DIPLONEWS
  • Don't miss DGL at 8PM EST rotating Saturdays and Sundays.
  • Diplo is getting an Ark server contact Duck for more information.
  • Want to play Dungeons and Dragons? Join D^3 to play now!
  • Want to watch movies with Diplo? Contact BaneBladeLuv for more info on movie night!
Ser_Fergus

Let's Help Fergus Work on his Army

This is a thread I am creating for my own selfish uses. I am creating a WH40K Imperial Guard army, combining a multitude of third party models, my own hackjobs with the hopefully soon to arrive imperial guard astra militarum codex.

So, I'll eventually be posting my finished and wips as pictures, an army list and maybe some fluff.

THE PREMISE: A praetorian guard army focused heavily on firm battle lines lead by the Angel of Verdun herself:

rita_vrataski2_by_cyberaeon-d92z9pf.jpg

200.gif

I'm planning a big Victoria Miniatures order to ensure my guard have a good chromosome balance. To make the angel, I'm going to take a few shots at her, but the basis will be an exo-suited female IG model wielding a deffcopta blade, or something else with a helicopter like blade. Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

• Like 3

Wat-Gif-07.gif

Your kind aren't welcome in TG.

But seriously I forgot we had this section.

Any sort of theme or "vibe" you're going for with your vehicles? Or will there even be any?

Avoiding vehicles below 500. The army is the praetorians, I had a thought to use ironclad looking conversions on leman russes? IDK.

Avoiding vehicles below 500. The army is the praetorians, I had a thought to use ironclad looking conversions on leman russes? IDK.

I'm not sure how much effort you are planning to put into conversion, but if you want an affordable, solid base for Leman Russes I'd recommenced InAir models. I myself have used their 1:32 M4A3 Sherman and M3 Lee as various Imperial Guard vehicles. With some thoughtful plasticard use and a fresh coat of paint they make practical and visually appealing counts-as models.

The standard armaments can be removed with just a screwdriver, so it doesn't take much to upgun them to Imperial arms.

[ATTACH=full]4764[/ATTACH]

And with a little work you're pretty much already ready to go.

[ATTACH=full]4765[/ATTACH]

These pictures are from a number of years ago and I don't seem to have any of the final product, but you get the idea. It looked pretty snazzy once I actually finished painting it.

• Like 1

Only because we live so close Fergus, but I have scraps of dark eldar and a whole case for warhammer models if you want it, I'm just trying to get rid off the stuff.

Later today I'm poking around a couple model shops to look for bits to victorianize standard IG vehicles and make the HQ choices exo suit. I might post pics if I manage to start anything today.

I'm not sure how much effort you are planning to put into conversion, but if you want an affordable, solid base for Leman Russes I'd recommenced InAir models. I myself have used their 1:32 M4A3 Sherman and M3 Lee as various Imperial Guard vehicles. With some thoughtful plasticard use and a fresh coat of paint they make practical and visually appealing counts-as models.

The standard armaments can be removed with just a screwdriver, so it doesn't take much to upgun them to Imperial arms.

[ATTACH=full]4764[/ATTACH]

And with a little work you're pretty much already ready to go.

[ATTACH=full]4765[/ATTACH]

These pictures are from a number of years ago and I don't seem to have any of the final product, but you get the idea. It looked pretty snazzy once I actually finished painting it.

Oh, I do like the look of the M3. Might consider ordering one and seeing if I can't make it look a little more 1910. Kinda wish they did a British range.

Only because we live so close Fergus, but I have scraps of dark eldar and a whole case for warhammer models if you want it, I'm just trying to get rid off the stuff.

How much? I'd totally be down.

Oh, I do like the look of the M3. Might consider ordering one and seeing if I can't make it look a little more 1910. Kinda wish they did a British range.

If it is any consolation the British had their own variants of the M3 Lee that they designated "M3 Grant", so it doesn't stray too particularly far from the British theme.

4c77608606450f898fd9a4a35a6bdd30.jpg

• Like 1

If it is any consolation the British had their own variants of the M3 Lee that they designated "M3 Grant", so it doesn't stray too particularly far from the British theme.

4c77608606450f898fd9a4a35a6bdd30.jpg

Yeah, the hellhounds original design is designed on a commonwealth variant of the lee called the ram tank, which they strapped a flamethrower too, if memory serves. I believe they used a not insignificant number of shermans as well?

But this is the level of stupid looking-ness that I associate with pith helmets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_I_(tank)

Very little progress yet, but picked up the modeling tools and a 6$ gundam for conversion bits.

[ATTACH=full]4769[/ATTACH]

Also: Was given the new mechanicus castellan bots. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. Allies maybe?[ATTACH=full]4770[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

I see your serenity comic :p

Hey man, it's a classic.

