Sign in to follow this  
Baledwyr

Australia introduces tough tobacco law

0,,16422084_401,00.jpg

Legislation has come into effect in Australia meaning all cigarettes must be sold in identical packaging. The law, the first of its kind in the world, survived a constitutional challenge by tobacco companies.

Australian smokers now have to buy their tobacco products in standard olive-brown packets that feature graphic images of diseased body parts.

The laws, which came into effect on Saturday, are aimed at reducing any perceived glamour associated with smoking.

"The challenge for us as a government is to make it as unappealing as possible," Health Minister Tanya Plibersek said on Friday, ahead of the law's coming into force. "If we can prevent young people from taking it up, that's a lifetime gift to them."

The legislation is considered to be the strictest in the world, with all bright colors and logos removed. Cigarette brand names on the new packaging are all written in the same typeface and each pack bears large pictures depicting health conditions that have been linked to smoking.

They include shots of mouth cancer or a gangrenous foot, as well as the image of a skeletal man who is dying.

British American Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco, Philip Morris and Japan Tobacco lost a legal appeal in August.

The move is being watched closely in Britain, Norway, New Zealand, Canada and India, where governments are considering the introduction of similar measures.

Australia has seen its proportion of smokers fall from about 50 percent in the 1950s to 15 percent at present.

rc/ccp (AFP, Reuters)

http://www.dw.de/australia-introduces-tough-tobacco-law/a-16422014

Personal Comment From Bors:

Eh...fuck em. However, if they go after alcohol, they really will be killing a MASSIVE industry that a high percentage of the population relies upon; not just the wine growers and brewers but also the tourism sectre, hotels, resorts, restaurants, etc.

People started revolting and pictures are on facebook like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1408[/ATTACH]

Who ever made that.

24932019.jpg

Yea but the photo is about how these pictures make smokers feel.

I am not a smoker but my parents are and these pictures do not help them quit at all, I think the photo is trying to say you make us smokers feel like shit then why shouldn't fat kids and adults that eat loads of Maccas see what they will become if they eat too much and to show models that animals die for their makeup.

The problem is though, what if someone doesn't eat loads of Maccas and someone doesn't use makeup everytime they go out.

Something does need to be done to help smokers but these pictures are definitly not helping the situation.

I don't know who made that photo but whoever did probably only did it for likes and shares xD but meh.

• Like 1

Monotony with the passive aggressive mass-dislike.

Care to explain and defend your opinions, sir?

I can't go around disliking people's posts? Well, I guess I'll give it a shot, even though I know most of my opinions are shot down anyway because of my horrid debating skills.

I disliked Steak's, your's, and Bor's posts because Snowball seemed to bring up a good argument with (yes some FB picture propaganda) the picture. While you all just shrugged it aside as 'the usual silly fb propaganda' and joked about it as if it held no merit. And I just found that to be very rude in character, but that's just how I felt about it.

I can definitely agree that the pictures will be preventative, but you're totally forgetting about the people who still do smoke. They would not want that on their choice of product. Snowball's picture made the perfect argument (at least with unhealthy things (depending on what your definition of unhealthy is) that if you're going to start using tactics like this to terrify people out of buying things that are supposedly unhealthy for them, then in a sense it would be hypocritical to not put these pictures on things like big macs, general liquor products, or even tanning booths.

In fact, let's go the extra mile, because while we're on the subject of discriminating and incriminating things that are unhealthy for us, we should just label a whole shitload of items that you and I purchase out of own pocket, that are sadly unhealthy to us.

But that's just in defense with the picture, my personal opinion about this whole thing is much similar but with a twist to it.

I don't think pictures of EXTREME results should be put on unhealthy or potentially dangerous products. Definitely warning labels, because it's always good to warn someone, and if they take the advice good for them, they're smart about their health.

Put warning labels, and not pictures on products, and let's run that scenario with the fact that individuals should be taking responsibility for their actions. If you shoot yourself in the lung, that's your fault, not the company's fault, therefore if you smoke a pack or two a day, and your lungs come out black and crusty, that's not the company's fault, that's yours for smoking, and there are already warning labels on all cigarette packs. People should be more conscious of their environment, and what they consume and the rate at which they consume said items.

