Sign in to follow this  
Satans_Arme

Simen Says Skol

Reading Balldude's thread about what beer to get, I had an idea. What if we created a list?

I am generally a beer-loving guy. I do enjoy most beer, though obviously some more then others. I figured, why not make a list? Why not make a list for ALL of diplo? A sort of archive of beer. A list of lager.

I propose to thee, dear diplomunchers, that we, united create a list of all beer we've tasted, and try our best to rank them. That way we will know what to avoid, and what to get when we want to try something new an evening (I usually do this as often as I can, as I am very much a beer man and love to mix things up)

As you post your opinions on a beer, I'll do my best adding it to the list. I'll make a list of what I can vaguely remember myself that I've tasted and how I felt about it. I'd say we each rank a beer 1-100, 1 being disgusting and 100 being the nectar of gods. I do believe this can be a quite useful thing for all of us, and an interesting research on what we each like. Feel free to add a few facts about the beer, so that others get an idea of what it tastes like.

First, my list. I do apologize for the rather weak ammount of beer that is here. I can't remember that well how everything tasted, and a lot of the beer is Norwegian and also locally brewed. Therefore I render it irrelevant for most of you. Anyway, here it is:

Kronenbourg 1664 - 85

A sort of sweet tasting French beer, my experience is an aftertaste with a hint of liquorice.

Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale - 70

Now, usually I do enjoy a pale ale better then the darker variety. However, the allure of this one is extraordinary. It has a nitrogenated cream head similar to Guinness.

Guinness - 79

Self-explanatory? Everyone should know their Guinness. It is an Irish dry stout, rich on taste. Probably the reason why its so popular.

Heineken - 60

A good beer. I get it from time to time, to get something different then your usual beer.

Carlsberg - 55

A mediocre beer. In my experience doesn't have the same ammount of taste as other international beer.

Tyskie - 59

A good beer, stronger then the usual beer with 5,6%, though not as much taste as others.

Flensburger Pilsner - 45

A German beer. Didn't really fit my tastes, having a rather dry taste.

Corona - ??

Oh come on, boys. This was made for Mexican women.

Tuborg - 57

What I believe is the national Danish beer. Rather good, though nothing special.

San Miguel - 54

Can't remember much about what it tasted like. Remember that I liked it, though.

Miller Genuine Draft - 35

One of the worse beers I've tasted. Way too sour in its taste.

Tiger - 68

Made in Singapore, the Tiger pale beer is very tasteful, one of the better pale beers I've yet to taste.

Spitfire Kentish Ale - 75

Very good beer. Made for the fifty year anniversary of the battle of britain. Will be getting it again. Has a Kentish, hoppy flavour which makes it one of my favourites.

Alpha Dog - 70

Made by the BrewDog company in Scotland. A bitter beer, just to my taste.

Budweiser - 67

The original Budweiser. Known as Czechvar in the United States and Canada. I'd say a lot better then its American counterpart.

Newcastle Brown Ale - 63

Not very good on a can, which pulls it down. Very good in a glass, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIPLO'S RATING

Guinness - 80

Diplo's Verdict

- Bball: Though I've yet to grow into the taste of guinness, I feel like a fucking man while drinking it. It's also acclaimed to be one of, if not the worlds best brews.

- Satans: Self-explanatory? Everyone should know their Guinness. It is an Irish dry stout, rich on taste. Probably the reason why its so popular.

- Mass: Guinness is a liquid meal, never drink it with a meal. I drank 2 pints of it with a hearty Irish stew at a pub once. I felt like I was gonna explode, I was so full. However, great taste.

Heineken - 55 - I would never go out of my way to buy it, too pissy of a taste.

Diplo's Verdict

- Bball: I would never go out of my way to buy it, too pissy of a taste.

- Satans: A good beer. I get it from time to time, to get something different then your usual beer.

- Inferous: Heineken is pisswater.

Corona - 55

Diplo's Verdict

- Bball: Nice for dates I guess.

