Sign in to follow this  
nodle

The too many genders thread/discussion

This is getting too far and I need to be sure I am right. So for many of you, you have been aware that people are claiming there are thousands of genders in the world, which is bullshit in my mind.

So yesterday I was having a argument with a coworker where she claimed there was literally thousands of genders in the world, whereas I laughed whole heartedly and told her that scientific consensus has proven with chromosomes there are only two genders, however people nowadays have mental (don't know the right word for this but i used) disorders that makes them feel/think they definely belong in a different gender.

She gave me this stinkface and whipped out her handy phone to look on the internet to prove her point. What she came up with was this.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthoughtswithmadeline.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F11%2F1600-genderbread-person.jpg&f=1

this photo.........

So I came to diplo to have an actual intellectual conversation about this topic about the "thousands of genders" topic.

Personal Opinion: Load of shit, you can't change your biological body.

You can certainly change your body, science and human chemistry has come that far at least

But besides changes to sexual organs and hormonal glands there's still pretty much just two base 'sexes'

Sure you can break them down further into categories and 'types' but at the end of the day it's still just two sexes to choose from and build on.

All this shit movement is is a combo of hormonal imbalances, possibly even neurological abnormalities, a want to be "different", rebellion against traditional gender roles, and a huge heap of autism.

There are indeed two biological "sexes", man and woman, who can not be changed.

"Gender" is simply how you behave yourself as a human being and the role you give to being either male or female.

I agree whole heartly. There are two sexes, but many different genders.

The thing is, nobody gives a fuck about your gender "identity". If you want to wear traditionally female clothes as a man, nobody will stop you from doing so. If you want to use lipstick as a man, go ahead. The problem people have, is that transgenders often people INSISTING on you using the "right" pronoun. Don't force me to call someone who is biologically male "she".

What I agree here with, is that there are people in the extremist feminist base which definitively insist on people using the right pronounce, terms and what not. Luckily they are in the far minority, eventhough the internet makes you believe they are not. Anyway, the only thing I disagree with is that if someone really wants to be female, yet was born male I don't mind using the pronoun "she". I mean it doesn't really bother me using the she pronoun. I guess it always depends on how much male gender is left in this certain person.

• Like 1

I cringe so hard when transtrenders say they have no genital dysphoria aka mental pain. Are you fucking kidding me? It feels a drill in your skull, and that was even before I switched from taking testosterone to taking estrogen.

Also as much as it sucks, people gender what they see. There is no "misgendering", if you want the right pronoun you unfortunately have to work for it - because we are the minority and you guys are the majority.

Nodle you dissapoint me with this post. Diplo is losing presitge for this.

I'm sorry but if you contribute vague shit like this in a discussion I'm afraid Diplo never gave fucks about their prestige towards you anyway.

I'm sorry but if you contribute vague shit like this in a discussion I'm afraid Diplo never gave fucks about their prestige towards you anyway.

Try a bid harder perhaps

Gender is a social construct. There can easily be more than 2 depending on the culture. Many cultures, now and throughout history, have had a third gender for people we today call transgender. Western society is possibly shifting on this. The 1000 gender stuff is pretty unlikely to become a part of our culture, but we may come to universally recognize a third gender. Or we may simply opt to let transgenders wholly identify and be 100% accepted as male/female instead of putting them in a third class.

Sex is biological. Humans have 2 sexes, though there can be outlier cases like XXX, XYY or XXY syndrome but generally they look like normal people - you can present as intersex and have a standard XX or XY chromosome pair. Saying science has "proven" that there are only 2 genders is unequivocally false.

well no

gender is a biological construct not a social

then again there are few species capable of changing gender at will literally oh i wanna become female now and bam he becomes female

what kind of magic is this nature ?

and there are technically few species whos members sometimes have no gender at all

oh oops mate you ain t having any kiddos

transgender people are called X gender as in an undetermined gender

Are people who insist on using neutral or different types of pronouns assholes? Absolutely.

I think at the end of the day this is all that really needs to be said on the matter. Go by "he" or "she", I'll call you whichever you want and had zero issue switching over when one of my friends came out as transgender. However I can understand the need for a gender neutral term and am willing to settle on "they", which has been used as a singular pronoun for centuries but generally only when discussing something in the abstract or when the gender is unknown. Don't just go inventing random words though.

And yes Pona the distinction is pretty much what Phalanx said. The two terms are closely related, but especially for humans, they don't mean the same thing. Sex can be determined scientifically, gender cannot. Gender is how you act - do you act like a man or a woman? How you act is separate from what biological sex you are. And that's why gender is a social construct - culture dictates the appropriate conduct for being manly or womanly, which means that if a culture chooses to do so, they can implement extra genders with their own codes of conduct. Just as well, you could also only have 1 gender if you abolish concepts such as masculinity/femininity and expect all people to behave the same way, do the same jobs, dress the same way and so on.

• Like 1

Why so obsessed with giving a name to people's behaviour? Like dafuq? Every human being on this planet is unique and has its own unique way of behaving. I dont mind. But why would you give names to it, only to see that a few years later there are already new made up terms to substitute the former ones?

• Like 1

Because labels are useful. I'm American. Male. An adult. A Diploer. All useful, informative labels. There's a lot of cultural information in those terms that tell you a lot about me. So if you have someone who looks like a man and acts like one (and might even have surgically altered genitalia) but is called "she", the "she" label stops being useful, and it's probably better to call them "he" or some other term. If I move out of America to Canada and fully embrace Canadian culture and become a citizen, then it's probably more informative to a third party to call me a Canadian rather than an American, even though I was born an American.

• Like 2

I wish folks would actually look into the differences between the terms "sex" and "gender" before beginning the chauvinistic circle-jerking.

• Like 1

If we're looking at gender p much purely as a sexual preference (which is not entirely correct but w.e everyone's doing it RN anyway), then there's not too many genders. They can call themselves what they want, and it has little to no practical bearing on the public sphere. Sex is a much more wonky q.

The gender question is an interesting one. While I don't dismay of people who switch or think they are something in between for issues of freedom, it certainty shouldn't be done to children and propagated on a macro scale because it can become very dangerous. It should be treated like cigarettes are as far as marketing is concerned. All advertisements promoting or showing it as the primary centric piece of the advertisement should never make it on air. Beyond that, who gives two shits. People are free. Let them think they are Zers, Fairies, and cats with human bodies. I'm not gonna not say that they are indeed weak willed people, but attempting to control something like this will just allow the problem to manifest itself somewhere else within their psyche, for better or worse.

Sign in to follow this