I've always wanted a GoT map, more like awlr with defendable castles and chokes with powerful heroes and wast armies. You should do that.

A game like that would be so much better than the awful spawn based GoT map.

I was close to doing it myself but then i realized the amount of work that would take.

• Like 1

I've always wanted a GoT map, more like awlr with defendable castles and chokes with powerful heroes and wast armies. You should do that.

I was close to doing it myself but then i realized the amount of work that would take.

That's the goal.

Indeed - 2happy4u's map is quite outdated. Especially with the new file size limit, so much more could be done.

It takes a lot of work, however with help (especially with triggers) perhaps it could be done by the end of the year.

Let me know if you have any ideas for this map.

• Like 1

Updated Playable Factions + Paths + Start Summary. The list is not final and incomplete; things could change + more stuff will be added. Also keep in mind that certain paths can overlap.

Ironically there was a build based GoT map way before our spawn based map but it was a flaming pile of shite.

Imo, the Dany faction sounds boring since it'll be 30 minutes of pve.

Also we never added Arya/Jaqen cause it was still season like 3 and everyone had really high expectations that the heroes would never have lived up to LOL.

Imo what would be cool would be if instead of splitting it just purely regionally, you split it more factionally according to the lore. Like, instead of making North and Riverlands two factions, make it Stark loyalists and Freys/Bolton's/Karstarks/Etc

Edit: if you want the banner models we used in GoT lemme know. I would offer help with scripting/triggering, but I'm already tied up with too many other projects.

• Like 1

Ironically there was a build based GoT map way before our spawn based map but it was a flaming pile of shite.

Also we never added Arya/Jaqen cause it was still season like 3 and everyone had really high expectations that the heroes would never have lived up to LOL.

Imo what would be cool would be if instead of splitting it just purely regionally, you split it more factionally according to the lore. Like, instead of making North and Riverlands two factions, make it Stark loyalists and Freys/Bolton's/Karstarks/Etc

Edit: if you want the banner models we used in GoT lemme know. I would offer help with scripting/triggering, but I'm already tied up with too many other projects.

Your map was the best GoT map imo, but i just can't take spawn based games. I keep giving it a chance though because Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

I was part of a small community based around a GoT map on SC2 called A Song of Ice and Fire, which was somewhat similar to what you're describing. It was spawn based, and didn't have anything to do with city building, really. I think your map sounds great--I'm just mentioning this other map for potential ideas/inspiration.

• Like 1

I was part of a small community based around a GoT map on SC2 called A Song of Ice and Fire, which was somewhat similar to what you're describing. It was spawn based, and didn't have anything to do with city building, really. I think your map sounds great--I'm just mentioning this other map for potential ideas/inspiration.

I would occasionally look at the SC2 one it never seemed that interesting. You should check out the wc3 one at some point. That said it's a flaming pile of shit.

Well, it's not 100% build based. Main bases are preplaced buildings + doodads for style + gates+ walkable walls + stairs/ladders.

Buildings that are construct-able are for small bases, upgrades, unit production, fortifications, and harvesting resources.

Lol - I'm sure it was terrible because of the lack of custom models and file size limit back then.

Dany's path will start as PvE however it'll will be challenging. Dany's events in this map will take place just before the Undying and getting kicked out of Quarth, then she'll go to Astapor, command the unsullied and go Yunkai at more or less 5:00 depending on the player's skills. Meereen should be capped before 15:00. Then Iron Borne, maybe Stannis, Dorne, or Vale will end up there after 10 minutes of sailing - Meereen is the bottom right of the map, farthest from anyone + they have to get through pirates and stormy weather (slows). Or Dany builds her own ships or buys from the free cities to get to Westeros by 20:00.

The starting positions is early War of the 5 Kings so Robb will start at Riverrun with the northern armies.

Stannis will start off just after capping Storm's End and be poised for the Battle of Blackwater.

Things should move quickly with this set up.

Well, each Region will be able to path a faction so I guess it works out. Also would be a bit spotty in terms of map control.

Thanks. I'll love to take those bannermen - you mean the ones used in Roberts Rebellion right?

Also, it's cool. I have most of the base triggers already however I need to learn how to make event triggers + make 100 of them xD.

EDIT: Soon I'm gonna post screens of main castles I'm working on. Eyrie is looking really good with the Giants Lance and all.

Lol - I'm sure it was terrible because of the lack of custom models and file size limit back then.

It was terrible because it wasn't well designed at all. Dany was a playable faction and she spent the entire game just doing nothing and fighting PVE which was bland as fuck. Tech trees were really, really boring. It just needed a lot more love to get it to something playable, but instead happy came along and built the spawn based version. Also, the custom model and file size limitations barely limited most maps. The engine starts to crap out with too many custom models and you get fun visual bugs, so using more than 8mb wasn't really the limitation. Map size was more of a limitation but it didn't limit us for the spawn-based map, we were more limited by player number as we could feasibly make a fun Dany without removing several players from Westeros and planting them on Essos.

I honestly don't think having Dany as a playable faction is a good idea unless they changed the player cap to 16 so you could have several other players on that continent. PvE, unless done really well, will end up bland without some sort of decent AI.

I meant the banners from the ASoIaF spawn based map that I was a dev on. Though I could rip one of the bannermen models from Robert's Rebellion and hand it to you if you really want those, but that's a bit shadier.

• Like 1

I meant the banners from the ASoIaF spawn based map that I was a dev on. Though I could rip one of the bannermen models from Robert's Rebellion and hand it to you if you really want those, but that's a bit shadier.

