Sign in to follow this  
Feanor

I need someone computer literate...

To help me with an issue I'm having. I have a laptop, running Win 8. I occasionally get Disk Usage spikes, 99 or 100 %. The cause is usually System, but sometimes other processes like Firefox, or my antivirus. When I checked the properties of the System process, it says the problem is NT Kernel & System. Now here's where I run into a problem. Online solutions posted by others involve running a Kernel Viewer program. But it doesn't work or exist for Win 8. Instead microsoft has some giant tools package (6 gigs in total). I suspect I don't need all of it's components, or even most of them. But I don't know what I need, and I certainly don't know what to do with this toolkit once I download it.

So... help?

Here's one of the many (similar) solutions posted.

http://rickteck.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/troubleshooting-the-system-process-cpu-spikes/

Here's the utility that windows says replaced KernRate Viewer. It's called Windows Performance Toolkit Technical Reference.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh162945.aspx

Its been my experience with win8 that there arent alot of 3rd party tools for it. Either its to new or people hate it that much, or its just that closed off. Hell, I know a few people who didnt want to deal with microsofts bullshit and forgot their password. They just did total reinstalls with new emails and it apparently worked fine.(I did not witness this. I dont use win8. The only people I know that use win8 are women.)