Sign in to follow this  
nodle

The too many genders thread/discussion

Hey guess i'm just retarded then [IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/KYNywoibU1PQ4/giphy.gif[/IMG] @EagleMan Not just danish, it's the same for lots of languages. Its just to show how it's actually always been the same. It's an entirely new thing(relatively) that those two have different meanings in English.

It's just that the distinction between sex and gender is pretty useful, especially when identifying traits that are due to biology, culture, or a mix of the two.

Some biological traits: men are taller, stronger, and more aggressive than women. A woman can be all 3 of those things, but men are naturally taller, stronger and more aggressive than women in all cultures.

Cultural trait: Men wear tuxedos and women wear dresses.

Mixed trait: In most cultures men keep their hair short and the women keep it long.

As I said, there have been cultures in the past and present that have had multiple genders, such as in Native American cultures which you can read briefly about here, with the role being known as "berdache" or "two-spirit". So the concept of additional genders beyond the standard 2 is easily a centuries old concept that far predates any modern social activism.

When a fellow guard brought up the issue of how to deal with trannies at work who want to use a female bathroom despite obviously being biologically male, the example was brought up of a situation where one of us got in trouble because he asked the transgender person to use the male bathroom. It wasn't the fact that he asked him/her to use the male bathroom that offended the tranny, it was the fact that the guard said "Excuse me, Sir." And someone else said they didn't understand what the big deal was, so the Auckland regional manager started saying "Really, darling?" "What do you find difficult to understand, sweetheart?" If people don't want to be called a certain thing it's a matter of mutual respect that you just use a different word.

When a fellow guard brought up the issue of how to deal with trannies at work who want to use a female bathroom despite obviously being biologically male, the example was brought up of a situation where one of us got in trouble because he asked the transgender person to use the male bathroom. It wasn't the fact that he asked him/her to use the male bathroom that offended the tranny, it was the fact that the guard said "Excuse me, Sir." And someone else said they didn't understand what the big deal was, so the Auckland regional manager started saying "Really, darling?" "What do you find difficult to understand, sweetheart?" If people don't want to be called a certain thing it's a matter of mutual respect that you just use a different word.

Unless they're being a dick.

Not just danish, it's the same for lots of languages. Its just to show how it's actually always been the same. It's an entirely new thing(relatively) that those two have different meanings in English.

What? Every single latin language has had this differentiation since the time of late rome at best guess. Hence the words Gendre and Sexe in french, and the similar words in latin.

The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory dates the distinction at 30,000 years ago for a concept.

I can't rightly know for certain, but I'd wager that Steak is not fluent in any Latin language, but only Germanic ones. Not that I'm really aware of Germanic languages outside of English, but based off Steaks remarks, I'm guessing that German, Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian all lack words for the distinction. Either way, it's entirely a cutlural thing; some cultures embraced effeminate males and recognized masculine females and realized that there needed to be a distinction early on; other cultures were far less tolerant and repressed those behaviors and therefore did not require terminology for the distinction.

[quote name='The_Phalanx']I can't rightly know for certain, but I'd wager that Steak is not fluent in any Latin language, but only Germanic ones. Not that I'm really aware of Germanic languages outside of English, but based off Steaks remarks, I'm guessing that German, Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian all lack words for the distinction. Either way, it's entirely a cutlural thing; some cultures embraced effeminate males and recognized masculine females and realized that there needed to be a distinction early on; other cultures were far less tolerant and repressed those behaviors and therefore did not require terminology for the distinction.[/QUOTE] In Russian they're all called пидор (pidor). Does that count as a third gender? @ponasozis help me out here.

German has a word for sexuality and a word for gender, though.

Well, it was a shot in the dark. I think my overall hypothesis is correct, but I only know languages that have words for both. Steak's Danish is the first language that I know of that only has one word. Checking the German words, I'm seeing Geschlecht for Sex and Gender and then just Sex for Sex, so I think its likely that German is using Sex as a loan word and that normally it would be like Danish in which Geschlecht means both.

Checking the German words, I'm seeing Geschlecht for Sex and Gender and then just Sex for Sex, so I think its likely that German is using Sex as a loan word and that normally it would be like Danish in which Geschlecht means both.

In Yiddish געשלעכט (geshlekht) would equate to the English "sex" while one could use either מין (min) or דזשענדער (dzhender) to mean "gender". מין is word of Hebrew origin while דזשענדער is an assimilated borrowing of "gender" so I'd say that your theory (that the Germanic languages lack the distinction) holds water.

We have one word in arabic and there is two words in french , i barely memorise people name so i really don't feel like memorising how a person want to be refered to.

German has a word for sexuality and a word for gender, though.

Well, it was a shot in the dark. I think my overall hypothesis is correct, but I only know languages that have words for both. Steak's Danish is the first language that I know of that only has one word. Checking the German words, I'm seeing Geschlecht for Sex and Gender and then just Sex for Sex, so I think its likely that German is using Sex as a loan word and that normally it would be like Danish in which Geschlecht means both.

"Geschlecht" is the only word we use for both sex and gender. In the case where you translate sex with sex the meaning of it is sexual intercourse. Funny sidenot: The literal translation for sexual intercourse is "gendertraffic" in German.

Also Fergus, sexuality doesn't equal sex. That's why we only have one word for gender and sex.

[quote name='Feanor']In Russian they're all called пидор (pidor). Does that count as a third gender? @ponasozis help me out here.[/QUOTE] nah thats just a russian combo word for gay and faggot in one word pretty awesome isn t it

nah thats just a russian combo word for gay and faggot in one word

pretty awesome

isn t it

I thought at least you would get the joke...

I don't know how recent the danish word "Kønsrolle" but I'd say it's the closest match with gender.

(rolle = role)

I've been classmates with a girl who identified as a male. For me it's more of an accidental thing when I misused pronouns but we weren't really close and it wasn't on purpose.

Anyways this is kind of a non-issue, much like my country spending upwards of a million on bus policies because 40ish people with burkas, niqabs etc made it difficult to identify for bus fares. <.<

Now that we made it clear about the geneder/sex definition, can we get to the next point and think how to deal with it.

Should we treat this multi gender thing as common BS or something more serious?

Now that we made it clear about the geneder/sex definition, can we get to the next point and think how to deal with it.

Just accept the way you were born, you cannot change it. You will always be a ladyboy or shemale.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. As common BS, do you mean something that should be ignored or ridiculed? By more serious, do you mean more openly accepted, or do you mean to push for more treatments to help these people have their gender match their sex?

But they forced political correctness on us! Now with Trump we don't have to be political correct anymore.

I am curious, did that ever happen to anyone on Diplo? Like someone being an asshole about the whole pronoun thing? Personally I only met one person and it was known she likes to be refered as a female.

"Everybody has rights and freedoms... but think about the children!"

I think you missed the point. If all the men want to be women and all the women want to be men, who will make the babies? I've seen multiple instances of parents deciding for their children what gender they should be, and I cant help but think of it as anything other than taking advantage of a human being in their most vulnerable state. Shits fucked. Just like your shitty sense of humor.

That's a retarded argument on several levels. The number of LGBTQ people is tiny, a fraction of a fraction. Our bodies are designed to want to reproduce, its a biological imperative. LGBTQ are by all accounts mutations and abnormalities of that biological imperative, but that doesn't make them any less human. Outside of bisexuals, people don't choose to be LGBTQ.

Sign in to follow this