- Satans: Oh come on, boys. This was made for Mexican women.

Blue Moon - 80

Diplo's Verdict

- Bball: Fucking awesome, pretty expensive so I rated it a little lower than I otherwise would. It's truly a beer where quality triumphs over quality. You drink this to enjoy a superior beer, not to get drunk.

- Csigs: It's just a beer you drink when you want to enjoy getting drunk.

Redstripe - 70

Diplo's Verdict

- Bball: Great taste, cool bottle.

Hobgoblin Ruby Red Beer - 70

Diplo's Verdict

- Baledwyr: A ruby red ale on its way to being almost a stout - flavours of liquorice and cherries

Kingfisher Premium Lager - 30

Diplo's Verdict

- Baledwyr: About as AVERAGE a beer as Fosters is. A wanting 3 little bowing hindus out of ten.

Baltika - 50

Diplo's Verdict

- Baledwyr: Initial taste is like I've just drunk some water off of a cold green leaf right after a rain storm - oddly fitting for russian alcohol that it has to do with snow and stormy weather. It has a fresh quality about it, recommend as a good summer beer as it literally makes (me anyway) you feel cool (lol no, not just the fact that its chilled, you drop kick) like whiskey warms you up.

Skull Splitter Orcadian Ale - 70

Diplo's Verdict

- Baledwyr: Like being hit in the mouth with the back of a spade...that subsides as suddenly as it hits you... almost curious background flavour of....vegemite?! Like a prison Yogi who fucks you like a boo boo to let you know whose boss, then gives you a pack of faggies to let you know there are no hard feelings.

Harpoon Winter Warmer - 80

Diplo's Verdict

- Baneblade: Shit is so cash, all the hopsy flavor of a pale ale, with the sensual undertones of cinnamon and nutmeg to tease your tastebuds, not to mention the beautiful deep reddish brown hue of the drink, not gonna lie, Harpoon impresses me again.

Snake Dog IPA - 81

Diplo's Verdict

- Simen: The bottle was familiar, I hadn't tried it earlier because it looked a little... cheap, but I decided to do so on new years, and my god it did not disappoint. As soon as I taste it its like there's an explosion of hoppy flavour in my mouth. Delicious. There may be a hint of caramel aftertaste.

Wells Banana Bread Beer - 60

Diplo's Verdict

- Baledwyr: Verdict, Not to foul....must be drunk very, very cold...in an icey cold glass....second it starts to get warm, it turns manky as all fuck.

Tooheys New - 65

Diplo's Verdict

- Mass: Only drink it tapped. For some reason it taste so sweet from a tap after a hard day of uni it's the best drink to hit the spot. Extremely refreshing. However, once drunken from a bottle it loses it's sweetness I find, is it the temperature difference?

The Sierra Nevada Celebrations IPA - 70

Diplo's Verdict

- Bball: Very malty and bitter, but honestly pretty damn refreshing and nice with a meal. It really came off as a feel good chill brew to me.

Three Sheets Pale Ale - 50

Diplo's Verdict

- Baledwyr: Barely noticeable citrus bouquet, quite dry down and as an after affect. To be honest if Lord Nelson had shared a mug with the lads before Trafalgar, I don't think he would have selected this brew had it been available.

Harpoon Winter Warmer - 60

Diplo's Verdict

- Csigs: Came highly recommended by my friends, but I wasn't the biggest fan. It was by no means bad, but it wasn't nearly as flavorful as I was expecting. There's a cinnamon/nutmeg aftertaste that sits nicely, and for a winter beer it isn't too heavy.

Harpoon Chocolate Stout - 90

Diplo's Verdict

- Csigs: Rich and chocolaty. As soon as it hits your mouth there's a rich dark chocolate flavor. Very malty. Hint of espresso, although apparently I was just tasting from no where. If you like dark beer you'll like this. Great after dinner beer.

