Sign in to follow this  
banebladeluv

Best Ice Creams

I scream, you scream, but mostly I scream because I have trouble modulating the volume at which I speak, especially when excited.

My local ice creamery Snowman is opening soon tomorrow, and that along with my boredom got me to compiling a list of my five favorite purveyors of frozen delights.

1. Toll Gate, operating out of Slingerlands, they make their own ice cream on site, and are open year round (which up here, is kind of a big deal). With flavors like Peanut Butter and Jelly, and Root Beer, they aren't afraid to get creative with the art of creamed ices.

2. Snowman, the local shop that I could just about spit on from where I live here in Troy. A seasonal venture thats open from March until October every year. Their peanut butter cup sundae is literally like crack to me, I don't even want to think of how much of my money I give them every season.

3. Stewarts, a local chain of gas stations/convenience stores started in Saratoga Springs and spread throughout New York and Vermont. I know what you're thinking, how good could gas station ice cream be? Well, Stewarts' success hinges on its local supply of fresh milk, in fact its the gimmick that got it where it is today, and trust me, its actually pretty good.

4. Ben and Jerry's, its a Vermont staple really, the pints you get in grocery stores don't do it proper justice though. Getting fresh Ben and Jerry's from one of their actual shops is something special. I've also heard that the shops can't hold a candle to trying some right off the production line during the factory tour, though I've not experienced it myself yet.

5. Friendly's.

I REALLY LIKE THE WATERMELON LOG, DON'T FUCKING JUDGE ME

Anything other than Blue Bell is viewed with disgust around these parts, except for hipsters who instead swear by Ben and Jerry's. I honestly can't recall seeing any namebrand other than those two.

Threads like these always makes me wonder where America's small businesses are? Everything seems franchised. Where is the A-team when you need them?

OT: We have farmers in the countryside that create excellent freshly made icecream, straight from the cow. Nothing better.

In my city's downtown there's a ice cream shop called the marble slab. They will take whatever flavour of ice cream you want and throw in on this ice cold marble table top slab.

Then they will take two metal looking scrapers and ask what toppings you want, this could range from m$m's and Reese's peanut butter cups to frozen berries and chocolate coatings.

A small waffle cone is like $8 but one of the best I've had.

There's one not a million miles from my apartment called the cold comfort. It's beautiful if you can handle the sheer amount of hippy vibes you get from going there.

In my city's downtown there's a ice cream shop called the marble slab. They will take whatever flavour of ice cream you want and throw in on this ice cold marble table top slab.

Then they will take two metal looking scrapers and ask what toppings you want, this could range from m$m's and Reese's peanut butter cups to frozen berries and chocolate coatings.

A small waffle cone is like $8 but one of the best I've had.

Marble Slab is a franchise, I used to have a few around me, but they've all been taken out by their competitor Cold Stone Creamery that does the exact same thing. Blue Bell and Ben and Jerry's are my good to; Blue Bell if its for more several people, Ben and Jerry's if its just for me. Also, there's a couple of custard places where I can get concretes. Back in Chicago, the place was called Scooters, here around Fairfax, I go to Freddy's for concretes.

Sign in to follow this