As for the thread, I ordered one of the shermans because they were half price, and who knows how long till minis from aus get here. I'll be posting more of my shite paint jobs (Half done with dollar store paints, no less!) in the meantime.

Any suggestions for scaled and cheap bren carriers would be lovingly appreciated.

EDIT: No I didn't, apparently doesn't ship to Canada

Tiny update before I go to bed. Picked the colour scheme for the army (Red and Khaki). First work on the one kastelan I have built (Bonus points: Guess what the only four colours I currently have are):[ATTACH=full]4794[/ATTACH]

Also, decided on a small detachment of afrikaaner types so I can use this model I've just finished up:

[ATTACH=full]4793[/ATTACH]

Don't tread on the bear! Anyway, not sure how to make afrikaaners, but I'll figure it out.

Tiny update before I go to bed. Picked the colour scheme for the army (Red and Khaki). First work on the one kastelan I have built (Bonus points: Guess what the only four colours I currently have are):[ATTACH=full]4794[/ATTACH]

Also, decided on a small detachment of afrikaaner types so I can use this model I've just finished up:

[ATTACH=full]4793[/ATTACH]

Don't tread on the bear! Anyway, not sure how to make afrikaaners, but I'll figure it out.

Why didn't you dry brush the mechanical parts? Also, what did you spray paint them as their base color?

Why didn't you dry brush the mechanical parts?

Still don't have a light metal (Aforementioned only owning four colours). Going to do a few skulls and wires once I pick up a white and purple plus shading, then a light red dry brush on the feet and some chainmail drybrush on the arms and guns. I'll probably ink after that, and then buy basing material.

I know it's a bit of a weird order, but it's kinda being decided by how I can purchase the paints.

Also, what did you spray paint them as their base color?

Just dollar store black primer. Think I might use white next time, the colours took quite a few coats.

You sprayed too much, and obscured detail. It's literally triggering me just so you know Fergus. Also, I would suggest waiting until you have around 20 different paints before painting some of these =/. If you want I can tell you a lot of painting techniques or just show you videos... IT'll help your army look a lot more professional at least. Also, you're using skitarii allies?

Nothing wrong with thinning your paints and using a couple of coats. I dunno if just the primer you got was shitty, but it does look pretty thick.

The thickness is from the red mix I'm using, not the primer (No primer buildup on the base guys; there'd be the distinctive cracking); it would not stick to this goddamn black primer. Won't matter once I add shading though, the mix I'm using is going to look pastel rather than thick once it's accented. Also panther, the 3:1 rule has been with me since grade school, 20 seems pretty crazy for one mini.

You can always mix earth stuff with your paint for different colors. Coca Cola to make it darker, staniol for silver etc. etc.

The thickness is from the red mix I'm using, not the primer (No primer buildup on the base guys; there'd be the distinctive cracking); it would not stick to this goddamn black primer. Won't matter once I add shading though, the mix I'm using is going to look pastel rather than thick once it's accented. Also panther, the 3:1 rule has been with me since grade school, 20 seems pretty crazy for one mini.

20 is typical for most Armies paint jobs. You need it to actually make things look nice imho. At least you need some kind of metal for dry brushing.... I Just feel you nuked the detail on your model with your paint job =/

20 is typical for most Armies paint jobs. You need it to actually make things look nice imho. At least you need some kind of metal for dry brushing.... I Just feel you nuked the detail on your model with your paint job =/

Yeah but I don't actually have any of the other models right now (Aforementioned shipping from australia). Since I've ordered a large number of aunt viccies paints as well, I feel to buy more paints when I have a large supply of paints that will arrive at the same time as the models is a little redundant. But I also need to be getting these kastelans ready as they represent several hundred points in allies.

As for the detail, this is what an eavy Kastelan looks like:

17992712446_8e4ba88183_b.jpg

The vast majority of detail is non existent anyway/added on later. Just give it a chance, it won't look nearly as canvas as it does now. This isn't my first rodeo with large bland minis.

You can always mix earth stuff with your paint for different colors. Coca Cola to make it darker, staniol for silver etc. etc.

I'll be honest, first I've heard of that, might try it on some bits first.

Another question relating to the kastelan: I kept the leg armor and chest plate off because I thought the model looked cluttered when I was building it. Should I throw them on? The leg plates look a little comical, but the chest plate is a nice aquila.

Panther Warning: Extremely unfinished model.

AGRARGARGH

[ATTACH=full]4806[/ATTACH]

Fucking putty won't hold the flag pole straight. Suggestions for adhesing copper to plastic?

Fucking putty won't hold the flag pole straight. Suggestions for adhesing copper to plastic?

Rubber cement or some other high strength adhesive.