of total war games

and 100 trying to learn and get mods to work

100 more testing mods of bugs and crfash and 10000 hours of playing mod i call myself total war expect the only game put thte same hours in in mouunt blade

heres one thing you need to know rome 1 is easiest total war also easiest to have fun time with also rome 1 op elephant op cavarly that are easy to control and feel light and kill everything generals in rome 1 are army killers rome 1 is the game that is most fun if your new

but if you put many hours in med 2 and learn all menachin like how pope favor system work how crusades work also with tech like highter tech you get gun powder and some faction like italians or iberian faction get high tech melee units and span get also good cavarly and alot more thing makes med 2 more fun but only after you many hours in

first when people asked i would always say rome 1 but now only rome 1 in the start then med 2 that why i recomoned rome 1

about no total war games has better mods med 2 rome 1 has good mods but not compred to med 2

good med 2 mods are sub mods for third age like baron sambedi mos froggs turtle mod

pcp dagor encor first age mod second age mod fourth age mod

divide and conquer

for call of warhammer most submods are outdated also sense devolpler are russian latest version havent been translated to english yet so play botet instead until the it get translated also great modds are

delle mundi elder scroll total war

gothic total war

eb2

broken cresent

and stainless steel but only play stainless with submods alone is not fun

also one thing to know is faction that is missle carvarly based and missle units requiro most micro but are the most op trust me

i played as moors one 1-4 battles against danish with range cav and range units why i got enougn ammo to kill most of them and rout rest of them with range cav but it takes time while when you play faction

denmark or scotland that mostly meleee infanty you just right click and win

there two most easy faction also have weakaest gunpower of all europe faction only faction with weaker is byz

and no mongol and aztec dont count becasue you cant play as them

good med 2 mods are sub mods for third age like baron sambedi mos froggs turtle mod

pcp dagor encor first age mod second age mod fourth age mod

divide and conquer

for call of warhammer most submods are outdated also sense devolpler are russian latest version havent been translated to english yet so play botet instead until the it get translated also great modds are

delle mundi elder scroll total war

gothic total war

eb2

broken cresent

and stainless steel but only play stainless with submods alone is not fun

What do you mean submods?

sub mods are small mods for bigger mods like third age or stainless like you install big mod first then sub mods after there mos is like alot of small submods in one big submods

also if you know how to modify your game you can play as aztec then end turn to turn 1000 and then just write togge_fow to see what happended with campaign and rest faction and since a,l is too stupid to go too america your safe so you can click end turn with no danger

sub mods are small mods for bigger mods like third age or stainless like you install big mod first then sub mods after there mos is like alot of small submods in one big submods

also if you know how to modify your game you can play as aztec then end turn to turn 1000 and then just write togge_fow to see what happended with campaign and rest faction and since a,l is too stupid to go too america your safe so you can click end turn with no danger

What kind of submods would be good for stainless steel?

Pikemen are super strong if you know how to use them properly. Theyre cheap, hold ground well but you have to know how to set them up and position them.

Pikemen are super strong if you know how to use them properly. Theyre cheap, hold ground well but you have to know how to set them up and position them.

I believe he said they werent that good because apparently there is some problem with two handed units in medieval 2. I think no one can argue the strenght of pikemen in total war games, if well used they win unwinnable Battles, at least thats my opinion.

Sign in to follow this