Sign in to follow this  
StoPCampinGn00b

Should I go to community college even if I don't want to?

Nah actually I want to take a semester off and start in January instead of August. My parents aren't too happy about this thought and I might be too beta to not follow through with it and assert my position. Help.

Nah actually I want to take a semester off and start in January instead of August. My parents aren't too happy about this thought and I might be too beta to not follow through with it and assert my position. Help.

Get a Jerb.

It's because if you stop you likely won't start again. If you're rl desperate claim too low grades or a prerequisite you need to take. Won't mean you're doing nothing but will leave you with a p much empty schedule

Community College is such a joke, at least where I live, that I was getting drunk all the time and still looked like a star pupil compared to the rest of the people there. Just do it.

Community College is such a joke, at least where I live, that I was getting drunk all the time and still looked like a star pupil compared to the rest of the people there. Just do it.

Community College is a graveyard. It's hard to transfer, even hard to go somewhere decent.

Community College is a graveyard. It's hard to transfer, even hard to go somewhere decent.

In California there's a quota for the number of students Cal States have to take from Community College transfers. I'm pretty sure UC's have something similar. There's usually some kind of partnership between a CC and the closest colleges also. Cal Sates and UC's are both pretty good in the grand scheme of things. Sure, you have to be one of the upper tier students to transfer to either, but in my experience that isn't hard.

You shouldn't go to college just to go to college. It sounds like you're unsure what to study; if that's the case then do some research before signing up for random classes.

In California there's a quota for the number of students Cal States have to take from Community College transfers. I'm pretty sure UC's have something similar. There's usually some kind of partnership between a CC and the closest colleges also. Cal Sates and UC's are both pretty good in the grand scheme of things. Sure, you have to be one of the upper tier students to transfer to either, but in my experience that isn't hard.

I have two energetic and determined friends who went the CC route and even then it took each of them 3 years to transfer to a normal school, and in on case 2.5 in another 3 years to finish their majors at those schools, because they were effectively behind. So while it's not impossible, the failure rates are astronomical. And it's important to understand that your environment has a lot to do with how determined you are. Being surrounded by your average CC students is not exactly a positive influence.

I have two energetic and determined friends who went the CC route and even then it took each of them 3 years to transfer to a normal school, and in on case 2.5 in another 3 years to finish their majors at those schools, because they were effectively behind. So while it's not impossible, the failure rates are astronomical. And it's important to understand that your environment has a lot to do with how determined you are. Being surrounded by your average CC students is not exactly a positive influence.

This has been my experience as well. Friends of mine ended up taking 3 years longer than and paid considerably more by trying to take a cheaper alternative through CC -> normal 4 year institution to get the same degree.

Most transfers from cc I know only need a 5th year, and not the entirety of it, and got in in their 3rd year.

It's nice having the first 2 years not in a uni since cc courses are so fucking easy. You can get all of your GEs out of the way if you're smart about it. I'm taking some online right now and I've literally just fucked around in one and haven't done any of the readings and I'm in the top of the class for the weekly quiz grades. Not to mention how cheap it is compared to even a UC.

You should honestly just take online classes for 6 months if that's possible, and it'll basically be like not being in school anyways.

Most transfers from cc I know only need a 5th year, and not the entirety of it, and got in in their 3rd year.

It's nice having the first 2 years not in a uni since cc courses are so fucking easy. You can get all of your GEs out of the way if you're smart about it. I'm taking some online right now and I've literally just fucked around in one and haven't done any of the readings and I'm in the top of the class for the weekly quiz grades. Not to mention how cheap it is compared to even a UC.

You should honestly just take online classes for 6 months if that's possible, and it'll basically be like not being in school anyways.

Except there is value in the experiences, in being surrounded by intelligent and energetic people of your own age. You make friends and network, for life, you develop your own ideas and learn not only from the professor but from other students, and you take part in campus life.

I started diplo from the library of the community college I was attending. That's all that needs to be said on the topic.

We all make mistakes in our youth

What do you plan to do in that time if you are not attending college, and why?

Well, if you want a cheaper tuition and adequate education then yes. But if you want to really know more of a major that you want to get into, I would say that you would get a better chance with a university or a state college or a college that is equivalent to other than community college. But, you'll have to pay a lot of tuition for that though so you might need to choose wisely and get financial aid with scholarships.

Idk what you guys are smoking, but your first two years are generally just GEs and pre-reqs anyways, most of which don't really matter for how you're taught it.

Yeah which is why why he wants to take a gap semester is important. Is it to make some money? To gain experience in a job? To do something personal like backpacking Europe or something? Or just to sit around and play video games? If he doesn't have to work, then with a GE load he should still have loads of free time to continue his work at Hive and elsewhere.

I dunno how it works where you all live, but down here you're a fool if you don't start off in community college. If you have an associates degree you can transfer into any public university immediately and a growing number of bachelor's degrees can be completed at community colleges.

@StoPCampinGn00b The best advice I can give you is to continue going to community college. Go to one that will ensure your credits are transferable. A big mistake I made when I went to CC is that I picked my program and only took those courses. The only classes you want to take in community college are Gen Ed core courses, for a few reasons: Gen Ed core is what you need to graduate outside of courses in your major. A lot of times these can be a pain in the butt in terms of difficulty and engagement, feel like a waste of time and overall, not a rewarding experience. This is why you should focus on taking these courses AND ONLY these courses in community college. Not only will you be able to save your time and money on courses you actually care about at a 4 year university that will go towards whatever career you choose, but the gen ed courses at community college are significantly easier to finish before you transfer to a 4 year institution. In tandem with gen ed, you want to find out what the most difficult pre-requisite courses are for your program and finish them in a community college that will transfer the credits. I had so many friends who finished Calc II in community college who would've failed as I did when I took it at a 4 year institution. You have to remember, pre-requisite courses are where programs shed their fat and the weakest links typically fall off before the more challenging courses. Most of the time, these courses are made unnecessarily difficult in a way where those who took the pre-reqs at community college were just as successful as those who passed the pre-req at the 4 year. Best of luck. I strongly recommend going to community college with the above in mind. If you don't want to take the above in mind, save your time and money and just don't go.
  • Like 1

why not just go immediately to university

or go to a country that has free university

saves up allot of useless time

why not just go immediately to university

or go to a country that has free university

saves up allot of useless time

That's one of the reasons I went to Norway after all

Well I decided to go in late August. I'm following a set plan that shows what classes & credits you need to transfer to a Cal State without an Associates degree. I'll keep in mind everyone's advice, especially @ABDeL and maybe even Pona's because he's Pona. And yeah, California Community colleges are bit different since they prioritize transfers a lot more than other states. Allegedly one I'm going to is top 5 in the state, which of course isn't saying much since it's CC, but still something. The rate of transfers seems decent to me.
  • Like 1

[quote name='StoPCampinGn00b']Well I decided to go in late August. I'm following a set plan that shows what classes & credits you need to transfer to a Cal State without an Associates degree. I'll keep in mind everyone's advice, especially @ABDeL and maybe even Pona's because he's Pona. And yeah, California Community colleges are bit different since they prioritize transfers a lot more than other states. Allegedly one I'm going to is top 5 in the state, which of course isn't saying much since it's CC, but still something. The rate of transfers seems decent to me.[/QUOTE] Keep us updated, as Diploers our primary goal is to take credit for other's success.
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this