So yeah, that's my two cents on the subject and why I disliked your posts.

• Like 1

Exactly "Anything can kill you."

Just because cigarettes have a higher rate doesn't mean the public should have to deal with unrequired disgusting photos.

Smoking is an addiction but non-smokers don't seem to understand that it is really, really hard for some people to quit.

Smokers can't watch TV without seeing disgusting adds, can't go out in public without being judged and even though cigarette packets already had pictures and warnings they're two times the size so you have to see them!

It is incredibly judgemental a lot of people smoke weed and can watch TV smoke and do anything they like without being judged.

The pictures is just pointing out that if smokers have to deal with pictures, adds and judgemental comments so why shouldn't fat people? or barbie doll like girls with their makeup?

Alchoholics are in a similair position to smokers so I can understand that but the adds aren't as crude.

Exactly "Anything can kill you."

Just because cigarettes have a higher rate doesn't mean the public should have to deal with unrequired disgusting photos.

Smoking is an addiction but non-smokers don't seem to understand that it is really, really hard for some people to quit.

Smokers can't watch TV without seeing disgusting adds, can't go out in public without being judged and even though cigarette packets already had pictures and warnings they're two times the size so you have to see them!

It is incredibly judgemental a lot of people smoke weed and can watch TV smoke and do anything they like without being judged.

The pictures is just pointing out that if smokers have to deal with pictures, adds and judgemental comments so why shouldn't fat people? or barbie doll like girls with their makeup?

Alchoholics are in a similair position to smokers so I can understand that but the adds aren't as crude.

Everybody has to look at those pictures/adds... Besides, smoking is so fucking unhealthy for the smoker and the people around the smoker. It's actually good that these pictures act at deterrents because smoking is pretty disgusting and it will be good once society drops smoking all together.

As do you and Sno, I've quite enjoyed this.

Uhhh....I don't think this is the "Sno" you're thinking of >_>

That law is nothing. People don't feel like buying cigs here anymore because they are only available on cashiers, so if you want cigs you will hold up queue and people will get annoyed.

Most smokers know the harm and most people wouldn't even smoke for decade or two, to cause lot of damage.

plus, smoking has it's good parts and some bad.

cigs,

some people really like cigarette and can enjoy it without being addicted. Passive smoking does no harm unless someone at your home is doing it. I rather like smell of cigarette anyway, some people smell bad without the cigarette anyway- Breath smelling of cigarette is way more better than just bad smelling breath.

That law is nothing. People don't feel like buying cigs here anymore because they are only available on cashiers, so if you want cigs you will hold up queue and people will get annoyed.

Most smokers know the harm and most people wouldn't even smoke for decade or two, to cause lot of damage.

plus, smoking has it's good parts and some bad.

cigs,

some people really like cigarette and can enjoy it without being addicted. Passive smoking does no harm unless someone at your home is doing it. I rather like smell of cigarette anyway, some people smell bad without the cigarette anyway- Breath smelling of cigarette is way more better than just bad smelling breath.

In Australia there is also a law where grocery stores/super markets/any shop can only sell cigarettes from one cashier/checkout.

I don't know about finland but most people get addicted to smoking, it's easier to not smoke at all then trying to quit smoking.

Smoky breath is gross and taking up smoking because of bad breath is a horrible reason chew gum instead.

Kind of irrelevant but I just want to point out the packaging is dark black not olive brown. Also the images take up 80-90% of the front package on tobacco pouches. I'm a smoker and I think we should actually go a step further and just ban people born after a certain year from purchasing tobacco products.

I just wished tobacco was what it was back in the good old days, its hard to get real shit anymore without any added additives. American Spirit is the best out there so far.

That's an interesting idea. I'm surprised I've never seen that floated around before.

Obviously a measure like that would be harder passed in the US, I'm sure there would be a supreme court case over the constitutionality of it, but it's an interesting idea.

Disliked by accident.

But yeah, something like this would never pass in the US. Tobacco companies make too much money.