Sign in to follow this  
Ser_Fergus

SOUTHERNERS, TEACH ME YOUR WAYS OF SWEET TEA

So here's the deal diplo, in a couple weeks begin my summer job where I so eight weeks across my island in various communities, dealing with kids for eight hour days. Obviously, caffeine is kind of necessary to solo 15-20 kids at a time.

Last year, started making home made iced tea to keep the caffeine content up, and it was delicious. It also doubles as a great drink for the kids on day trips, as they actually enjoy it, and it stops them from dying of dehydration, which is a plus.

However, my iced tea (And by extension sweet tea) lacks magic. Currently its just black tea sugar and lemon juice. Do y'all have some kind of secret? What makes sweet tea different?

I DESIRE YOUR NATIONAL SECRETS.

• Like 1

I am here.

You must use Luzianne tea, throw that Lipton shit out the window.

• Use fresh filtered cool water, don't get stuff out of the sink.
  • Use wooden spoons and a glass pitcher.
  • Add a hint of sugar on your first pitcher. When you drink this pitcher after 10 hours, you must increase the sugar slightly for the next pitcher of the day. Slowly increase the amount of sugar.
  • You can add a pitch of baking soda to the tea to remove the bitterness.
  • Burn splenda packets and don't go to restaraunts that lack pure sugar packets.
  • If you want a lemon flavor, make a pitcher of lemonade and take the ice cubes from the lemonade pitcher and use them in your iced tea glasses, they'll melt and give a lemon-ish flavor.
  • Let the tea settle down to room temperature before you shove it in the refigerator.
  • You can add pretty much any fruit to iced tea - pineapple, mango, peach, etc.
  • Pour juice or lemonade into it, if you use 1-2 cup of juice/lemonade for every 8-9 cups of tea in it, you won't get the Arnold Palmer ratio but you'll get something better.

[quote name='Thurr']You don't give kids sugarred and caffeinated drinks. [/quote]I do give them decaffeinated ones because health issues, but trust me. A happy kid full of sugar is much more fun than an unhappy calm one. I only give it out on the long day trips in the sun (Our sun isn't that impressive, but it still enough to fuck up people who live in cold climes) and when they get tired they get whiny and unmotivated, which sucks when you are still a couple km from the beach. Thanks @Talinn very helpful. Decaf good though? For the reasons I just mentioned to thurr.

Decaf is fine, and often I'll drink unsweetened tea and decaff. For some reason people think that sweet tea is way better than soda and stuff when it's really not. I just drink a "balance"

*cough cough*

Ingredients/Tools:

• 1 Gallon (or whatever similar size is available up there) Glass Pitcher or Jar (avoid plastic) with lid or other covering
  • Filtered/Distilled Water

• Honey/Sugar
  • 4-5 Large Luzianne Tea Bags
  • Sliced Lemons

Directions:

1. Ensure the water is uncontaminated and the container is thoroughly clean.
  2. Fill container with water and place tea bags inside. Ensure the tags are laying on the outside of the container and seal the lid.
  3. Place sealed container somewhere in direct sunlight that it will be undisturbed and allow it to seep for 3-5 Hours depending on strength of the sun that day and desired strength of taste. It is perfectly acceptable to let it sit all day for maximum strength.
  4. Remove tea bags from container and sweeten with either sugar or honey as desired.
  5. Depending on personal preference/time constraints: Allow to cool down to room temperature before placing into the fridge to chill to desired temperature and serve without ice or simply serve immediately over ice.

What kind of shitholes do you guys live in that you have to filter your tap water?

What kind of shitholes do you guys live in that you have to filter your tap water?

A place where the pipes are over 100 years old and have collected insane amounts of rust and mineral deposits.

A place where the pipes are over 100 years old and have collected insane amounts of rust and mineral deposits.

'Merica

The water around here is unfit for consumption thanks to the concentration of chemical processing plants.

I laughed way too hard at this.

The water around here is unfit for consumption thanks to the concentration of chemical processing plants.

Definitely the commies are behind this

even a communist lithuania have good tap water

m8 do u even living conditions

even a communist lithuania have good tap water

m8 do u even living conditions

That moment when post commie countries have better water quality than USA. (I can drink tap water with no problem here in Prague)

slaaaav.jpg

That moment when post commie countries have better water quality than USA. (I can drink tap water with no problem here in Prague)

slaaaav.jpg

time to tupac

slaaaav.jpg

Why would you drink water, when you can have beer at less price (isnt this the national czech dream?)

Eh its only portions of the country that has those issues. I can drink tap in cali