The thread name is mostly because I couldn't come up with anything more catchy

:/

But I figure you'd know your beer, Viscunt. Be a GWM and contribute.

Reading Balldude's thread about what beer to get, I had an idea. What if we created a list?

I am generally a beer-loving guy. I do enjoy most beer, though obviously some more then others. I figured, why not make a list? Why not make a list for ALL of diplo? A sort of archive of beer. A list of lager.

I propose to thee, dear diplomunchers, that we, united create a list of all beer we've tasted, and try our best to rank them. That way we will know what to avoid, and what to get when we want to try something new an evening (I usually do this as often as I can, as I am very much a beer man and love to mix things up)

As you post your opinions on a beer, I'll do my best adding it to the list. I'll make a list of what I can vaguely remember myself that I've tasted and how I felt about it. I'd say we each rank a beer 1-100, 1 being disgusting and 100 being the nectar of gods. I do believe this can be a quite useful thing for all of us, and an interesting research on what we each like. Feel free to add a few facts about the beer, so that others get an idea of what it tastes like.

First, my list. I do apologize for the rather weak ammount of beer that is here. I can't remember that well how everything tasted, and a lot of the beer is Norwegian and also locally brewed. Therefore I render it irrelevant for most of you. Anyway, here it is:

Kronenbourg 1664 - 85

A sort of sweet tasting French beer, my experience is an aftertaste with a hint of liquorice.

Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale - 70

Now, usually I do enjoy a pale ale better then the darker variety. However, the allure of this one is extraordinary. It has a nitrogenated cream head similar to Guinness.

Guinness - 75

Self-explanatory? Everyone should know their Guinness. It is an Irish dry stout, rich on taste. Probably the reason why its so popular.

Heineken - 60

A good beer. I get it from time to time, to get something different then your usual beer.

Carlsberg - 55

A mediocre beer. In my experience doesn't have the same ammount of taste as other international beer.

Tyskie - 59

A good beer, stronger then the usual beer with 5,6%, though not as much taste as others.

Flensburger Pilsner - 45

A German beer. Didn't really fit my tastes, having a rather dry taste.

Corona - ??

Oh come on, boys. This was made for Mexican women.

Tuborg - 57

What I believe is the national Danish beer. Rather good, though nothing special.

San Miguel - 54

Can't remember much about what it tasted like. Remember that I liked it, though.

I'll rate the ones I've drank out of these...

Guinness: 90 - Though I've yet to grow into the taste of guinness, I feel like a fucking man while drinking it. It's also acclaimed to be one of, if not the worlds best brews.

Heineken: 50 - I would never go out of my way to buy it, too pissy of a taste.

Corona: 55 - Nice for dates I guess.

I'll add some brews that I know aren't lagers but oh hwell.

Blue Moon: 80 - Fucking awesome, pretty expensive so I rated it a little lower than I otherwise would. It's truly a beer where quality triumphs over quality. You drink this to enjoy a superior beer, not to get drunk.

Redstripe: 70 - Great taste, cool bottle.

Am I aloud to bring the mainstream brews into discussion, particularly the American? (Miller, Coors, Anheiser Busch...etc.)

When I used to drink heavily, I would stick to Ales. As for Lager's, I personally can not list anything that totally stands out, for me. Perhaps if I had to suggest a decent lager, it would have been Moosehead (CDN), but not now. Something seems to have changed drastically in their brewing method, and quite frankly, it tastes like mass produced, commercial swill. They claim to be Kanada's oldest Independant Brewery. I call bullshit.

Now Ales, I could contribute a worth while opinion.

When I used to drink heavily, I would stick to Ales. As for Lager's, I personally can not list anything that totally stands out, for me. Perhaps if I had to suggest a decent lager, it would have been Moosehead (CDN), but not now. Something seems to have changed drastically in their brewing method, and quite frankly, it tastes like mass produced, commercial swill. They claim to be Kanada's oldest Independant Brewery. I call bullshit.

