Sign in to follow this  
Ser_Fergus

External GPU Suggestions?

Was given fallout 4 over the weekend. My laptop hits all the specs except for a graphics card. Anyone have any experience using one, and have any suggestions?

Was given fallout 4 over the weekend. My laptop hits all the specs except for a graphics card. Anyone have any experience using one, and have any suggestions?

I have plenty of experience using a graphics card. Every time I start Dota 2 or Civ 4 (yes 4, not 5) I use my graphics card. Once I had an old graphics card, and after getting into an argument with my little brother, I threw it at him. It hit him in the face, not hard, but fairly embarrassing. Anyways. Hopefully this helps. As for suggestions, you should talk to someone who knows what the fuck they're talking about. Personally I'm not sure what I'm doing in this thread.

First question: Do you want a Laptop to simply run Fallout 4 or do you want full glorious experience?

Second question: What are your specs?

Third question: Budget?

edit: btw, eGPUs are very very expensive and making one for your own takes a lot of time and know how.

Why not buy desktop?

No space in my apartment. Seedy neighbourhood. Good chance it would be spotted from the window. All in all, too much money to risk.

First question: Do you want a Laptop to simply run Fallout 4 or do you want full glorious experience?

Second question: What are your specs?

Third question: Budget?

edit: btw, eGPUs are very very expensive and making one for your own takes a lot of time and know how.

Just run it, I have no issue with low settings.

Currently?

12 GB RAM (Potential for 16, but FO4 doesn't need that much even for high, and those ram chips get outdated so quickly)

I5 3.2 GHZ processor

1 Tb Free hard drive space

NVidia integrated graphics (This is the bottleneck: 100 mb of Vram)

No space in my apartment. Seedy neighbourhood. Good chance it would be spotted from the window. All in all, too much money to risk.

Just run it, I have no issue with low settings.

Currently?

12 GB RAM (Potential for 16, but FO4 doesn't need that much even for high, and those ram chips get outdated so quickly)

I5 3.2 GHZ processor

1 Tb Free hard drive space

NVidia integrated graphics (This is the bottleneck: 100 mb of Vram)

Budget is still a big thing because like I already said, eGPUs are overpriced. If you want to play Fallout on some low settings with those specs you I can recommend a 750 GTX Ti. Though, you need to get somekind of PCI adapter and god knows what.

Budget is still a big thing because like I already said, eGPUs are overpriced. If you want to play Fallout on some low settings with those specs you I can recommend a 750 GTX Ti. Though, you need to get somekind of PCI adapter and god knows what.

Yeah perhaps I should have specified. I do have a graphics card that could theoretically handle it. I was wondering about the existing pre-bonded ones, or the adapter. I'd probs cap out at 400$.

Yeah perhaps I should have specified. I do have a graphics card that could theoretically handle it. I was wondering about the existing pre-bonded ones, or the adapter. I'd probs cap out at 400$.

I'd suggest you to look up how to exactly get an usual GPU work as external GPU then. You should also consider getting a desktop PC and making room where you live. With $400 you can get easily a PC that runs Fallout4 smoothly. But then again currencies.

With $400 you can get easily a PC that runs Fallout4 smoothly

Are you sure? I hear this a lot, but the money always seems to stack up.

No way, real prices would be starting at 600$ for a computer to run fallout 4 at semi decent settings... (CPU)

By the way, you'll have to buy Nvidia because AMD cards perform worse because of Nvidia Gameworks not allowing AMD to optimize the graphics cards for games using it.

By smoothly I mean like it will run without lags. No high end shit. But I am not sure about prices in Canada.

It's pretty much a given in any urban centre. We have one of the lowest crime rates around but if you have large windows, you're still pretty much fucked.

• Like 1

It's pretty much a given in any urban centre. We have one of the lowest crime rates around but if you have large windows, you're still pretty much fucked.

Chain up some wolves in the front yard, on a long chain. Problem solved.

Has no one lived in a bad neighbourhood? Monitors/tvs are a big problem on ground floor apartments.

Move it in at 4AM and cover it with books before you leave to keep the niggers away.

Or just do what I do and cover your windows with aluminum foil.

Has no one lived in a bad neighbourhood? Monitors/tvs are a big problem on ground floor apartments.

I lived in the Edmonton China town...main level apartment. Yyp.

Ground floor peasants dun know bout mah 14th floor.

Anyone gets to my balcony, he's gotta be spiderman and he's pretty much earned my shit.

Ground floor peasants dun know bout mah 14th floor.

Anyone gets to my balcony, he's gotta be spiderman and he's pretty much earned my shit.

Pshh. Those high-rises are like traps. The peasants take over the bottom floor and you're stuck up there. You need a stand alone house, with a nice wall around it. And in the yard, some wolves. Nobody fucks with wolves. Not even Mexicans.

Why would you get an external graphics card anyway? Wouldn't that make it easier to steal than a regular computer and monitor? lol

Why would you get an external graphics card anyway? Wouldn't that make it easier to steal than a regular computer and monitor? lol

You grossly overestimate trailer trash. An external GPU usually looks like this

Internals_Giz.jpg

So nobody really recognizes it/knows its value. Break ins only really happen if there's an item of guaranteed value, like a tv/computer monitor that sort of thing.