DIPLONEWS
  • Don't miss DGL at 8PM EST rotating Saturdays and Sundays.
  • Diplo is getting an Ark server contact Duck for more information.
  • Want to play Dungeons and Dragons? Join D^3 to play now!
  • Want to watch movies with Diplo? Contact BaneBladeLuv for more info on movie night!
BronzeKnee

Item Revamp and Ideas

I think it is time for another item revamp. I am curious to what everyone thinks of the item shop reorganization and it obviously leaves a lot of the item shops looking empty and I'd like to fill them up. I'd also like to revamp some of the existing items.

I don't like how armor reduction is currently done in the game. Right now, you are pretty much forced to buy a Corrupted Edge, which is a good item, but very expensive and it limits heroes from experimenting with other damage items. I'd like to spread out armor reduction among multiple items and change the way it works from a set amount to a percentage. So the Corrupted Edge might give +30 damage and reduce enemy hero armor by 40% but cost much less. Mainly, you'd buy it to counter armor stacking. The Mace will reduce armor by 10% and the Skull Blade 20%. These values would not stack.

I'd like to add two uniques, a strength and an agility item that both give 25% armor reduction as well as some other new items. And because each rare currently builds into at least two uniques, so I'd like some help in thinking up a new rare item to build into those agility and strength items that would give armor reduction.

Let me know what you guys think. Also for any other new item ideas, please come up with the whole set (rare + 2 uniques).

I love the idea of introducing more armor reduction items. Conversely, here's some items that give armor buffs:

Tower Shield (Rare) - Increases all stats by 8, and grants +1 armor to nearby units.

Made from Medallion of Courage (1000 ip), Wooden Shield (500 ip) and (275 ip) for a total of 1775 IP.

Elementium Reinforced Bulwark (Unique) - +20 strength, +2 armor aura and when used grants +5 armor to nearby units for 12 seconds.

Made from Tower Shield (1775 ip), Belt of Giants (650 ip), and (730 ip), for a total of 3155 IP.

Gozlock's Hypertech Buckler (Unique) - +20 intelligence, +80% mana regeneration, +4 armor, and when used grants the target +8 armor for 8 seconds.

Made from Tower Shield (1775 ip), Robe of the Magi (650 ip), and 730 ip), for 3155 ip total.

• Like 4

^nice I was also going to suggest some sort of passive or active armor aura type item.

ARMOR REDUCTION

For armor reduction it would be cool to have 2 types, A) reduce a fixed amount vs B) reduce by %. Not sure if the 2 should be stackable.

For the AGI armor reduction item make it reduce more armor for each attack on the target. E.g. stacks up to 5 times or something

Make the % based armor reduction item only work on heroes but the fixed armor reduction item also work on units. If the 2 types don't stack then it forces the player to choose which role to build their hero into (unit shredder vs hero hunter)

THUNDERFURY SPLIT

I always thought the purge and the chain lightning could be separated into 2 different uniques: an AGI item that procs chain lightning vs a straight dmg item that applies the passive purge. The new rare would be a weak version of chain lightning e.g. proc for 100 dmg and bounces to 3 targets

BLACK ARROW ITEM

This would be a horde-only item, applies a debuff and when target dies it spawns a unit - lesser demon? (maybe limit the max number of minions to 8 or 10). Could build from rare item Rod of Necromancy

TRUE STRIKE AGI

Right now the Owlsight Rifle (mainly gives dmg) and the boots gives true sight. Add a AGI unique giving true strike. Can build from repeater crossbow as the rare item or something else.

MISS CHANCE item

Add an item that applies miss chance debuff. This would make true strike more important. This could be a predominantly dmg giving item

EVASION AGI

Always thought something was missing that there wasn't a unique AGI item that gave evasion

AEGIS GLOVES

Increase length of silence so it's more effective vs caster heroes, instead of being only to interrupt channeling spells. Also make it last twice as long on units

VENOMSTRIKE SPLIT

Could potentially be split into 2 uniques that separately reduce attack and movement speed

NERF HP ITEMS SLIGHTLY

Nerf straight hp giving items like Azune, Arcane Wonder, etc by a little bit

Voodoo Doll (Rare Accessory) - Increases attack speed by 15% and mana regeneration by 60%.

Made from Star Wand (325), Enchanted Skull (600), and 275 IP, for a total of 1200 IP

Warlord's Hunting Spear (Unique Strength) - +16 Strength, +20% attack speed, and reduces enemy armor by 25%.

Made from Voodoo Doll (1200 IP), War Axe (1000 IP), Claws of Attack (325) and 730 IP, for a total of 3255 IP

Dazzling Mithril Rapier (Unique Agility) - +15 agility, +25 damage, and reduces enemy armor by 25%.

Made from Voodoo Doll (1200 IP), Halberd (900 IP), Scimitar (775 IP), and 730 IP, for a total of 3605 IP.

Admiral's Spyglass (Unique Accessory) - Increases all stats by 10, mana regeneration by 80%, damage by 18, allows the user to view distant lands, and increases sight range.

Made from Crystal Ball (1525 IP), Scimitar (775 IP), and 730 IP, for a total of 3030 IP.

• Like 2

Why dont we introduce armor penetration to COTH?

Right now we only have CE which is our counter to hugenormous armor and HP.