Now Ales, I could contribute a worth while opinion.

I'd love to hear your take on ales, I prefer ales as well... PA's, IPA's anything really.

I've also been very interested in Newcastle Brown ALe but haven't tried it.

I'd love to hear your take on ales, I prefer ales as well... PA's, IPA's anything really.

I've also been very interested in Newcastle Brown ALe but haven't tried it.

I have tried hundreds of different Ales, but there are a select few (that I remember the names of) that stand out, and are a must drink, if you're ever over there.

1: Timothy Taylor's Landlord. Prolly the best Ale I have ever tried.

2: Turkey Bitter. A nice bitter that doesn't sit heavy. Decent for a session.

3: Marston's Oyster Stout. A stout that beats Guinness, 10 fold.

There are so many guest Ales that I have tried and throughly enjoyed. However, it's hard to remember all the names. Pubs over there will often bring in what is called "Guest Ales", which is basically a keg or 2 of some obscure brewery. Pubs may only offer these Ales, once or twice every decade, so generally if you stumble upon something rather tasty, fill yer boots, cause you may just never taste it again.

Newky Brown is ten times better, when hand pulled. The bottle does not compliment it at all, nor does the Taps that you'll find at your local English pub, in the West. I've noticed a massive difference from large breweries, like Tetley's and their Bitter, it always tastes a lot smoother and creamery when hand pulled, comapred to on tap or bottle. Once a keg of Ale is tapped, it only lasts for 4 days tops, and a proper Landlord will clean the lines daily and rinse it throughly. Also, in my years of pub crawling, I came to notice to not trust a Landlord who isn't shitfaced by 5pm and does not have a beer gut. They will always serve you up a excellent pint.

I had like 8 different kinds of beer last saturday.

Miller, tasting like piss.

Honestly, how can people drink that?

Had Spitfire Kentish Ale. Now that was a good ale. Too bad I had to chug it as we had a drinking game with our fantasy premier league teams, and Suarez scoring two for Liverpool made me have to chug both that and one of my Guinness

:/

Spitfire is a decent over-the-counter pint. I've never tried the Kentish Ale, however. Does it have that bitter-fruity taste?

If you can get a hold of it try a Saison which is essentially a Belgian (or rather Walloon) style of seasonal pale ale that was originally created by each farmer (who created their own individual saison) as a reward for their seasonal workers (since they paid shit and two nuts otherwise), a really good Australian version (which you probably won't get a hold of unless you order it off the interbutts - worth it by the way) is:

Chevalier Saison - from Bridgeroad Brewers

chevalier-saison.jpg

http://www.bridgeroadbrewers.com.au/chevalier-saison.php

The Bouquet is of peaches or even mango with a hint of passion fruit...its cloudy (like a good pale ale ought to be) it's like drinking summer in a bottle...like there should be a swimming pool nearby and a jacaranda closer still.

What does Victoria Bitter taste like from the pump/tap? I tried it over here, in a can. I could taste a decent pint, but the can never helps.

Can is shit-tier, stubbies (normal bottle) are fine if you want something dirt cheap, but the Pint is the only time Ill drink VB anymore - it went shit for a very long while after they decided to lower the alco quantity. Their sales dropped off something fierce, but they realised the error of their soberino ways and brought back the biff just recently.

• Like 2

Been drinking LongTrail I.P.A. and Ale all day

Who suggested it? O'm too lazy to go back and look.

My uncle brourght it again from Vermont...

IT's tone of the best beers I've ever had.

trying a stout chocolate porter tonight, Gonna get straight dickered each beer is 10% and it goes down the throat so smoothly

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I had Newcastle Brown Ale for the first time yesterday.

Not very good on a can, although when I poured it in a glass it was SO MUCH BETTER.

I also had some Guinness. Mmmm.

Newky Brown in a can is horrible. In fact it tastes totally different from a hand pull, and even tastes better when drinking it in Newcastle.

• Like 1