Sign in to follow this  
Thurr

Russkaya eda

Since there was a mild interest in the types of food I tried while I'm here in Moscow, I thought of making a thread to inform you all of my latest explorations in the Russian cuisine. Today was a big day in the capital and looking at the average belly size of the Russian male: a full day means a lot of food. Lunch included pancakes with salmon and grenky s chesnokom, which is brown fried bread with garlic. I do believe that Dutch bread is better, but this was quite tasty. We went to Mymy and ate lapsha (chicken soup), myasnoy (Russian salad), zhrary (Russian cutlets with egg inside), kartoshka po-derewensky (oven baked potatoes), squid salad, kotleta po-zharski (chicken with big breadcrumbs), mashed potatoes and pirozhki s kapustoi (baked buns filled with cowl). Complementary we had zhiguli (beer) and mors. The zhrary was quite nice and I like the rich Russian salads. Pirozhki was fun to eat; I'd definitely be up for different flavours. I tried a sip of the mors, but it was too sweet for my taste it almost tasted like lemonade. My day ended with salad olivier and Russian sosiski. If this goes on I'll grow a real Russian belly before the week is over. Tomorrow I'll be trying some more exciting food. Unfortunately I can't add any pictures thanks to the horrible Internet. @Feanor, @ponasozis

if mors tasted too sweet for you it means its not real mors

Mors is basically a drink made from different kind of berries

it actually should be just a little bit sweet or even sour depending on which types of berries nowhere near as lemonade and it should feel not watery

instead what you might have been given is kompot which is most of the times really sweet

as a friendly suggestion i would recommend staying away anything concerning cabbages lets just say eating other then your friends cabbages might result in a llot of puking

speaking from personal experience

russians have a tendency to wash expired pickled cabbages so they don t smell and serve as food

oh and another personall one of my favorites from slavic kitchen is kievan kotlet if its properly made its one of greatest things in the world

More pirozhki was tried today, in a variety of flavours; meat, potatoes, apple. This to ready ourselves for the amazing tretyakov gallery - an absolute must see if you are ever in Moscow.

The gallery is packed with art from amazing Russian artists. Worth mentioning are my two personal artists of today: Perov (Russian life paintings) and Savrasov (landscapes). Other artists shown there are Vastnetsov (Russia and bears!), Vrubel (Symbolisme), and many, many more.

With a satisfied mind we continued our culinair trip by eating Rabbit Pelmeni and Buzhenina (roasted pork pancakes, with spinach). Afterwards we ate Syrniki with fresh berries, strawberry jam, and sour cream.

A note has to be made that coffee is really expensive. You pay the same amount of money as in the Netherlands, but often get much lower quality. No good.

After a nice day in one of the many parks we tried some raki (small lobsters). The park had a lot of food stands with actually really great food. At a beerstand I picked tajezhnoe pivo: definitely the best beer (stout) I had so far. It even has a brown bear on the tap, what more could you ask from life?

Shashlik s bargaining (lamb) is what. Grilled in front of us, with baked bread also freshly prepared right there in the park. Absolutely delicious. All washed away with an okay pilsener beer from a local brewery. That shashlik, though, I want more.

Tomorrow is my last day in the big city after which I'll be heading into the country for hopefully even more real Russian food.

• Like 2

once you eat Shashlik

you tell the rest of barbeque to go fuck itself

Shashlik is life Shaslik is love

A propa Shashlik is pickled using carbon mineral water and lots of onions

Thats how serious we take Shashlik in eastern europe we use fucking mineral water to prepare it

• Like 1

once you eat Shashlik

you tell the rest of barbeque to go fuck itself

Shashlik is life Shaslik is love

A propa Shashlik is pickled using carbon mineral water and lots of onions

Thats how serious we take Shashlik in eastern europe we use fucking mineral water to prepare it

Onions. Mmm. Yes. Marinate the meat. Шашлык is like the meat of life.