Well my map is for The War of the 5 Kings and onwards, so I'd prefer yours.

I agree with you about Dany. Gotta wait for testing to see if it truly works.

Well my map is for The War of the 5 Kings and onwards, so I'd prefer yours.

I agree with you about Dany. Gotta wait for testing to see if it truly works.

Texture work wouldn't be hard to fix on the Roberts rebellion models if I did rip them, so if you want them, I can edit them properly to use the right banner textures :3

• Like 1

Roberts was really good as a map, altho an aimfest the models and terrain were really nice.

Also i think it's smarter to focus on Westeros instead of the whole world so you can make more details in a world most of us are interested in.

• Like 1

Texture work wouldn't be hard to fix on the Roberts rebellion models if I did rip them, so if you want them, I can edit them properly to use the right banner textures :3

Is it too much to ask for both ? :D

Roberts was really good as a map, altho an aimfest the models and terrain were really nice.

Also i think it's smarter to focus on Westeros instead of the whole world so you can make more details in a world most of us are interested in.

I feel you but Essos played many roles in Westeros's conflicts.

Also, Westeros is narrow and long - on a 480x480 map there's still plenty of room for Essos.

I have a few options for laying out the architecture and I want people's opinions.

Option 1) Fantasy medieval models (example wc3 base files barracks and Castle). + Doodad based cities & main building.

Many cultures could use different textures sets while using the same generic building models (Ujimasa Hojo's building sets for different races).

Humans-Andal Westeros; Gilneas-First Men Westeros; Highborne-Essos.

Many castles would have unique models but there would be some repeats (could try to make it more unique with doodad decorations).

Smaller Doodad based walk-able walls.

Option 2) Realistic medieval models from my medieval map & Arab buildings from the same author who made all the models. + Unit based cities.

European models would be used for most of Westeros and Arab models would be used in Dorne and Essos.

These models are smaller and act like puzzle pieces so I can build a dozen unique castles with the pieces (Realistic + Consistent Andal Architecture).

Bigger Unit based walk-able walls.

Option A) Smaller cities more proportional to where things were on the map with less paths.

Option B) Bigger major cities and castles with more paths.

Options 1 and A would feel a lot more like 2happy4u's ASOIAF for the most part.

However, I'm leaning towards for Option 2 and B for something a bit more unique and realistic, although it takes up a bit more map room, it'll be worth it.

Was cleaning my Dropbox account earlier and remembered I already have a convenient link to the banners we use right here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2oxvg89yl19o1de/AAD6umLZCLjczi0bQGVpeTfwa?dl=0

You can easily change the banners by just modifying that lovely texture file and then converting it to blp. If you need help in that regard, I can also quickly do that too so whatever banners you need for this won't be hard to make.

I've used them in other games (Mainly WC3 Banjoball) too with some lulzy team franchise logos:

lanVOJO.png

Things have been busy. Good news though. My medieval map is close to an alpha release (this GoT map uses its systems so it has priority for now). The map is roughly done and I'm impressed how well it came out. The proportion to the actual GoT map is nearly perfect. Some tweaks were made for some tight spots but for the most part its true to scale - looks great. I'll post screenshots soon.

I'm researching major castles layouts now - I'm impressed in many ways... I also now realize how bad 2happy4u's map messed up castles. Many should have been atop high platue's and many castle's layouts are inaccurate. Example: Storm's End. It has no docks and should've been on the edge of a steep cliff. The layout should've been circular with a grand tower in the middle.

Good thing Game of Thrones has many scenes showing major castles. I'm going to do my best to make them legit.

Any screenshots?

I'll post them in the first post soon - working on some touch ups first.

So far the terrain is all shaped out. I'm going to play with elevation, add texture, and add main castle structures - then I'll post screenshots. Even then it'll be quite rough however the proportion/blueprint is visable. The layout looks so different from GoT Risk and aSoIaF - it will be very impressive once terrain is done.

Here's a roughed out minimap and map view. It's a long way from done however the propotions are looking pretty good. Top right border is going to be used for instances. I think I might add a bit more sea below dorne... What do you think?

Appreciate any feedback.

knBj5so.jpg

Qrp71N6.jpg

Map referenced from: http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map/versions/speculative_map.jpg

• Like 2

It's looking sexy af. I think it'd be a bit nicer if it were a tad larger but that really depends on what kind of map this is.

• Like 1

It's looking sexy af. I think it'd be a bit nicer if it were a tad larger but that really depends on what kind of map this is.

Thanks. Glad you like it. What part would you make larger?

I think it's fine as is however I wouldn't mind expanding the Bloody Gate and Gates of the Moon with more buildings. Also the description says this is one of the smallest castles in Westeros so I tried to keep the layout simple. It's still relatively pretty big, not sure if you can see the peasant there next to the Eyrie.

I might trim the Eyrie and replace the space with more mountain - the stables protrude too much, so I might trim the model so I can add mountain doodads to make it look like its carved out of the mountain.

Thanks. Glad you like it. What part would you make larger?

I think it's fine as is however I wouldn't mind expanding the Bloody Gate and Gates of the Moon with more buildings. Also the description says this is one of the smallest castles in Westeros so I tried to keep the layout simple. It's still relatively pretty big, not sure if you can see the peasant there next to the Eyrie.

I might trim the Eyrie and replace the space with more mountain - the stables protrude too much, so I might trim the model so I can add mountain doodads to make it look like its carved out of the mountain.

Oh I take that back I didn't even notice the peasant holy moly.

• Like 1