Sign in to follow this  
JusticeKing7

How to protect yourself from hackers and security breaches as a noob?

I've been in this forum for a long time, and apparently since 2011. Although I was inactive for the majority of that time, I'm familliar with bot and connection issues caused by DDoS attacks in the warcraft 3 community. Even then, I wasn't entirely accurate on what is the extent of the abilities of those behind these attacks. And I suppose my wall of text would be somewhat beyond the scope and normal concerns of this forum.

Anyway, I'm a computer security noob. I never had a non-pirated copy of anti-virus softwares and I don't claim to be an expert on the subject and my deterrent consist of not clicking suspicious links or downloading suspicious torrents. So about my concern..

Recently, about 3 months or so, I suspect that someone near my vicinity and within my country (since it seem unlikely to be from outside to bother with me at all) have been sabotaging my internet connection and account privacy. I came back to this forum due to it the only familliar medium which I could ask for help regarding computer security issues.

I haven't been entirely sure about the existence of this anomaly in my systems for 2~3 months or so, and I admit to myself that I might be a little paranoid. The thought occured to me from time to time and from time to time I would see some form of evidence supporting my suspicion.

Anyway, I'll try to enumerate these activities that I found suspicious.

One of them is on my account on facebook when I opened the list of IP addresses where my account is logged in: one of these IP address corresponds to a nearby city which I've never travelled to nor pass by in my daily routines. I lowered my suspicion by considering that perhaps there was calibration error in the IP tracker's part, which doesn't makes sense at the same time as why would my account be logged in into that particular browser. Interesting to note is that the location would be coincidentally (or not at all) the same with one of my classmate's home, whom is coincidentally in odd relations with me due to past personal arguments that occured between us.

Another is the time I'm playing Dota 2. During game matches, I would observe that my spike in lag would coincide at the activity time of my particular classmate in my friend list. My internet connection is usually decent, and disconnection rate is pretty low. Still, I'm not entirely sure as correlation might not be related to causation, but I observed a lower rate in my internet speed during the time said classmate is online yet not in a game, and a higher internet speed during the time he is offline or in a game.

Also, I dull my suspicion considering that Philippine internet connection is not esteemed to be fast and plenty of observations to be attributed to several unrelated causes (which I stated), but the totality of these anomalies and some other events I haven't mentioned yet is preventing me from settling my suspicions as mere paranoia.

The present circumstances that I am with, seems to be similar to some application of DDoS attack, security breach, and account hacking. I sincerely ask for help from diplomunion, please..

nuclear solution that will probably work against anyone but a state level actor:

backup all NON-EXECUTABLE critical files that you want to keep (photos, videos, documents and whatever are okay, programs are not).

wipe your computer and reinstall windows.

then change all passwords for all services you use. don't reuse passwords, use a password manager like lastpass or keepass. enable two-factor authentication on important services like email, dropbox and memebook.

EDIT: or just stop using a computer lmao then you wont get h4x0r3d

• Like 1

The interface of your modem/router shows the devices that are connected to your internet connection. If you account for all your own devices (usually it only gives MAC adresses) you can figure out if other people are connected.

There are also options to only allow your devices to have an internet connection whilst blocking the attempts of other people to connect.

Definitely take Nark's advice, if not just to give you peace of mind. Also try to frequently change your passwords.

To satisfy my own curiosity: what anti virus programme do you use?

• Like 1

"LastPass securely remembers your passwords, so you don't have to."

Looks suspicious, but you seem like a well-rounded nice admin person for me to trust.

And thanks, very simple and helpful. I'll try to perform this after I managed to afford a legit antivirus and windows copy.

Edit: Currently, I have a pirated version of AVG as my antivirus, but it didn't managed to prevent my computer from getting worm virus (albeit it might have prevented the virus from fully corrupting the hard disk).

I'm using a telpad right now to access the internet since all two of my keyboards somehow broke. It might take a while for me to reply.