I suggest this: nerf CE and make it a little bit cheaper (+50 AD, +10 armor reduction), create couple of armor penetration items (i'm not sure if they would be % or flat)

If both manage somehow to exist in game make %AP stackable and grants medium amount of AD (like Black Cleaver from LoL, on hit effect) and make it expensive.Flat AP would be good counter to early armor and HP rushes but in late game would be better if you sell it for more powerful items (lets say +20 AD, +8 AP, cost 2500-2700).It would be better if flat AP is in mostly rare items and the costs are similar to each other

New item (Missing name)

gives +12 to all stats +20 AD

unique active- you actively gain mana for 10 sec (scaling with % maximum mana)

unique passive- each unit killed with ability restores 10 mana

build from Mana Blade + Pendant of Mana +Claws of Attack (better you guys decide the price)

Is this to make mages OP?

yes (mostly Faol ;)) but i've seen some mana struggles from both sides even with Arcane Wonder and i think it would be good for heroes that burst up their mana really fast

Mages can chew through mana even if they have 3-4 regen items. In between waves I always drop all items before drinking potions to get max efficiency.

Mages can chew through mana even if they have 3-4 regen items. In between waves I always drop all items before drinking potions to get max efficiency.

that's you, what about the other players?

also this would help tanks too- when they get their mana burned, they are basically useless (Alliance mostly)

Maybe an armor shredding item, -1 armor per hit or something? I see some complaints about tanky heroes on both sides. Don't think there's a problem personally, just played a game with a 70+ armor Danath and we were still able to kill him. Eventually.

I'd like to see more defensive items, like an anti-magic shield item active (just shield, no stun immunity), or a disarm active . I also feel that wisdom carver is pretty weak right now.

Edit: Implementing aghanim's scepter would be fantastic and could solve some late game scaling problems on certain heroes without resorting to % abilities. Teron for example could get an upgrade for his life drain ability, maybe having it able to hit multiple targets simultaneously or being able to move while casting it.

^that 70 armor Danath was basically ignored until we killed every other unit and hero in the base. Horde had to run past him

Nigh unkillable

Someone had a Corrupted Edge to counter his armor... right?

Sorry I can't watch replays at the moment.

Someone had a Corrupted Edge to counter his armor... right?

Sorry I can't watch replays at the moment.

Wasn't rich enough only had 3-4 uniques on Tich at that point. But if I focused on Danath then all the mage heroes and ranged units would have blown me to smithereens. So I just walked past Danath and killed everything behind him.

• Like 1

Just played a game where I bought talisman of the wild and I was super underwhelmed by the spirit bear. Paying 2930 IP for crappy stats and the ability to summon a slightly stronger ogre is pretty lame. It's actually squishier than a knight against blade and pierce, although it has decent tankiness against magic, and the chance to do 75 bonus damage doesn't seem very relevant for alliance. I definitely think this item needs a buff, at the very least give the bear some more armor and HP.

• Like 1

Just played a game where I bought talisman of the wild and I was super underwhelmed by the spirit bear. Paying 2930 IP for crappy stats and the ability to summon a slightly stronger ogre is pretty lame. It's actually squishier than a knight against blade and pierce, although it has decent tankiness against magic, and the chance to do 75 bonus damage doesn't seem very relevant for alliance. I definitely think this item needs a buff, at the very least give the bear some more armor and HP.

This item not that bad but yes, need some buff.

Maybe replace this 75 bonus damage with bash or maybe with active ability like entangling roots or stun or slow (with low or even without damage ofcourse). Maybe add to bear some armor based on hero armor (additional or main? armor).

By the way, orcish urn needs some buff too. Not sure how to balance this one, because last time I used it on Cho'Gall in some old version.

Maybe add some stats to both minions based on hero level (for each 5 lvl some magic resist armor and damage for example).

• Like 1

Those 2 items are both absolutely shit. So many superior INT items

Chain Lightning, Cyclone, Wayward, Death Magic, Invulnerable, Journeys end... won't even get a chance to buy bear/urn

• Like 1

I agree with Synegg, those items are not worth the ip in my opinion and there are better items.

a little buff to these items wont damage the game but still, there are more useful items

• Like 1

A portable knight is pretty useful for base defense, people always TP in with range units or casters and leave gaps in the unit wall. I like getting it on antonidas to go with water elemental + JE for mass summons. It's much less useful on the horde though, and the stats should definitely be buffed.

• Like 4

A portable knight is pretty useful for base defense, people always TP in with range units or casters and leave gaps in the unit wall. I like getting it on antonidas to go with water elemental + JE for mass summons. It's much less useful on the horde though, and the stats should definitely be buffed.

I'll remember that move :D

I would consider buying it if it had more special characteristics e.g. alliance unit had fortified armor and horde unit had a ranged chaos attack

Because let's face it the alliance version is for tanking and the horde version is to help deal damage

Also they need better abilities, ideally 1 passive aura thing and 1 active e.g. get a rejuv on alliance and an active buff spell for horde unit

For 245 more IP, you can buy starlight treads. Now you can bring your casters and knights at the same time, plus it saves you IP in the long run.

So I did have a similar thought when I bought this as it seemed good in theory if you're defending your own base and you're running low on gold in the early game. The problem the bear is about equivalent to a single knight with higher dps, and a single knight does not have much impact. When I buy a 3k IP item, especially one with an active, I want to be able to see and feel the impact of the item. If you look at other unique units like sunwell guardian, dalaran's golem, antonidas' water elementals, these units have a tangible impact. When I summoned the bear, it hit a grunt a few times and then it died really quickly.

I'd like to see this item become good enough where players that are attacked in the early game (blue, red, green) can hoose between a standard first item like lightning staff or talisman of the wild because the bear will be better in the short term to defend their throne.

• Like 3

Soul Shard: +20 int, +20 damage, saps 60 mana per second over 5 seconds. Built from Manablade, Mage Staff, Star Wand, 730 IP (3025)

Because its a confrontational item, I based the stats on lightning stave rather than giving it mana regen (which the use-ability already does), and made it steal the same amount of mana (300) but twice as fast.

• Like 3