Sign in to follow this  
Inferous

Monitors

So my PC monitor up and died on my yesterday (it fizzled for a couple of hours before the colours started flickering and it got really hot, then it stopped displaying anything) and I need a new one.

I've been looking at a couple but the prices are so vastly different depending on what sort of monitor they are I'm really not sure what to get.

I've been looking at this one as a high-end gaming monitor which can do everything, works with my current GPU and seems pretty great all round:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

This one is similar but it's TN instead of IPS and it's somewhat smaller, but it's a whole lot cheaper:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116782

This one doesn't have the GPU syncing technology or IPS but it's a good 24-inch screen

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014384

This is similar to the one above but it's about $100 cheaper and has less features and apparently less blur reduction

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025009

If price were not an issue I'd probably be getting the first one I listed, I figure this is something I'll be staring at for many hours a day for the next ~5 years of my life so it should probably be decent. Otherwise I'll probably get the second or last ones, because ~$800 (in AUD) on a monitor seems pretty indulgent to me even if it's worth it.

So if anyone knows about monitors or would like to recommend a monitor, I'd appreciate the input.

I have the fourth one you mentioned. Can recommend it, though it has no monitor speakers and I got it only because I could get it for around 140€ only.

I assume you have an AMD GPU, which one if I may ask? Also do you care more about high framerate or resolution? While higher resolution looks amazing, it's still future music to my ears. It's above the standard so it only makes sense to get one if you really want to spend more than you should. As you mentioned already in your post, getting the first one is a costly business. And personally I think 27" is way too big. Only my opinion though.

Now about IPS.

While it's better to have an IPS monitor, I never felt really amazed by it and TN monitors cost less, so I went with it. They also use more energy and since you're no American you may even care about that. Only marginal though. But don't get me wrong, if I had the money I'd go for an IPS monitor aswell.

The second monitors brand I have never heard of so it might be bad.

The Benq one, uhm, I don't see why it's so special. Maybe it's the overall picture quality? Need to see to judge.

1st: If you have that much money

2nd: If you like it cheap and a matching monitor.

3rd: If you like quality but not much else.

4th: Cheap and good.

I have a 2GB HD7850, at this point it's 4 years old but I figure it'll run anything I need it to for a while yet, and if I get a monitor with the AMD syncing I'll probably just get another AMD card when I upgrade.

27 inches is pretty big, I think mine was 21 so it'd be a fair bit larger. I could go either 24 or 27 I suppose.

The first one is really good even despite the price, but yeah it's somewhat hard to justify to myself. It's not that I don't have the money it would just be a lot to drop on a monitor. Buying a top of the line GPU would cost less.

I have a 2GB HD7850, at this point it's 4 years old but I figure it'll run anything I need it to for a while yet, and if I get a monitor with the AMD syncing I'll probably just get another AMD card when I upgrade.

27 inches is pretty big, I think mine was 21 so it'd be a fair bit larger. I could go either 24 or 27 I suppose.

The first one is really good even despite the price, but yeah it's somewhat hard to justify to myself. It's not that I don't have the money it would just be a lot to drop on a monitor. Buying a top of the line GPU would cost less.

Your GPU is not powerful enough to handle the first monitors high resolution I fear. At least not for modern games.

Your GPU is not powerful enough to handle the first monitors high resolution I fear. At least not for modern games.

Possibly, I haven't looked into overclocking it but I might need to if I get a large monitor. It might also just get me to finally upgrade my GPU.

I have to say though, I'm not super sure whether I really need a >60Hz screen. Or how much better IPS is than TN. I don't think I need both, higher framerate is better for gaming but IPS gives better colours. Or I could get two basic 1080p screens. Man, idk.

Possibly, I haven't looked into overclocking it but I might need to if I get a large monitor. It might also just get me to finally upgrade my GPU.

I have to say though, I'm not super sure whether I really need a >60Hz screen. Or how much better IPS is than TN. I don't think I need both, higher framerate is better for gaming but IPS gives better colours. Or I could get two basic 1080p screens. Man, idk.

Higherframerate looks always better. Would always choose higher Hz over other things.

I remember reading about IPS vs TN a year or two ago when I was buying a new monitor, if I recall correctly TN monitors have better response times/are faster but I think the picture is not as clear or something, the viewing angle is more limited or something along those lines. IPS on the other hand are supposed to have clearer pictures but are slower and I think they're more tasking on the eyes or something, I'll see if I can dig up the thread I used.

EDIT: Apparently it's the first thing you get when you search for it.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1722395/ips-gaming.html

Going to look at monitors in a store tomorrow, I guess I'll decide whether IPS or 144 Hz is more important to me and then base my decision off that. The sooner I buy one, the sooner I can stop using this goddamn 4:3 monitor.

So I went and had a look at some stores yesterday, none of them really had much selection beyond some pretty basic models. I still haven't decided whether 144 Hz or IPS is more important but I think I'm leaning 144 Hz on a decent enough monitor that'll have good colour accuracy.

So I went and had a look at some stores yesterday, none of them really had much selection beyond some pretty basic models. I still haven't decided whether 144 Hz or IPS is more important but I think I'm leaning 144 Hz on a decent enough monitor that'll have good colour accuracy.

Don't know how smooth gaming will be on a 144 Hz when you're on a 7850, personally I'd just go with a 60 Hz unless you're planning on getting a new GPU in the next year or so, seems like a waste to get that monitor when the card won't be able to handle it when it comes to games.

Just noticed this thread, but I'd get a new GPU if you're intending on going 1440p or 144hz. I have your 4th option, the LG one and I love it.

I know it's been a while but I did end up going with the second one that I linked, the Viewsonic XG2401 144Hz TN monitor. There was another I was looking at, the Nixeus NX-VUE24a, but I couldn't find a seller carrying it in Australia.

Edit - Okay well scratch that, apparently I still can only get it shipped from the U.S. and i don't want to play $100 in shipping.

I recently bought a new monitor, 60Hz and I decided to go with IPS, they just look better and have a better viewing angle, I honestly don't see a reason to go with a TN monitor now that I've actually compared them for myself, IPS image quality is far better. I mean if you really want 144Hz then I guess go for it but I'd try and see if I can find an IPS with at least 5ms response that's 144Hz in that case. To put it simply, IPS all the way, but if you think you're going to regret not getting 144Hz then get it.

Okay so I caved and got the Viewsonic XG2401, I couldn't find anything else I wanted.

zJ5NBCg.jpg

It was a big box.

ANPmhU0.jpg

There was another, slightly smaller box inside.

7ASDZbC.jpg

Would you look at that.

W5cprPu.jpg

I guess it got banged around a bit because the styrofoam packaging was all over the place.

fC5XQxM.jpg

It got everywhere.

LJmdnUg.jpg

It's in a bag?!

lo5sr9i.jpg

They got me a sideways one!?!?!?

------------------

Anyway, it's pretty good. I had to adjust the colours and brightness levels a little bit out of the box but it's a real nice screen.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this